Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: FM3 Saga Part I
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:15 PM
FM3 Saga Part I

The story of the FM3, otherwise known as a resident visa for gringos living in Mexico.

The saga starts when we are informed by the bank in San Jose del Cabo that Paula cannot open a bank account without an FM3. This came as a little surprise to us and our builder since we had opened an account in the past on a normal tourist visa, and the builder had opened joint accounts with several clients without FM3?s on numerous occasions very recently. OK, so things have changed as many on this board have said. We can roll with it. And besides, it's the right thing to do.

Since I was still in the states at this time I went to the Mexican Consulate in San Diego to find out what I would have to do to get an FM3. The consulate is in a very nice part of town, Little Italy?go figure. Without having to stand in line, I got the list of things I would need from a very courteous lady (English is spoken). After a quick lunch in Little Italy, I went back home to get the appropriate paperwork.

They wanted passport photos (3), completion of the form they gave me, and proof of income consisting of bank statements for the past six months. I got the stuff together and went back the next day. I gave the paperwork to the nice lady. She looked it over and told me to come back tomorrow to pick up my FM3. Easy!

The next day I drove back to San Diego for the third time and finally got the document I was looking for. It really was pretty easy, and I think I could have done it in two trips if I knew to bring the bank statement copies and passport photos the first day. Then I could have filled out the form right there and turned it all in on Day One. Day Two would have been pick it up day.

Great, now I have my FM3 and I am ready to fly south to see my sweetheart who is living in a trailer park while our house is being built. Off I go with a renewed sense of belonging. Heh, heh, I?m a real guy now! I arrive at Los Cabos airport and after deplaning find a very long line to check all us tourists in to Mexico. There must be four jet planes worth of people standing in the hot sun, all trying to squeeze through one door of the terminal.

But wait, I ain?t no regular turista, I?m a residente, and I get to go to the other line that has about three people in it. Life is good, and I breeze by the waiting hoard, trying to suppress my air of superiority.

My smug elation lasts about ten seconds until I ask a lady in a uniform if I am truly in the right line with my FM3. She says yes I am, but that I will need a completed red form as well as the FM3 when I get up to the counter. A red form! Nobody ever said anything about a red form! They give everyone on the plane a blue form, not a red one. I decide to just act stupid (natural) when I get to the head of the line and see what happens.

I hand my passport and FM3 to the man and he proceeds to stamp, stamp, stamp (they love to stamp things here) and he hands them back to me with a nod. All done. No mention of a red form. What a relief! Then comes the kicker. ?Within 30 days you must register your FM3 at Immigration in Los Cabos.? And I thought it was going to be easy.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:31 PM

I think things will get easier for you as the years pass. I sometimes wonder why I get by with so little hassle. I get my renewal in two trips, usually taking less than 24 hours total, less than one hour per visit. I haven't had a Mexican bank account since 1997. They accept computer copies of my online banking transactions. This will be my 5th year on my current fm-3, new pictures again next year. Sometimes they suggest that I apply for an fm-2, I tell them thanks, but no thanks, this is just fine for me.

Two things to remember: 1. Learn what they want and give it to them. 2. Treat them with respect.

La Paz office!

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:36 PM

made the same mistake in arizona. The consulate made things so easy.... only to find out that the real power is your local immagration office near your mexican residence.. for me a couple hours away.. it got easier on the renewals
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 07:29 AM

Are you all aware that you can apply for an "FM-2" without having to go through "FM-3" first?

it's a fact, no one says anything about it because more dinero if you go through both..................

Got the info through a legal org. in Mexico City..it's the law.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 07:31 AM

Senor Ralph,

wanna buy a good boat

the phantom....

when you arriving, should have been today

big fiesta on my beach lot!!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 07:39 AM

George

4 weeks... save some fiesta time for me

Ralph
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
Are you all aware that you can apply for an "FM-2" without having to go through "FM-3" first?

it's a fact, no one says anything about it because more dinero if you go through both..................

Got the info through a legal org. in Mexico City..it's the law.

can you give us more info on how you do this? I was always told only after 5 years of having fm3.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 04:10 AM

I will try to locate the site...a Mexicano legal firm witn an info page...all on the up and up...you just file for the 2 instead of the 3..

later george
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 04:11 AM

Unfortuneately I found out a week after getting FM 2...lawyer won't tell you, 2 fees are better then one!!!
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 04:25 AM
fm3?? fm2??

what is the differences between the fm3 and the fm2? other then you can work in mexico with a fm2 i have one more renewal on my fm3 are there any benifits for me to get a fm2 next time i have no plans on working in mexico

have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 04:41 AM

you can also work off an FM 2

same requirements as FM 3 re work

can't come up with Law Firm with all info, I remember it begins with an A has a J & I in it.....also got it from a Nomad on this site..

Anybody got the answer??
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 05:35 AM

With an FM2 you need to stay in Mexico all year...

With an FM3 you can go to other countries with no limits. There is no limit on traveling.

Both need to be renewed yearly.

Both can have a rider added to allow you to work in Mexico in a limited capacity.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 05:42 AM

FM2 - I was told (several times by different imigration people) I can only be outisde Mexico for 18 months total out of the 5 years. It is for imigrants to m
Mexico - not tourists and visitors. At the end of 5 years of FM2, you get stamped as permanent resident. We have been told here than you can no longer apply for the FM2 without first having the FM3. There was a short period when you could but it has expired.

:?:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 12:46 PM

Site for very good info re: Fm's etc. is:

www.ajijiclaw.com

good luck, i'm goin fishin!
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 07:25 PM

Did you retire yet?.....June 1 was my last day....so far so good...:lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 07:30 PM
Don't Be a Cheapskate

Go to a broker and have them do the paperwork. They can explain everything to you and tell you exactly what it takes to get the FM2 or FM3 at that particular moment. $25 - $30 for their service is so cheap that it's not even worth thinking about. If you do have to think about it, you're living too close to the bone.

[Edited on 6-7-2005 by MrBillM]
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 09:43 PM
thanks mrbill

i all readdy have a fm3 for 4 years i have gone throu a broker the first renewal took 10 days i now just do it my self in 2days

have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 10:02 PM

Surfer jim i been semi retired for nine yrs my wife has 2 yrs to go
thanks captain george and bob and susan for the info i like knowing whats happening and planning for it a lot of so called profesional ppl in mexico dont have the perspective of a gringo
like when i was in imagration office a guy came in said he needed a turist visa imagration checked his passport and said you can go to the paper place and get 4 forms and bring then here ill fill it out then take them to the bank and pay and have it stamped then bring it backtomorrow and i give you the visa OR "just pay here and ill give it to you now" he was totaly lost by the options and as i heard it i was floored too he asked me what her should do i said id would just pay him ?? he did and whent on his way with his visa have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-8-2005 at 10:26 AM

Although numerous people do the whole process themselves, especially renewals, there are enough horror stories to make the point that all does not always go well.

When my renewal comes up, I drop by the broker's casa, sign a bunch of blank forms, give her my current FM3 and her payment.
She drops me an e-mail telling me that the temps are available if I want them and when I can stop at the immigration office to pick up the new FM3s. I stop in on that date, sign and go on my way. Worth every dollar.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2005 at 10:54 AM

George

The website you are probably thinking of is www.ajijiclaw.com

It is a very common misconception that you have to have an FM-3 before applying for an FM-2...and yes, the FM-2 restricts your time out of Mexico and is designed for immigrants.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.