Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hwy 1 Transpenninsular buried cables, services
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 12:21 PM
Hwy 1 Transpenninsular buried cables, services

It is hard not to miss the swath that threads it's way along Baja Hwy1 from one end to the other. I have seen in various locations the pipes or rather, extruded plastic tubing that is buried along it's long course. It also appears to be fairly recently competed in some stretches, particularly between Mulege and Loreto where I have seen crews working in various places.. Can anyone tell me what these pipes are carrying and if they are/can to be accessed and used by developments along the route. It would seem to be of huge benefit to the disparate communities on the remote highway. I would have thought though, that pull-boxes and access vaults would have been utilized in stratigic locations but I don't see that. Can someone shed light on this subject?
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 02:11 PM

This project was started several years ago in Cabo San Lucas. The tubes contain fiber optic cables that have replaced (are replacing) the microwave links that were (are) being used in BCS. I don't have any more details except that the towers I see are in a state of disrepair indicating to me that the cables are in use. In the states, cutting through fiberoptic cable have put many construction comanies out of business due to the extremely high cost of repair.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 02:48 PM
fiber optic cables

It will certainly improve and otherwise give Baja a boost in telecommunications. I understand that the costs are exceedingly high compared to conventional stick&wire. The upside being the north/south connection. I assume the bigger towns will tie-in. Downside is: Does that mean places like Catavina will have to rely on sat.?
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 03:19 PM

This is why we have broadband internet in Mulege.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 10:09 PM

Quote:

One story I heard is that they were going to keep them running as a backup to the fiber

Last trip down I saw the cable running along side the hwy exposed in some places. I hope they are thinking of a back up plan. It wouldnt take much to bring the system down.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 10:54 PM
cable techs

How many techs can do that kind of work in Baja. Not too many I would guess. Parts & Equipment scarce and repairs are very complicated. The down time could be conciderable.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.