Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bruce's Basic Pie Crust
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-15-2005 at 12:04 PM
Bruce's Basic Pie Crust

Bruce's Basic Pie Crust

it is important in Baja Ca. to work with all ingredients cold keep them in the fridge until you use them and if things start to worm up put them in the freezer for a little while and start again.

This recipe makes a vary light flakey crust and dose not git soggy easaly I have used it for years .

1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Crisco brand shortening (see Bruce's Note below)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons ice water

Mix flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut shortening into the flour with a pastry cutter, until mixture resembles the texture of tiny split peas. Do not use your hands to try and mix it, the heat from you hands will melt the shortening, causing the pastry to be "heavy", not light and flaky.
Once mixture is the right texture, add the ice water and combine with a fork. It may appear as if it needs more water, it does not. Quickly gather the dough into a ball and flatten into a 4-inch-wide disk. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie crust. Double recipe for a two-crusted pie.

To Roll-Out Dough:

Remove dough disk from refrigerator. If stiff and very cold, let stand until dough is cool but malleable.
Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough disk on a lightly floured surface from the center out in each direction, forming a 12-inch circle. To transfer dough, carefully roll it around the rolling pin, lift and unroll dough, centering it in an ungreased 9-inch regular or deep-dish pie plate. (Or you can fold dough in quarters, then place dough point in center of pie pan and unfold dough, whatever is easiest for you.)

Directions For Final Preparation

For One Baked Pie Shell (also called Baking Blind):
Place rolled-out pastry in pie plate, gently press against bottom and sides of pan. Trim overhanging edge of pastry about 1-inch from the pie plate's edge. Tuck this rim of dough underneath itself so that folded edge is flush with pan edge. Flute the edge. Prick crust thoroughly on the bottom and sides with the tines of a fork to help prevent the dough from blistering and "puffing up" as it bakes. Or, you can line the unbaked pastry shell with foil or parchment paper, fill with dried beans or rice, clean pebbles (a French practice) or specialty pie weights made of metal or ceramic. The weights and foil or parchment paper should be removed a few minutes before the baking time is over to allow the crust to brown evenly. Bake at 425*F (220*C) for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool before filling. Proceed with recipe's directions.

For Unbaked One-Crust Pie Shell:
Place rolled-out pastry in pie plate, gently press against bottom and sides of pan. Trim overhanging edge of pastry about 1-inch from the pie plate's edge. Tuck this rim of dough underneath itself so that folded edge is flush with pan edge. Flute the edge. (Do not prick the crust before filling or it will seep under the crust during baking.) Refrigerate while preparing filling. Pour filling in chilled pie shell and proceed with recipe directions for baking.

For Unbaked Two-Crusted Pie:
Double recipe above. Place rolled-out pastry in pie plate and gently press dough into sides of pan, leaving portion that overhangs edge of pie plate in place. Refrigerate while preparing filling. Turn in the desired filling. Moisten the edge of the pastry with water, then carefully place top crust over filling. Trim top and bottom edges to 1-inch beyond pan edge. Tuck this rim of dough underneath itself so that folded edge is flush with pan edge. Flute edging or press with fork tines to seal. Vent the top crust by pricking with the tines of a fork or making slits with a sharp knife in several places. (This allows steam to escape during baking.) Proceed with recipe directions for baking.

For a Lattice-Top: Prepare pastry for a two-crust pie, leaving 1-inch overhang on bottom crust. After rolling circle for top crust, cut into strips about 1/2-inch wide. (Use a pastry wheel for decorative strips.)
Place 5 to 7 strips (depending on size of pie) across filling in pie plate. Weave a cross-strip through center by first folding back every other strip going the other way. Continue weaving until lattice is complete, folding back alternate strips each time cross-strip is added. (Or, to save time, do not weave strips. Simply lay second half of strips across first strips.) Trim ends of strips. (Strips can be twisted as they are placed on pie, if desired.)

Fold trimmed edge of lower crust over ends of strips, building up a high edge. Seal and flute. Proceed with recipe directions.

For a Diamond Top:
Lay or weave second half of pastry strips diagonally across first strips on filling.
For a Spiral Top:

Begin from center of pie. Twist one strip and coil it outward on pie, adding length by moistening ends of other strips and pinching together. Moisten trimmed edge of bottom crust; place tightly twisted pastry strip around edge, pressing to seal.

How to Flute the Edge:
Cutout Edge: Trim overhang even or flatten pastry on rim. use tiny cookie cutter, thimble or hand-cut tiny leaves, hearts, circles, etc., from pastry scraps. Moisten rim and place cutouts around rim, overlapping if desired. Press into place.

Fork Edge: Flatten pastry evenly on rim of pie plate. Press firmly around with tines of a fork. To prevent sticking, dip fork in flour.

Pinch Edge: Place index finger on inside of pastry rim and knuckles (or thumb and index finger) on outside. Reverse the position if it is more comfortable. Pinch pastry into V-shape along entire edge. Pinch again to sharpen.

Rope Edge: Place side of thumb on pastry rim at an angle. Pinch pastry by pressing the knuckle of your index finger down into pastry toward thumb.

Additional Pastry Tips for Success

A pastry blender is a great help to cut in shortening evenly. If you don't own one, purchase one! It's the "cutting in" of the shortening into tiny lumps that gives pastry its flaky texture.

If your hands are unusually warm, then "cool" them off with a couple of ice cubes and then drying thoroughly before handling the dough. The cooler the dough during preparation, the flakier the crust.

