BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Fish & Flowers
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 07:24 PM
Fish & Flowers

Flowers & Fish

O.k., so I must truly admit that in spite of the fact that some of the finest folks I know do it, I mean dear friends that I respect from the bottom of my heart and would never want to offend; still, I can not grasp their joy of torturing and than releasing a fish.

With that in mind, I must consider when I came home the other day with a dozen fresh roses wrapped in newspaper. As I passed the gallery where my Maestro works, I stopped in to say hi. His comment being, ?Ah, bringing home another batch of cadavers to rot in sadness in your room?? He shook his head and continued; ?I cannot grasp the pleasure you receive watching flowers slowly die day by day on your burro top.?

I chuckle because we have had this conversation before; my reasoning being; the flowers have already been cut; some poor little Indian lady will eat with dignity that day anyway, because of my 15 peso contribution. Besides, I love fresh cut flowers, their colors give life to my room, and yes, sigh, I must admit, they brighten my day as they die away. Also, maybe in the case of roses anyway, the cutting of the flower is a form of pruning the bush. At least, that is what I hope as I justify my weakness for fresh cut flowers.

In fin, I must say, I am really no different than the sports fisherman. I take pleasure from the pain of another living creatures pain, a sacrifice has been made for my pure egotistical pleasing of my senses. As I can justify someone making a living, the petals will someday be recycled into the earth or paper or something. So it is with the Marlin, my ex-son-in-law supports a wife and two kids taking Gringos out to fish. And how many other fishermen do I know that support their families in this mode, the guys that fix the boats, the dispatcher, the hotel workers, gardeners, maids, cooks, taxi drivers, beer and ice sellers, etc., etc. There is a huge industry supported by this barbaric act. Also, let?s say the Marlin doesn?t make it; aren?t there all kinds of bottom feeders down there, trigger fish and crabs and just all kinds of little guys that are going to feast feliz on his cadaver, as I surly hope some day they will on mine? In fin, again I am reminded, I am not in any position to critique my fellow man.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 09:17 PM
Sara

Did you realize that your dad read one of my short stories about ducks and sent a challenge back to me to really write something from the stand point of an animal. He liked my first cut on the Marlins but he still told me to use this vehicle to hone my writing skills and to try harder to get into their heads and hearts. I still try and have a bunch of stuff that no other person will ever read. It is a fun exercise. I guess I will have to work on a story from a cut flowers point of view.

I really believe that your maestro was just trying to be a shock jock. Ask him if he realizes that each time he mixes his paints that he is directly killing living things and transforming them into things that he finds satisfying and ego fulfilling.
How his product must scream out when it is placed into the kiln. I'm sure that you can see where this could easily go so I will not follow that course.

My wife raises orchids and we have found that the flowers quite often live longer if they are cut and placed in water.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 09:31 PM
In my heart,

I think that it makes a difference when we celebrate the life that intersects our own.

When you take cut flowers home and put them in water and honor their beauty, you give their life a meaning outside of their life on the plant.

When the fishermen use their skill to catch fish, and then release them, I think that they bond with the moment. They see something in that that they don't see anywhere else in their lives.

Sara, I might also, be full of s***, but this is my take on the subject.

Regards, GJ

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 11:10 PM
not a fair analogy

flowers are supposed to scatter their seeds through means like a stiff wind, hail, animals etc. etc. Maybe an urchin would be closer to a flower.

Guess what happened when divers smashed tens of thousands of sea urchins in an area of preservation.

A billfish' life and death struggle is nothing like a cut flower in a vase.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 11:52 PM

Dear Eli,

The catching of fish, too is a way of "pruning the bush." Imagine the worlds oceans teaming with fish. Big, small, old and young, all part of the "Bush." Consider the caught fish less capable of surviving than the others. The smarter, faster, stronger fish. The "bush" is better and will survive longer with the only the best fish in the herd.

The survival of the fittest animal has been the law of the land eons beyond the emergence of man. Culling of the herds, by predators and natural causes will continue till the skies darken and our world spins off into the universe. One replenishing the other for the good of all.

I have always enjoyed your perspective and views and hope to do so till I spin off into the universe.

As always,

Bedman
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2005 at 09:08 AM

I enjoy all your prespectives in regard to this. It gives me something to chew on as I paint away the day.

Yes, Bernie, thanks for a little tidbit to throw back at El Maestro, a little debate with Armando in regard to the valdity of all life that we step on and affect in our every action could be fun. We enjoy and learn from our discussions.

Honestly Sharksbaja, how can we judge who's life is more valid, be it a microbe, a flower, a fish, a tiger or a human. I am sure I am not in the position to compare.

Meanwhile, I am off to the market for my juice, hope I find some beautiful roses today, that would be nice.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan

When you take cut flowers home and put them in water and honor their beauty, you give their life a meaning outside of their life on the plant.

A coworker and I debate this all the time. I prefer hybrid tea roses because they make good cut flowers for inside the house. He prefers floribundas because they look good on the plant. He could care less about brightening up his house.

To each their own.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 01:10 PM
"When the fishermen use their skill to catch fish,"

There is very little "skill" involved when you charter a boat out of eastcape or los cabos. That's why they spend all that money to do it. I could probably even catch one!:lol:
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 05:46 PM
Eli...

Everything on Earth is involved in your cycle. Some of it?s sweet, and some of it?s sad. And as many on your thread have stated in one way or another, nothing goes to waste.
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 06:50 PM

I know Mike, in the end, I expect there is a purpose for all even though sometimes I have a real hard time swallowing it, you know stuff like war, and world hunger, argh......... doesn't make a whole lot of sence, but it's been there everysince humankind, I expect, won't go away just for me wishing it would.

