BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Fall staight from Heaven into the bowels of Inferno
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 10:21 AM
A Fall staight from Heaven into the bowels of Inferno

A decade and a little more than small change or so ago, I was living in a house just above the sandy beach of Buena Vista. A more ideal place to enter the water for a lovely snorkeling adventure couldn?t possibly be. Yep, can?t imagine a lovelier place for one to exist by the sea. The sand there is fine and clean. Less than twenty meters off shore and to the North are lots of Giant boulders and rocks for fish to hide in and play. It is like swimming in a giant aquarium; this surly is a wonder of a swimmers heaven if there ever was one. Nope, can?t even imagine a nicer safer sweeter place to play in the water.

The early morning was one of those perfectly wonderful special bright sky blue with a few puffy clouds on the horizon, the spectacular rays of the up coming sun in the clouds reminding one of a Jesus Christ Super Star sort of moment. As it was mid Spring, the morning was warm but not hot, it was a no wind day. Yes sir, the kind of day that is sure to create super easy sales of property on the East Cape.

I run down to the sea with snorkel ready to see all the wonders there be for my pleasure this fine day. I dive in and there is just enough of a chill in the water to make for an invigorating swim; mask on snug, no leaks, water blown out of the tube, I cannot believe my good fortune as I begin my strokes headed for the big boulders to the North.

I swim with smooth clean strokes, listening to my even breathing, I am in perfect rhythm, one with the sea as I watch below me in awe all the wonderful critters there for my delight. As I swim thru the first small grouping of boulders, I see little black and yellow sergeant major fish, and those lovely little black fish and the shinny little purple guys with their fins that remind me of soft feathery fans. A scary eel sticks his head out of the rocks and sees me and ducks back in, at least as frightened of me as I ever could be of he. It is all as magical another world kind of place as could ever possibly be, the only sound to remind me of my existence as a humanbien being my own breathing.

I swim out of the rocks and into a sandy area; all is quite and oh so serene. Than I swim into the middle of a giant school of thousands of sardine. As I swim thru them I am delighted and amazed at how they surround me without ever touching my skin, they swim south, and I swim north, we mean no harm to one and other on this fine fun day. The sun breaks thru the puffy clouds and the rays shine thru the water, rays of heavenly light dancing on the fish to make them shine blue, green, silver and rose, there are diamonds of light dancing in the water at that moment. I just got to be in the better place above about now, the sea and the sky united as one. I am at perfect peace with the universe.

The sardines are left behind, and I am in a state of pure and total ecstasy in this my moment of union with the sky and sea. When suddenly I feel the sting and I know I am hit, hot dang, I have swum into a school of jelly fish; the kind with the long blue trails that wrap around my legs and arms, my neck and face. My head comes out of the water in a scream of agony. I am furious with the fates and this horrid monstrous little creature that has sent me straight from heaven to the bowels of inferno, my body burns, panic sets in, I know all too well what is in store for me for the next few hours.

I swim the few meters to shore and grab hot sand and rub it all over trying to sand off the poisoning tentacles wrapped around my body. I walk the 300 meters South back to my earthly residence. I grab limes, cut them and squeeze them all over me, than I pour on the vinegar, I even pee on myself, anything and everything I have within reach that I can think of to counter act the burning pain of the jelly fishes poison that has entered me.

I am oh so alone in my dark bedroom, curtains closed, a towel spread on my bed; I lay down to quite my panic with deep slow breathing, I enter total darkness with a wash cloth over my eyes and I reach deep into my pain. I become one with the fire prickling deep with in me. All that I am is burning down to the core of my physical and emotional being. I continue the slow calming deep down to the bottom of my being breaths. The burn and me become one and all that I am every fiber of me is fire. After a half hour or so, I gain control of my pain. I lay there in the dark reflecting on my situation and I come to terms with that poor little jelly fish.

After all, there that little jelly fish was, just a bobbing along on top of the water, the current taking him here, the current taking him back there, a more innocent creature of no mal intent I cannot imagine. Yep, there he was diddly dee, really kind of sweet when you think about his passive existence. And along I come, whack smack right dab into him. I curse him, I tear him apart from limb to limb, I destroy him, his life is ruined, his little body pulled apart by a giant monster from the land.

Yes, as I laid there I empathize with his predicament and incur compassion for his situation in meeting me and in the doing so I escape my own sense of misery. After a few hours, there will be no more pain for me. In a couple of days, the welts his poor little ol destroyed body left on me will disappear, I will go on with my life. Ah, but what about him and his fate? Did I kill him in my panic and pain? What did he ever do to deserve this meeting with me? I will never forget that poor little creature; sorry I am for the moment of our meeting and the pain I caused him. May He, Me, and the Universe understand and forgive my anger and response to our mutual meeting of discontent.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 10:49 AM

Wow Sara! You are a better person than I,for sure! I have been stung several times in Baja and not once, have I been concerned for the nasty little buggers! Lovely story, I was right there, in the water with you!! Gracias Hermana, Sally
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 10:56 AM

So true that we are all one. But, alas, death also fits into the spectrum, in my mind at least, as the termination of one life drives the food chain of many others.