Anchor a pastry cloth around a board with tape and use a cloth cover for your rolling pin to keep the dough from sticking. Rub flour into both; this will prevent sticking, yet the flour won't be absorbed by the dough.

Due to the amount of fat in pastry and crusts, pie plates or pans are not usually greased.

Nonstick pie pans can cause pastry to shrink excessively when baking one-crust pie shells. Be sure pastry is securely hooked over the edge of a nonstick pan.

Do not stretch the dough to fit the pie pan, it will shrink from the edge if you do. Make sure to roll it out at least 1-inch larger than the pie pan.

Do not overwork the dough, less handling makes a more tender and flaky crust.

For pumpkin and custard pies, brush beaten egg over unbaked pastry shell before filling. This helps prevent the crust from becoming soggy.

A pair of kitchen scissors makes the best tool to evenly trim the overhanging edge of the pastry before folding under and fluting.

Brushing the top crust with slightly beaten egg white will give it a glazed look.

Brushing the top with milk will give a shiny appearance.
Sprinkling the top crust with granulated or turbinado (raw) sugar will give a delightful sparkling appearance.

Cutting designs such as apples and leaves out of excess dough and "gluing" them onto the unbaked pastry by moistening the underside of the cut-out, makes another lovely decoration for your "masterpiece".

Bruce's Tip: Use of the premium brand vegetable shortening, Crisco (a white vegetable fat that also comes in "butter flavor"), is preferred over other brands which have been tested with inferior results. Lard (pork fat) can be used with good results,

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 6-15-2005 at 12:22 PM
I am impressed!

Bruce, your directions are about as complete as they come, better than my grandma's. I'm a piecrust novice, so that's what I need! Thanks for all the tips. Zoe
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2005 at 12:39 PM
so am I......

Quote:
Originally posted by zforbes
I am impressed

especially with Bruces' spelling. Is that really you?:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 6-15-2005 by Sharksbaja]
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2005 at 01:15 PM
Pie crust

Good recipe there Bruce.

I found a simular one on google but think that yours is better! :lol:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2005 at 03:57 PM

Cyndarouh had thease very good suguestions. she sent me this.

Here in Julian we use half butter and half crisco for the comm. pies. For at home I add a Tlbs spoon of vinegar and two of water. Makes a really flakey crust. A bit hard to handle in comm. baking. The butter also adds a bit more flakey to the dough. .

Im going to try it Cyndarouh thanks Bruce

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2005 at 06:08 PM

The Deli sells lots of pies. We have used Crisco & butter combinations but find that lard makes a much flakier crust and the dough is much easier to work with.

Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2005 at 06:54 PM

Dave, Your right, I was tried ,we use lard in the Bakery. I use Crisco at home. Somedays you can't win. Adding the vinegar does make a great dough. Just hard to handle for comm. use. Thanks for the correction.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2005 at 07:57 PM

I use the Lard when I want the very best. I know it is not good for me but neither is bacon and I cant give that up aether. I guess that is why I am so fat.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2005 at 10:57 AM

Fat but sorta cute, Bruce! And thanks for the pie-dough recipe.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 11-19-2006 at 11:39 PM

where's the rest of your cookbook???? what a fantastic receipe and I am hoping for the first time in my life to make a decent pie crust. I pride myself on being an excellant cook, but for some reason my pie crusts always come out horrible. I am going to try this one out for Thanksgiving in hopes I can at last offer a wonderful pie to go with the rest of my delicious dinner. You may have provided me what I need to finally perfect that part of the meal. Thank you so much for all the work you went through to give such informative information in creating a one declicious pie.....O Happy DAY!!!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 05:01 AM

ok - who has a good pizza dough recipe?......new york style, of course.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 08:30 AM

we sold pizza for years Mick I will get you that pizza dough recipe. it is very easy especially if you have a kitchen aid or Hobart mixer.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 08:49 AM

The easiest and tasty pie crust comes from the Pillsbury Dough Boy -- already made up and ready to go, just add your filling :D
BajaHawk
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 10:40 AM

My grandmother makes GREAT pies. Several years ago all the grandkids got together and had her teach us her craft - there sure is a skill to it!

This is all very consistant with ol-South Dakota pie baking. We use the vinegar and COLD water.

Regarding lard...some will tell you it is better for you than "Crisco". Just don't eat the whiole pie:spingrin:

[Edited on 11-20-2006 by BajaHawk]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 10:46 AM

does the COSTCO in Ensenada have the apple pies???? may have to try one of their flans
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 11:12 AM

here you go Mike

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=20935

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 02:33 PM

The choco-flan from Costco is DEELISHUS! I think they do have the apple pies; definitely pumpkin this time of year.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
The choco-flan from Costco is DEELISHUS! I think they do have the apple pies; definitely pumpkin this time of year.

I do like there Pies and they are so big an cheep. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 10:58 PM

I am in heaven now that I have a pizza dough to work with......as it fell into the same catagory as my lousy pie crusts.....I have been trying so many different receiptes and they all disapppoint me. I will have to try this one ASAP as there is nothing better to add for variety to diet in these parts. You really are some kind of great cook.....Muchas Gracias....oh....and of course it will work will for Calzone I would emagine......as the ones I have gotten in Loreto make me rather ill. What a pleasant gift to be able to create my own and even better then ever......:spingrin:
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 11:11 PM

I'm surprised nobody made a crack about what to do when some of the ingredients "worm up." Like the cold of the freezer will eliminate them or just kill them? I guess that's a better method than mixing any kind of poison into the mix.

Sorry Bruce, I just couldn't resist.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.