Undoubtly, we can never make all the people happy all the time, I did go buy my roses the other morning. I bought from a little ol lady that sits across from another little ol lady, they both sell roses. I make my decision by which of them has the most beautiful freshest roses that day. One is always happy with her sale, the other looks on me in disappointment, like she has been betrayed, can't be helped, I can only buy so many roses at a time. Still, there is a saddness there, like I said, can't be helped.
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 04:09 PM

All good points Whistler, like I said the list of why to, and why not to can go on forever.

Me personally, I just plain don't like to fish, just like lots of folks don't like to paint, but I do. Still, got to admit, I sure do love to eat fish, yum, yum, that I do miss.

Although today I ate those flying ants that come out after the rains, they were cooked in a sauce on chicken, found it quite good actually. I would say that that was broadening my hortizons enough for one day. And that really, really takes us off the original intent of the thread, ah well.......
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 04:12 PM
Great idea Sally

"Sport Anting" I think it will be a while before that species becomes endangered!
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 04:16 PM

Well J.R., I got to give it to you, you did find a way to get my ant eating back on the original subject line. No, I don't think we are going to get them on the endangered species list. Good tasty protien though.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-25-2005 at 04:19 PM
Carol says

Yuck!:lol:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 05:28 PM
Sara/JR

A hundred years ago I was charged with having lunch once a month with the Mexican Immigration guys at the Tijuana border. We would go to a different Mexican Restaurant every month to sample the different cuisine?s of Mexico. I kept hearing them refer to a guy who was very short and stocky as the ?Ant Man?.----You guessed it he was from Oaxaca. They would all kid him about eating barbecued ants.
One day he brought a mess of them and showed us how they were cooked and how healthy they were to eat---these were not flying guys?they were huge?almost a big as the lobsters that they serve the tourists in Puerto Nuevo these days.
Anyway your posts made me dredge up this old story from long ago. They were not bad---but I would rather gather my protein elsewhere. Thanks for the memory?s

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

eureka.gif posted on 6-26-2005 at 05:55 AM
Sara - pls email me

is your construction co. still available? we are looking at a multi lot parcel close to los barriles and we'll need a local contractor as well as architect.

thx! i would love to be doing Biz with Jimmy's family of course!

info @ comanchebuilders dot com;)

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

Honestly Sharksbaja, how can we judge who's life is more valid, be it a microbe, a flower, a fish, a tiger or a human. I am sure I am not in the position to compare.

are there really any people out there that would not pick human from your choices above. and if so why.:?:

Eli this is a subject that really interests me from both sides because it seems to me that it involves allot of choices. and it boils down to where you draw the line. every human must Kill to stay alive but most of us will not kill some species to survive.

where do we draw the line?

I think I would kill anything short of a human to feed my hungry children. and I would even kill a human if it were threatening the lives of my children. I don't no for sure. I hope I never get tested on these terrible things

I hope we can git lots of feedback on this

[Edited on 6-26-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 01:30 PM
thx Sara!

got your note! - this will be an exciting thang!!
can't wait!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 01:47 PM
What I meant to say....

instead of...

"A billfish' life and death struggle is nothing like a cut flower in a vase"

it should have read "A billfishes stuggle with life and death"

as in regard to all animals including us.

Thanks Whistler, that tourney and it's people ARE people with a conscience and there IS much care given in the sport these days. It is nice the sport attractes the mega-buck.
I still wanna see those dissolving hooks ya got down there!:lol:

Bruce, with mans evolving state of survival it seems a moot subject to really discuss the decision to take a life be it a plant or an animal. We (spoiled Americans) for instance have the biggest breadbasket on the planet. Aside from people who really have to kill to survive, us gringos, theoretically, do not need to hunt or gather. Because that's what you do/can do at Safeway. Problem is, the mass-produced food items are becoming less and less healthy while pretending to be the other way around. I'd rather eat a nasturtium than half the crap the stores sell nowdays
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 05:00 PM

Bruce, There are many different perspectives within myself from which I could address your question, truly your comment provokes enough ideas to write a short book on the subject:

From a member of the cosmo's perspective, I believe that we are all one, every microb, every fish, human, rock, piece of sand, chicken, star, you name it, it is me and I am it, I am one with the universe. I have no right to judge value of life, and I am grateful that I don't, that is not a job I would want.

From a plain ol humanbein perspective; I have an ego, I have delt with anger and loose. Yes, I have known a few folks that I would trade their life for that of my dog, easily. Again, I am glad I am not in the seat that decides.

I have lived a basically protected life. I have never been to war, I have never had to kill anyone or watch a friend be killed. I cannot judge people who have done so. I do see the nightmares they live with, I feel complete compassion for them, I am so glad I never had to go there.

I love to eat beef, if I had to kill the cow in order to do it, would I? I doubt it, if there was an alternative food available, I really don't want the red meat bad enough to go thru the pain of eye on eye contact with the cow as she goes down. On the other hand, I have fished, and I have killed chickens, but I would really rather not. I salute the butchers, the fishermen, the kind soul who grows and harvests my beans and corn, the fruit picker. The harvesters, the people who put my food on the table, they deal with taking life so I may consume it. I truly thank them for this gift of making my life so easy.

There have been times in my life where if I had the power, yes, I would trade a life, even including that of my own for another. I thank the powers that be that is not my role to judge and decide who will be sick and die, who will get blown up tomorrow, I do not need to defend my grand children from you or any one in Baja. Yes, I am ever go greatful for all the years of peace I have known living in Baja, it has been a wonderful gentle life for the most part. I am so glad, I don't have to deal with these decisions, and hope I never ever will.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.