Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Taking Gas into Baja
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 06:50 PM

South of 32 degrees N., Mexoleum evaporatus occurs which results in the condensation of petoleum. It remains in it's liquid state but it now takes up less space like Campbell's soup.

This is why the Pemex pump will register that you can fit 23 liters in to a 19 liter can.

Once you get to the more arid regions of the peninsula they will add water to the fuel.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
South of 32 degrees N., Mexoleum evaporatus occurs which results in the condensation of petoleum. It remains in it's liquid state but it now takes up less space like Campbell's soup.

So you're saying I can fill the tank and have lunch at the same time?

What a country!

BajaHawk
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 02:01 PM

"Other than the gas being cheaper, another benefit of taking your unfilled cans to Mexico is that they expand when you cross the border. I don't know how it happens but most times you can get 22-23 ltrs in a 19 ltr can. Magic!"

... that, and just having an extra 10 gals, is why I inquired about being able to bring some down. Does everyone think gas is still cheaper in Mex vs. San Diego. Seems it was a little more costly in Mex last summer.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 02:10 PM

I never really see cheaper cost of gasline in Mexico..oh well...maybe a dime less or whatever. Hardly enough saved to buy me a fish taco with the savings! I think it may be a misconception to some Greenhorns, that gas down there is dirt cheap. It's not!

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 03:37 PM
Gas Last Summer

The prices for Gasoline in San Felipe last summer (verde, Roja):

Jun-- 5.86 / 6.92 pesos por litro
Jul-- 5.88 / 6.94
Aug-- 5.89 / 6.95
Sep-- 5.91 / 6.98

The Peso was (approx):

Jun 03--- 11.25
Jun 12--- 11.15
Jul 19--- 11.20
Aug 07--- 11.25
Aug 21--- 11.15
Sep 11--- 11.45

BTW: I always carry some gasoline when heading south. I have NEVER had to pour it out. I used to carry a plywood box I had made for two Military style Jerry cans. The first time I crossed the border in February after the law had been changed , I was told not to do it again. Now I usually have one 5 gallon and one 2.5 gallon on board. It's been questioned a few times, but waved off.

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by MrBillM]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.