Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: FM3 Saga Part II
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:45 PM
FM3 Saga Part II

I really have enjoyed all this in a perverse kind of way. Here is part II.

After enjoying ourselves for a few days we decided it was time to go into Cabo to the immigration office to get the FM3 validated, stamped or whatever. The office is on the right side of the road as you are entering Cabo from the east. It is not hard to find, but parking can be a challenge. We were able to find a spot about three blocks away.

Upon entering the office you take a number and sit down to wait your turn. They were serving number 68 when we took our number 77. This shouldn?t be too bad.

It became apparent after about 15 minutes of waiting that they didn?t go through the customers very quickly. One number had been called, so we started to settle in. At least the room was cool and we brought something to read. We waited, and waited, and waited and after about two and a half hours our number was called. At last we were going to get this taken care of.

Jose at the counter was very helpful, and spoke English well enough that combined with my Spanish we were able to communicate pretty will. He gave me some forms to fill out and a list of things that I would have to bring back to him including passport photos (three front, three profile) and proof of residency address. About this time is when I am realizing that this isn?t going to be a one visit affair. Jose is very polite and helpful, and I am smiling and cooperative, but inside I?m thinking ?Crap, we are going to have to spend another day at this.? Of course Paula is thinking, ?What?s this WE business??

The elapsed time at the counter with Jose was about five minutes, and that included him taking a personal phone call. Why the other customers took so long I have no idea.

It felt good to be out of there as we headed back to San Jose with my ?shopping list.?
Three forms to fill out
Proof of residency
Passport with one copy of EVERY page
FM3 and copy
Passport Photos
Manila folder

After arriving back to San Jose del we asked around about a place that did passport photos and were told about Photo Mar just down the road. The photos got taken that afternoon and the girl told me it would take about ten minutes to develop them. That kind of wait I could handle after spending all morning in the immigration office.

Fifteen minutes later the girl told me the wait was now going to be two hours because the camera needed to be charged to download the photos, or something like that. At least I would be able to go back and pick up the photos later that evening.

After dinner I swung by the photo store and this time the girl told me it would be another six hours, but I could puck up the photos at 8:00 when the store opened in the morning. I am being very patient, although I am beginning to loose faith that she will ever be able to complete the photos. I want to go to Cabo first thing in the morning to be at immigration at 9:00 when they open. Maby if I?m first in line I can get out of there in a reasonable time.

Sure enough, at 8:00 when the store opens I?m out front waiting. At 8:30 when a lady finally shows up to open the store, I?ve just about had it. Once inside she tells me what I know is coming, the camera is not working. She tells me of another photo store by the 3 Hermanos shoe store (a landmark for her), and I?m off on a new search. I actually found the store without too much trouble, but it was closed.

By now I?ve decided to just go into Cabo and drive around until I can find a place that does passport photos. This was my last alternative because driving around Cabo as many of you know is not an extremely enjoyable experience. And parking is less fun.

I got lucky though and after just a little exploring I found a Fuji film store with available parking. I was in and out in five minutes with my photos. Things were looking up and I had high expectations that this ordeal (adventure) would all be over soon.

Back at immigration I took a number and settled in with a good book. Two and a half hours late my number was up and I laid my folder on Jose. He went through it all, helped me with some responses on the forms. Any minute I expected him to go STAMP STAMP STAMP and I would be outta? there.

But that was not to be. He scooped up all the papers including the FM3 and handed me back my passport. OK, he said, ?Call me at this number in one week, or two and your
FM3 will be ready to pick up.? All I could think about was having to come back and wait yet again as I walked away from the counter. I was gathering up my stuff to leave when it occurred to me that I was goig to fly up to San Diego at the end of the week and return 10 days later. I came in on my new FM3, but I didn?t have it to show Immigration at the airport.

Even though Jose was serving the next customer, I butted in and asked most innocently if it would be a problem at the airport if I was going to leave Mexico for a few days. He said that it definitely would be a problem and to have a seat.

So I waited some more. After a while Jose motioned me up to the counter and pulled out some forms. He filled them out based on my FM3 information handed them to me and told me to go to any bank and pay the 231 peso fee, then return the stamped form to him.

There was a bank across the street, so I was back in the office in about 15 minutes. I went right up to the counter and gave Jose the form. He smiled and said take a seat for five minutes or so. He took the form to somebody in the back room and came back out to serve more customers.
About 40 minutes later he called my name. Now I have a 30 day permission slip that allows me to leave Mexico while my FM3 is in process. I?ll see how it works on Sunday.

As the saga unfolds I?ll post again. I hope I haven?t bored you all too much. Tom

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
I hope I haven?t bored you all too much. Tom

Not at all. I feel your pain.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 09:24 PM
Good Stuff

But now I'm afraid. I'm thinking I'll do it in the States! Have you projections on the amount of time you'll be spending in San Jose and the times of year? Mary Ann and I were thinking 2 three-month periods in the Spring and Fall, but we really don't know. Somehow I feel it will be more than that.

Good luck to you both, and keep us posted.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 10:00 PM
been there done that

i was told by imagration that it has to be done and renewed at the place where you live im in loreto and lapaz said i had to go back to loreto to renew it and it dont count if you do it in the states

jerry and judi
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 05:43 AM

You can get the initial FM3 anywhere - US or Mex but renewals must be done where you live.

The process here in San Felipe takes more than a few minutes, but never the adventure you had, El Jefe. You didn't mention the trip to the bank to pay the fee for the FM3?

