Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gibson swept side exhaust
pokey
Nomad

Mood: sun burned

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 07:16 PM
Gibson swept side exhaust

I'd like to get a little more horse power out of my '99 3.0 6cyl Ford Ranger. From searches on the internet I've found that a high performance exhaust is the easiest way to do this. Or is it? Anybody have any tips or suggestions on how I could modify the truck to get a little more power.

Anybody have experience with Gibson products? Are they easy or difficult to install. Happy with the end result?

Thanks;D
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 07:36 PM

In most cases, a good exhaust system is the most bang for the buck on a stock motor. Don't know about the one you are looking at or Gibson, but sure would be interested in what you find out. I have a Bronco II with the 6 (a little older) but more HP is always good.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bajaddict
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 07:40 PM

I put a Gibson Cat Back exhaust on my 1999 Tacoma, along with a K & N intake. Very happy with both products and now my Taco is not quite so doggy. Gained about 30 miles per tank, and need any help that I could get in that dept.!

Can't help with the install as I paid a wrench to put both products on. My schedule and sorry state of tools did not allow for my truck to be down.

The Gibson "Cat Back" is a little mislabled - you need to retain about 16" of the smaller, stock pipe and clamp the larger Gibson pipe to the hack-sawed stub.
pokey
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 07:47 PM

I looked at the K & N intakes and found that the extra HP is delivered at high RPM. Gibson claims that I'll get 15-20 extra HP at low rpm's. They both cost about the same so I'm leaning towards the Gibson. Of course, if I had the money I'd get both. :tumble:

I do plan on getting a K & N air filter next time I'm due for air filter replacement.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 07:56 PM

Pokey

I just posted about auto forums, you should try one for your vehicle.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bajaddict
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 08:58 PM

I paid a few bucks for a stock K & N replacement filter - got sick of shelling out 18 bucks for a paper throw-away every time.

Then, of course, my stock intake box cracked. Toyota wanted $600 for the required, entire assembly so I bought the K & N intake for, I don't know, $250 or so. I paid my mechanic to install it and still came out ahead.

My rig breathed a little better, but it still felt like it had a cork up it's arse upon acceleration.

My wonderful wife bought me the Gibson for my last birthday - arse unplugged! I think she's a keeper......

Do you have a birthday coming up?

[Edited on 6-10-2005 by Bajaddict]
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 10:51 PM

Better exhaust without better intake doesnt make much of a diffrence. You cant breathe out deeper without taking a bigger breathe. I would get the intake/exhuast then look at a tuner. But wait...

Did you put bigger tires on that ranger? I bet you did. You need a gear change to put you back to stock{or close to it}.

pokey
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2005 at 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan

I just posted about auto forums, you should try one for your vehicle.

Thanks, I spent a couple of hours last night researching the 3.0 vulcan motor on these forums. Learned a ton!

Looks like the Gibson swept side is a very popular performance upgrade for the Ford Ranger.
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 6-10-2005 at 09:07 AM

Frank said it right, you can't expect much from exhaust mods unless you change the intake. The K&N filters are ok for stock set ups. They just save you some cash on filters. Go with the K&N intake system and the Gibson cat back, Better yet, get the Gibson header also. More power and fuel savings.....

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
sunshine
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2005 at 11:54 AM

I used a 98 Ranger with 3.0 as my baja rig for a couple of years and the performance could definatley use help. You will be hard pressed to find many performance upgrades for the engine. It was widley used in the Tauras and Aerostar vans so look into those models for engine upgrades. The exhaust and intake will provide more upper end Rpm horsepower which is where that engine really needs help, so you should find and increase in performance with those parts. Once you add those parts do try to reprogram the computer, I never had luck finding the programmer, but that was a few years ago.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-10-2005 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pokey
I'd like to get a little more horse power out of my '99 3.0 6cyl Ford Ranger. From searches on the internet I've found that a high performance exhaust is the easiest way to do this. Or is it? Anybody have any tips or suggestions on how I could modify the truck to get a little more power.

Anybody have experience with Gibson products? Are they easy or difficult to install. Happy with the end result?

Thanks;D

Pokey Rangers rule. I hate rice haulers.

check out this Ranger site and forum you can get the answers to any questions.
http://www.rangerpowersports.com/

[Edited on 6-11-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.