Like you, I would, however, like to be the one not causing the death of any living beast.

Another great pensive story from the heart.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 11:25 AM

Once more a beautiful picture story painted by sweet Sara - thank you, thank you, thank you amiga! When I noticed your post, my heart rate picked up a bit.... and after forwarding the thread to mi esposo, I consider whether to read it now or print it out for my pre-sleep read tonight. Today I went for dessert first..... and now am determined to change my opinion about agua malas. Is it possible that I, too, can think of them as agua dulces? ;)

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by Natalie Ann]

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 11:33 AM
Sara

Bursting forth from that comfortable, small, warm and safe cocoon comes our fabulous and extraordinary teller of tales. She grabs us by our hearts and shares her bliss and then in a flash she has us all by the throat and our souls are on fire with agonizing pain.

Damn!

Sara, So glad you have taken up your writing stick again. Very few people in this world will ever be able to move so rapidly and smoothly from such extremes of feelings. Then with just the smallest number of strokes you have us feeling for all of the other beings in life.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 01:48 PM

I'm afraid that the jellyfish might not have been quite so innocent; he was probably trying to eat you, but you were too big. (Scientist seem to be split on this theory vs. defense.) By the way, what made you so fast to consider that jellyfish was a "him" rather than a "her?"

Info on jellyfish stings: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngkids/9608/jellyfish/
http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/SF_Medicine/StingingMarineL...
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 02:22 PM

Thank you all for your positive responses. Until that day, I too, never thought I would learn compassion for a jelly fish.

Right now, living in an old city, I smash splat the odd c-ckroach that crosses my path, I consider their right to life versus my nasty feeling at the very sight of this creature and all the disgusting tales that come with them. Still, surly I always apologize to them when the shoe goes down and ends their quest to hide from me. Certainly, they too have awareness and are horrified at my tuning into their ugly little hides.

Packoderm, yes, since I had my reality check as to the jelly fish being one of the universes beloved creatures, I saw a Nat. Geo. special on T.V. as to their possible ability to track. Still, the ballot is out, and the story was a fun write, so I will stick to my vision for now. As to male versus female, I tried it out, but the flow of words were better with he instead of she, so that be the only reason I used a guy jelly fish instead ofa gal.

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by Eli]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 02:35 PM

Well, what an enjoyable story with a painful ending, thanks. AS far as the guy/gal thingy goes. If you can get close enough without getting "kissed", look at the jellys' body mass. If you see what looks like small orange salmon eggs, bingo, you have found gonads. Funny, it is the largest recognizable organ. Stranger yet, no apparent brain and the other organs are virtually transparent. Some you can only feel. Pesky nematocysts!
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 03:39 PM

Those were some nice, honest reflections. I enjoyed the story - especially the turning point when the sun came out while you were in the water. There is probably no other word for it except surreal. I have once also had a nasty run-in with some of those long, stinging tentacles in that same area around Buena Vista. My wife got it too. I didn't want to hurt the poor jellyfish. I would have been happy to just observe it and let it be, so it only follows that it should have had wished to have mercy on me - it did not. But it having no brain...
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 08:48 PM

Sounds like something my late wife would have written...I watched her one day trying to catch a cricket that had gotten into our beach cottage...ever aware not to cause it pain or harm. She finally captured it safely with a paper towel, opened the slider and let it out on the porch.........to be immediately swooped down upon by a bird which enjoyed the cricket for breakfast...

We looked at each othe r and just laughed.....sara, thanks for reminding of one of many wonderful moments spent with Pat....

su amigo george
akbear
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 11:42 PM

Sara, I will always think of your story as I walk down the boat ramp to go for a swim at that rock pile.

Thanks

akbear
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 09:23 AM

Hey bear, ya sabes, keep an eye out, Packoderm and I ain't the only ones to get hit in that neighborhood, it is a common occurance. Anyway, I am sure you have learned towatch out for the jelly fish, there are times of the year when they rule that beach. Next time I'm going in, I'll be in a full head to toe licra suit. I hate getting stung.

Geroge, I am so glad to bring back some special memories for you, Pat must have been the best, glad you can still carry her so close in your heart. May that always be true.

Sharks Baja, thanks for tip, don't plan to ever get close enough to check out their gender, interesting information though.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.