Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Cerveza Questions
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 06:37 PM

Well, hello dere Ferna. Yes I was about to retract my statement about "no such word" as modela. It is indeed the 3rd person singular of the verb modelar. Braulio's google suggestion brought up some VERY interesting sites...:O

*There was one called "Modela la Modelo", meaning "The model models"

As for the tele, Don Francisco is always saying "Que venga la modelo" on Sabado Interminable".

[Edited on 6-7-2005 by Oso]

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 07:00 PM

So, now it's OK to go to the classy liquor store and ask for Leon Negra?

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 07:09 PM

Dave - you and Bajalera are like folks that drive real slow on the freeway - never had an acident - but cause thousands.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
Dave - you and Bajalera are like folks that drive real slow on the freeway - never had an acident - but cause thousands.

Maybe I should change my handle. How about Mr Magoo?

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
]

That's pretty funny-- it ain't in MY LaRousse at all (as an adjective): Gran diccionario de la Lengua Espanola, Larousse, Barcelona 2001, 1851 pages. I THOUGHT it to be pretty complete.

So, even Larousse can't make up its mind.

Is yours by chance published in Mexico? Maybe mine is following the Academia stodges...

--Larry

Yep, mine (unabridged 1547 pages) was printed in Chilangolandia. (BTW, there is a Chilango Beer, although I've never tried it.) It doesn't say when, but I got it in 2000. I picked it precisely because it claimed "generous coverage of Latin American Spanish". I do not own a DRAE and have only mild curiosity about strictly Iberian usage, mostly just for etymological research. I have never wanted to sound like a gachupin. Unfortunately, some of my chuntaro friends here on the border think I sound a bit like a chilango:no:

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 08:01 PM
Gato fight or is it gata?

Whatever,

I just love that you guys are arguing about feminine gender issues.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 08:20 PM
Ferna is no muchacha!

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
in the amigos or freds I used ferna de tijuana and everyone thought ferna was a girl, when it's short for fernando.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 08:32 PM
forgive me

but i'm to hammered to understand how this thread turned from beer talk to.....well,actually i dont know what the hell it turned into but it sure is funny:lol:
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 10:06 PM
Lencho

I think it's M?-puchi not mepuchi, but you can also use puchi-m?. M? is typical BCS mostly La Paz, also used with m?-veras or just M? and puchi is more pronunced like push? used instead of puta, like in puchi no or hijuepuchi. Or just go for it all and say me-verajelijuepuchi pariente.:tumble:
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 06:17 AM

...but ferna...you must be mistaken...I can't find that in my LaRousse.

Thanks for showing up man - you are the master here.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 06:35 AM

...and Oso...go (again) to google.com.mx...click on p?ginas en espa?ol - search modela with an article - "una modela" or "la modela"...and then tell me that modela isn't used in the context I described - amongst others.

No - you ain't going to find it in LaRousse - but you'll hear it in conversation all the time.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 06:37 AM
eetdrt88

Hey guy, I agree with you.

I think they are in a contest to see who's book is bigger and badder.

Salute! Otra Mas!

Any bets on the winner?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
...and Oso...go (again) to google.com.mx...click on p?ginas en espa?ol - search modela with an article - "una modela" or "la modela"...and then tell me that modela isn't used in the context I described - amongst others.

No - you ain't going to find it in LaRousse - but you'll hear it in conversation all the time.

I did exactly that and the first couple of pages of either search came up with modela as a verb or the brandname of a product on an English site, except for one page on the "neoliberal model" regarding poverty in Peru.

But hey, if you just gotta use it as a noun, do what you like. A mi me vale ma'. If you can read the label on the bottle, we've established that the name of the beer is NEGRA MODELO, which is what got us on this track in the first place. Someday maybe I'll find a picture of the old-style Leon Negro from Yucatan. Meanwhile if Dave wants to look for it in a classy licor, he'll have to ask for plain Leon.

If you're by SLRC anytime soon, come by for a michelada. I've still got some MODELO ESPECIAL in the fridge. :barf:

Well, it was the only thing on sale last week, but if you add enough Clamato it almost kills the taste.

BTW, I rarely use just google. Dogpile is much better, it pulls from google, yahoo and others at the same time.

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 03:59 PM

You guys have me shell-shocked. I tuned in expecting to read about Mexican beer and ended up wearing out my spanish dictionary.

I could have sworn that this was the "General Baja Discussion" forum, not the "Spanish as a second language" forum. Did I go astray somewhere?

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoadI could have sworn that this was the "General Baja Discussion" forum, not the "Spanish as a second language" forum. Did I go astray somewhere?

To give this some perspective, more folks in Baja speak Spanish than drink beer. Mmmm, wonder if that's really true...? ;>

--Larry

Perhaps, But I'm sure that more people on this forum drink beer than speak Spanish.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 05:37 PM

I'm drinking a Dos Equis, right now! (or) Tomando una Dos Equis, horita!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 06:58 PM

Ahora se trata de lo esencial.

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2005 at 07:01 PM

This entire thread has always been about the beer if one was paying attention. Of course that may have been increasingly difficult if one were consuming more of the latter while trying to follow the former.:lol:

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2005 at 07:11 PM
Another for the list

Found a new beer in TJ today.

Potro- a porter, full bodied and slightly sweet. Made in Guanajuato. Excellent!

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2005 at 09:15 PM

Dave, which store in TJ had the porter? Is the price ok? I'd plan a trip just for the porter. I just love Sierra Nevada's porter. I also like their stout.

About Leon Negra, the last time I tried it about 2 years ago, it seemed lighter than I remembered. Maybe it'll be more widely available under Modelo.

I especially like Belekin stout, however, my sister made a trip to placencia this year and said the place is pretty much gone as far as how cool it used to be. Sometimes I feel lucky to make it to a place before it goes, but it also makes me a bit sad. Onward and upward I guess.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.