Mike, be careful selecting the timing of getting the first one. I made the mistake of getting it in Aug. and that's usually the month I don't want to be here. When I got my FM2, got it moved back to late Sept - somewhat better but the ideal would be a time when you will always be there.

If you think you might not be in country at renewal date, be sure and get it stammed "Salida" when you leave so there are no penalties when you return.

:smug:

[Edited on 6-4-2005 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 06:17 AM
FM3

here in Mulege you have to go to Santa Rosalia, but of course you have to go there for everything. It was a pleasure to deal with the Immigration there, they were helpful, polite, and spoke very good english. Yes i had bank statments, an electricty bill in my name and a copy of my fidi comiso. the only thing i had to get was our Marrage licience translated into spanish. i had my FM3 in a week. I had applied for it earlier at the Sacramento consulate and was flat denied. when applying there you have to provide a copy of your arrest record from "THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE", and i guarntee you if you have EVER had so much as a parking ticket you will be denied. The consulates in the states all have their own rules. DO it in mexico I was surprised how easy it was after dealing with Sacramento.

Want what you have
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 07:07 AM

San Diego was very easy as I said in Part I. Really, none of this has been hard. It is just more time consuming than one would immagine. You need to carry a great deal of patience, a big smile and a good book to get through the day.

Mike, we are not sure how much of the year we will be down here either. Most of the people we meet here say we will end up being here more than we think. It kind of gets in your blood. You can do the first part in the states, but you still heve to do the sign in thing where you live. BTW Mike, I just finished a book caled "Astro Turf" by MG Lord, daughter of a JPL scientist. It was a good read all about the history of rocket science at JPL and NASA. I thought about you. Tom

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 07:24 AM

it is best if you get your FM3 in the place where you are going to live in Mexico. if you get it in the US you still need to register it here and that is some time more of a problem than just getting it here to start with.so why do it 2 times.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 08:34 AM

I posted on this exact subject months ago, and do so again.

The Mexican Consolates in the USA are only doing you the tourist a favor by starting your FM-3 process.

Yeah, what a "favor".

They do not "control" your Mexican activities.

This Mexican Consolate in the USA who started your FM-3 file is also "supposed" to mail your file down to the local Immigration Office that controls the foreigners(extranjeros), where you will reside.

THIS RARELY EVER HAPPENS.

So, you do all the paperwork over again, everything, except make the first year payment.

This ""local" Mexican Immigration office, (where you reside), is where they will again build a "manilia folder file" on you to hold all your documents, photos, thumb print,etc.
You essentially give your "local" Immigration" all the same paperwork all over again, that you gave the Stateside Mexican Consolate office.

This local office IS YOUR only control office for everything involving immigration issues from now on, until you physically move to another city, town in Mexico.

The "dance" you went thru, and will do every year from now on for your annual renewals, etc, will be done ONLY at and by this local office.

What you experienced in CSL is normal due to the total 500,000 population this Los Cabos region has now become.

Anybody else getting their FM-3 Booklet process started in the USA will also have to go thru something similar to your waiting due to the fact that the Local Immigration Office "file"(dossier) will also be built on them , EXACTLY, just like you.

This "dance" cannot be eliminated, as this is Mexico's way.
So learn the dance step.

Also remember their is a Mandatory strict time schedule you must adhere to(getting booklet stamped into Mexico the 1st time, and getting into your local Immigration office for registration).

The later annual re-newals are less burdensome, but must be done within the re-newal time limits, and documents will have to be presented to them showing you still qualify for a re-newal of your FM-3.

Not complying with these schedules will cause your FM-3 to expire and become invalid.

Good luck and enjoy the dance,,,,,,saludos,,,,mc

[Edited on 6-4-2005 by mrchuck]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 08:53 AM
I have never had a problem

getting my FM3 renewed except when I let it lapse and had to start the process over. I used to do all the legwork, letters needed for work, pictures , etc. myself but now there is a lady whodoes it all for $35.00u.s.

What I find interesting is that so many of you are *******s:lol: But, the good part about being a gringo ******* down here is that you don't get deported so you have time to eventually get legal.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 09:08 AM

just remember what you go through down here is nothing compared to what a Mexican gos through in the US.:(

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 09:13 AM

Does anyone know how Mexico handles FM2/3 requirements if you have two residences in different parts of the country?

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 09:24 AM
FM3/FM2

is federal immigration. Doesn't matter where you got it, as long as you have it.

And, one of the cool things is if you have a friend with la migra and some gringo ******* pees you off, you can get them deported immediately.
I bet that statement catches some attention considering the status of the "new" arrivals!:lol:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 09:34 AM

To all those interested, it is very difficult to get someone deported you would have done something against the law to be deported. Even as such you would most likely just to have to pay a fine. I say this with many years living in Mexico.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 09:39 AM
How many years?

Because it is actually very easy to get someone deported, if they are not legal to be here. And I've seen it and lived here for blah blah blah as well.
Me thinks you old farts are just trying to look cool by argueing with everything I say. You don't!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 09:46 AM

Hose

Yes you are right I did not delve into that end of it. I know that it can be done because I know first hand someone that was deported under those circumstances.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 09:52 AM
So

what exactly was the point of your first post then Comi? You were obviously talking out yer arse. again!:O
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 09:57 AM

Hose

ONLY 2500.00 pesos.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Does anyone know how Mexico handles FM2/3 requirements if you have two residences in different parts of the country?

you need to declare one as your primary address.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Hose

ONLY 2500.00 pesos.

I can get it for you wholesale.

<Just kidding, all you pastrami loving, expat residents of Baja.>

Hose A, we're friends, right?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.