BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: where is the vegatarian section?
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 6-17-2005 at 12:05 AM
where is the vegatarian section?

Hey can you direct me to vegi recipes: this fish and meat stuff is not my style::no: Tip: when making tacos sprinkle pamesan cheese on both sides of torts after they have been fried and fill them with your favorite fillings, great!:rolleyes:

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2005 at 02:55 AM

www.vegesource.com
Bajame
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2005 at 01:31 PM

Thanks Deb!:D

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2005 at 02:27 PM

"where is the vegatarian section?"

Next to the fruits & nuts.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2005 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajame
Hey can you direct me to vegi recipes: this fish and meat stuff is not my style::no: Tip: when making tacos sprinkle pamesan cheese on both sides of torts after they have been fried and fill them with your favorite fillings, great!:rolleyes:

WQhat a conundrum. That's kinda like being a vegit in Nebraska! Do you have you a dislike for ALL seafood.
Actually, Baja type food can be made in a meatless/seafoodless fashion but I am afraid you'll miss out on what makes it sooooo good. Also, as you know, (true)vegetarians work very hard to achieve a balanced nutritious diet. A difficult task when creating meals with complete proteins.
Be healthy, don't fry.:spingrin:

Methinks you should give US vegetarian influenced Mexican food.:lol:

Dave, that was cruel.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2005 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Dave, that was cruel.

When people tell me they're vegetarian I always ask, why?

The degree of cruelty is dependent on their answer.:biggrin:

Oh, and we don't carry any low-fat products at the deli, either. Whole milk, real cream, pure butter, etc. If they want a no fat latte, egg whites, or even decaf coffee we tell 'em to jog down the street to the other deli.

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2005 at 09:30 PM

Love that "real" Milk (hate that 2% icky stuff!).....Thanks Dave! (GIVE ME THAT FAT, AND LARD IN MY TORTILLIAS!)

I'm not a "vegan" The lady asked a question and I gave her a site to look at. I found it (and once was an active member) at their home school site....I'll leave the rest alone as to why I'm not any longer.....

Each to their own..... :rolleyes:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-20-2005 at 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Dave, that was cruel.

Oh, and we don't carry any low-fat products at the deli, either. Whole milk, real cream, pure butter, etc. If they want a no fat latte, egg whites, or even decaf coffee we tell 'em to jog down the street to the other deli.

I cant Wait to eat in your Deli. I hate when people destroy a good recipe by trying to make it low Fat.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2005 at 12:43 PM
butter & xtra virgin olive oil

The only two fats I use in the restaurant. Ok, buttermilk & half/half also. Screw the rest, who needs em. LARD? Only good if you are making a pie or if you are Mexican:lol:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2005 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
LARD? Only good if you are making a pie or if you are Mexican:lol:

Lard is lower in saturated fat than butter.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2005 at 06:16 PM

Overheard at a deli in Mexico:

Customer: Why don't you have stuff for vegetarians?

Owner: Because cud chewers don't carry cash......next.

Bajame
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2005 at 06:29 PM

Well now, I have to admit theres many foods I have missed in the last 15 years and find myself dreamin about those lobsters you all talk about and yes it's a triffle hard to find foods that I can eat in some towns. Some times I give into eating eggs for beakfast with home fries spiced with diced chile and cilantro and onions. Do eat cheese, milk, and some other dairy foods but have to be carefull how they jel it. Mostly have to make my own food. Wow this is making me hungry! Off to the kitchen! Thanks all! Would be down for the fest but have something important to tend to that week-end. Another time!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2005 at 07:34 PM

Damn, fish aren't biting today.;D

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-20-2005 at 07:52 PM
Dave, bad dog!

Down boy and don't bark at the newbies! :biggrin: :biggrin:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2005 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
LARD? Only good if you are making a pie or if you are Mexican:lol:

:lol:
Bajame
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2005 at 09:55 PM

Belive me, I have enough lard and I never leave it behind :wow: or it is behind :?: well anyway you can always tell if one eats to much meat: They have a short temper among other things. They like to pick on people an have to have things their way, they fart alot and have bad dreams, and they drink alot of beer and smell like an unclean old bar! :no: That only happens to men though as women can do these things and never daken their pure spirit. :saint: So roll that up and smoke it you Baja weenies! :P
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 12:30 AM
FARTS?

You bet. But we LIKE TO FART, it's a manly thing. Seriously speaking, you probably have some valid points there but I won't venture. I eat meat once or twice a week. About the same amount of days I beat up my family because they say I smell like a cow. Hmmmm, maybe there is a connection.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 10:32 AM

Quote:

Yep, it's true. According to Mexican chef Rick Bayless, lard has less then half the cholesterol and about 1/3 the saturated fat than butter. When buying pork lard, he suggests you look for fresh-rendered lard from a Mexican or other ethnic butcher, rather than the hydrogenated pale blond bricks they sell in most groceries.

He gives a recipe for making it yourself, which I will post under recipes..... whoops! I am in the recipes section, so here goes:

Makes 1-3/4 cups
2 lbs pork fat (scraps trimmed off roasts and chops are good here, but don't use salt pork or fatty backon - those flavors are very strong)

Cut the pork fat into 1" cubes. Spread it out in a deep baking dish and set it in an oven at 275 degrees.
Stir it every once in a while as the ft renders into a clear liquid.
When the baking dish contains only clear liquid and browned bits, after about 2 hours, carefully remove the dish from the oven. (Letting the cracklings, as the browned bits are called, color richly which give the lard a fuller, roastier flavor.)

Let the lard cool to lukewarm, then strain. (The little browned bits are wonderful sprinkled over a salad.) Store the lard in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator - or freezer, if you're not going to use it all in a month.
.............Rick Bayless, "Mexico, One Plate at a Time"

[Edited on 6-21-2005 by Natalie Ann]

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-21-2005 at 11:42 AM
They're biting Dave

Just in slow motion. Must be the lard!:lol::lol::lol:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 12:54 PM
This lady is a vegatarian

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.