Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A sad Marty story from friend in La Paz
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 01:26 PM
A sad Marty story from friend in La Paz

Translation below for those who don't speak spanish, but first, the letter I got this morning....

HOLA STEPHANIE
COMO ESTAS NOSOTROS MOJADOS, LA VERDAD QUE NOS FUE MAS O MENOS, EL AGUA
CORRIO BASTANTE Y NO HABIA PASADA POR NINGUN LADO LOS ARROYOS ESTABAN
ESPANTOSOS HAY 12 PERSONAS DESAPARECIDAS, ENTRE ELLOS UN MECANICO DE
AROCALIFORNIA Y SU ESPOSA QUE TENIA 5 MESES DE EMBARAZO, ELLOS YA HABIAN
PASADO EL ARROYO DE LA 8 DE OCUBRE COMO SI VAS A LA UNIVERSIDAD Y SE
REGRESARON POR QUE SE LES OLVIDO ALGO Y CUANDO QUICIERON PASAR NO PUDIERON,
SE LOS LLEVO LA CORRIENTE A ELLA LA ENCONTO EL SUEGRO PERO A EL NO LO HABIAN
ENCONTRADO AYER, FUE EL RUIDO COMO LAS PELICULAS DE TERROR EN FIN YA PASO, Y
CRREMOS QUE VAN A SER MAS FUERTES CADA A?O.... TENEMOS QUE PREPARANOS MAS
POR QUE CADA DIA ES MAS DIFICIL...... EL ESTADO QUEDO MUY DESTRUIDO POR QUE
ERA EL SEGUNDO HURACAN QUE PASABA....
CUIDATE Y SALUDOS A LOS NI?OS
CAROLINA

Hi Stephanie, How are you? Us, wet. The truth is we were more or less OK. The water ran a lot and you couldn't cross anywhere. The washes were running full - scary and unpassable. 12 people disappeared, among them a mechanic from Aerocalifornia and his wife, who was 5 months pregnant. They had already passed the 8th of Ocober wash, the one on the way to the University, when they forgot something and went back. They tried to cross the wash. Her father in law found her, but they still hadn't found him yesterday. The sound of the hurricane was just like in the horror movies - but finally passed. We think it's going to worse every year, having to prepare ourselves as each day is more difficult. The state is very destroyed as this was the second hurricane to pass through......

[Edited on 9-27-2003 by Stephanie Jackter]
Anonymous
Unregistered

sad.gif posted on 9-27-2003 at 03:10 PM
Thanks for sharing that Stephanie

How awful. It's kind of amazing that 12 people went missing and you don't hear that in the news.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 05:20 PM
HELP OUT.....

The only thing we can do is go to Baja and help out as best we can........

Capt. George
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 07:53 PM

"How awful. It's kind of amazing that 12 people went missing and you don't hear that in the news. "

Yeah, I was impressed at how much we've heard about the boats and how little about the people. The view of Americans in Mexico can sometimes be a little myopic. - Stephanie
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 09:05 PM
people missing

According to official news people dead in La Paz area are 4 or 5.
All trying to cross the arroyo before the University of La Paz.
Governor Leonel expressed to President FOX the urgent need to build a bridge between the two part of town in order to avoid future tragedies.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 09:40 PM

From speaking to relatives north of La Paz, i can say that they also where it very hard and have lost many material things, but on the other hand, people are looking forward to a few years of progress, the rain was much needed and the farmers and cattle people are very happy about the rain.

Its tragic that many people died and properties where lost, but on the other hand this rains signify good crops, fat cattle, and $$$ on the pockets of our families and friends, hopefully by next year things will get back to normal, and a depressed economic area of Baja can get back on track.

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 05:42 AM
Silver Lining

Finding some good in the bad...thanks Jesse.

Baja people are a special breed. I look forward to becoming part of it....

Capt. George
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 11:45 AM
Aldo

Yes, it is about time that bridge got put in. If memory serves me, that wash is like a huge dip that has no signage or anything to let people know that it can be a dangerous torrent. And it's not like it's on a little road where one should have hesitation about driving hazards. The road to Cabo San Lucas is at leat 6 lanes wide at that wash (maybe even 7 or 8), and located right in the middle of the city. Hopefully, Fox will follow through and these will be the last of the needless deaths at that intersection.-Stephanie
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2003 at 09:45 AM
Many different facets of Marty are reported here

"Yeah, I was impressed at how much we've heard about the boats and how little about the people. The view of Americans in Mexico can sometimes be a little myopic. - Stephanie"

Yet another reason to avoid posting on this board information relative to the varient interests of the friends of Baja. Jack Swords
:(
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2003 at 12:16 PM

Boats can be replaced. People can't. Had the people who died been Americans, we all know that would have been topic of conversation #1. Sorry if the truth peeves you....pero asi es la vida. - Stephanie
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2003 at 02:14 PM
I misunderstood this board's function apparently

Sorry, I thought this board was to post information relative to ALL aspects of Baja as many interests are represented here. You don't know me, my activities in Baja, nor my contributions to the people of Baja in the past, present, and future. I don't choose to argue the point (pointless) except to say that posters who provide information about boats, cars, missions, etc. do not denigrate the importance of the wonderful people of Baja. No one denies the value of human life, but it was hoped that this forum could provide information on other subjects also. I was apparently mistaken. Jack Swords
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 10-4-2003 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
No one denies the value of human life, but it was hoped that this forum could provide information on other subjects also.

It has, does, and will continue to do so.

Hopefully your valued participation here will continue as well.

Regards,
--
Doug Means

[Edited on 10-4-2003 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.