Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nomad Board
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 07:27 AM
Nomad Board

Fortunate Strangers

Many moons ago I read a book titled Fortunate Strangers. It was the factual recounting of a group therapy class conducted by a psychoanalyst. The group was small, the classes stretched over a two year period and, as you might imagine, the results varied with the subjects. I found the work fascinating. Now, umpteen years later I find myself witness to another larger and more fascinating class: Baja Nomads.
Doug Means has provided the classroom and the rules. He is the silent one, the doctor sitting quietly, making mental notes, keeping the thing flowing, the fist fights from disrupting the sessions.
The classes are not once a week, once a month for an hour or two ? they are always in session; uninterrupted, intense, stimulating.
Not every member is an active participant. Some are merely auditing the class, lurking and learning; others hog the limelight, eager to vent and bicker on subjects as disparate as cruelty to animals and portable generator output.
Unlike the few subjects in the book, because of their greater numbers, Nomads learn not that they share so many common things but that they are so very different, one from the other.
For me, that?s the key. I need to be reminded that my views, my core values are unique ? that I must allow that modern Americans, Mexicans might find my conservatism wrongheaded, stifling, arrogant. I need to be reminded about the quote of Will Rogers ? ?We?re all ignorant. It?s just about different things?.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 07:43 AM

Good thoughts Osprey Viva La Differences

:yes:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajaruby
Banned

smile.gif posted on 6-12-2005 at 07:50 AM

Osprey,
That is about the smartest thing I have read here yet. I will keep your words in my mind, reminding me each and everytime I read these threads. Thanks you so very much for your wisdom.
Bajaruby
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 09:29 AM

And some more Will Rogers/Baja Bernie wisdom for those caught up in the heat of the thread:

"Never miss a good chance to shut up." :cool:
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 09:43 AM

Maybe that's why God gave us one mouth and two ears........

I hear the whales song
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 10:31 AM

Osprey, An excellent observation. Of course, Will Rogers was my hero too. Can't imagine a wiser man than he was.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 10:57 AM
Osprey

Your observations are now taped to my monitor to allow me to review it on a routine basis.

The most wonderful thing, to me, about Baja is that strangers do become friends and that most of the time differences just do not seem to make a difference.

Thank you!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 12:11 PM

SOoooooo you think we all need a shrink, huh? I feel better already, fellow patients . But please don't stuff your horse.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 03:22 PM
yea...

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie

The most wonderful thing, to me, about Baja is that strangers do become friends and that most of the time differences just do not seem to make a difference.

Thank you!
that kind of sums it up....
OFFCOURSE2

Mood: LOVIN LIFE

[*] posted on 6-13-2005 at 03:07 PM

The key word is fortunate.::)

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-13-2005 at 06:44 PM

As all of you know Im new to the board. Ive noticed that there is a lot of writing talent {Osprey you get the award this week} and baja history on this board. Please dont let your story die unwritten, when you go on to the next "level". The books Ive read so far have been great, its still early enough that I can see the history as I drive through, say La Salina. Thanks for welcoming me to the group.

bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 6-13-2005 at 07:17 PM

A sex crazed fish releaser. I think maybe Osprey can help you. I think Will was cool too, but I'm more of a Mark Twain guy.

"When I was 16, I had the dumbest parents in the world. I was amazed how much they learned by the time I reached 21"

One of my favorite quotes......

Its no fun having a battle of wits with unarmed people
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 6-13-2005 at 07:21 PM

My favorite W.R. quote"

"If there were no fools in the legislature, it would not be a representative body."

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 6-13-2005 at 09:34 PM

Another quote I like. Don't remember who said it. Could have been WR. I paraphrase.

" It is better to appear stupid, than to open ones mouth and confirm it "

Man am I quilty of that one.........

Its no fun having a battle of wits with unarmed people

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.