Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Found this from a while back at Baja.Net
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 02:49 PM
Found this from a while back at Baja.Net

And since the peninsula is getting "whiter" daily, here's some points to ponder.

I just thought I would try and mention some differences between here and there. In spite of the close proximity to the border and all things U.S., Rosarito has many similarities to the rest of Baja.

1. The ma?ana syndrome. Almost everything will take longer than originally estimated. Mechanics, Auto Body, Wood Carving and custom made anything will generally take at least twice as long as estimated. Calling for gas to be delivered falls into this category as well so you want to call in advance of actually needing it. Adapting to a completely different time schedule is mandatory to living here. As far as schedules go, you may as well leave them at the border.

2. Falling into a bad scene. Many of the Ex Pats. down here get bored right away. It is easy to do with such a laid back lifestyle and atmosphere down here. So, they end up going to the many restaurants and bars that are down here and fall into the rut of meeting at a different one every night to get drunk with the new amigos. And this generally turns into the meetings starting earlier and earlier until no more boredom, just falling down drunkenness, every day. Common affliction unfortunately.

3. Utilities. Always interesting. Not quite up to par electricity, phone and water is pretty much a constant battle. The rates fluctuate so often that no one seems to know what is going on or why. And the phones go out, the electricty goes out and the water gets turned off without warning. Basically standard procedure that you get used to. Just part of living here. Many Americans have fits because of these things but, if it's any consolation, it happens to the Mexican people as well. The up side to this is the bills are substantially lower here.

4. Shopping. We have full size grocery stores here but they do not carry the products we are used to. They have pretty much the same stuff but no name brands and not nearly as varied a selection. The fruit and vegetables here are not as pretty as in the U.S. but, the they are generally fresher and sweeter.
Most markets have bakeries in the store. These are a must do. Just the aromas alone are worth bringing a lawn chair and hanging out. This, combined with free tequila tasting and other goodies make a trip to the store quite interesting. Up side, when was the last time you went to a market and spent $20.00 on four bags of groceries? Not to uncommon here.

5. Driving. Yikes! You must have Mexican Insurance to drive in Mexico. Learning to drive in Mexico is not as an extensive a course as in the U.S. and it shows regularly. Mexican women putting on their makeup on the way to work, talking on cell phones, rude taxi and bus drivers, drunk people leaving the many bars, and just plain bad drivers are basically the norm here. Combine these things with potholes, bad roads, invisible stop signs, signals that sometimes work, and roadwork all make driving an adventure here. Buy insurance! And pay attention. If there is a chance of someone turning left in front of you from a right hand lane, they probably will.
Police are sometimes a little overzealous here. Like making up some stop sign, speed limit or other infraction that you probably did not commit. There are 2 ways to deal with this. Either pay what he wants, usually $20.00 or demand to follow him to the police station. This is the legal way to handle infractions and any other request for payment on the spot is illegal in Mexico. Chances are that the officer will immediately
get another call and you will be on your merry way. But, don't forget to pay attention because of your victory in getting off without paying.

That's it for starters, as I think of other differences or ideas about living here I will post them. Hopefully others will too. Hasta Luego Amigos
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 03:47 PM
I just got back from Costa Rica.....

.......and it was shocking how much better the infrastructure was in that country. Even the most remote, jungle challenged areas have electricity, right down to the simplest one-room shack.

Of course, water is alot less of a problem with the usual abundance of it.

Roads are generally worse, though. Tough to keep up with potholes with all that rain.

Did I mention the women yet? They are friendly and absolutely stunning.

Central America is quickly surpassing much of Mexico in desireability for retiring, P-nche gringos like me.:lol:
neilmac
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 03:52 PM

Sounds like we're all stinkin, blind, stupid, fallin down borrachos....

"until no more boredom, just falling down drunkenness, every day. Common affliction"

An' I haven't even moved down yet!

Maybe Baja is where your heart is. I think mine was eaten by a whale.

Neil
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
That's it for starters, as I think of other differences or ideas about living here I will post them. Hopefully others will too. Hasta Luego Amigos

This can't be you JR. You've already filled a book or two with differences:coolup::cool:
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 05:35 PM

JR, who was the original poster?

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 05:43 PM
Me

I would never copy anyone elses nonsense!:lol:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 06:34 PM
JR

You can add the absence of street signs--and speaking of that--how many darn times are they going to change the entrance to your place.

Watch out you are getting entirely to constructive. Hose A will be piling on when he see your post.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 07:09 PM

I tell you, if that wasn't an add for a travel agency I don't know what is. After reading that, I can't wait to get down there. Bars, boredom and drunkiness. Does it get any better?
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Hook, I travel all over Central America and I would never live there----NEVER----

Honduras--Your kidding...

Panama---I was there last week and believe me when I say if you are walking downtown Panama City sooner or later you will be jacked. In December of last year I was chased by three guys with Machetes. Looks like a great place to live.

El Salvador---Ya right-Every time I go there there is a power outage and the eletricity does not come back on quickly plus the telephone service sucks.

Guatamala---This country is what Mexico was 50 years ago.

And my favorite when people ask me about Costa Rica---Sure the woman are beautiful, the scenery is beautiful and you can actualy own the land on the beach. The govt. here is just as corupt as anywhere in Latin America and I think more so. The people are really not that nice and put up with Americans because they spend more money here than anywhere else in Central America. Ive heard of more land scams here than in Mexico. I would never live here again-- I lived here for 3 years, sooo Hook come on down and spend your money...All of it!:lol:
Central America is quickly surpassing much of Mexico in desireability for retiring, P-nche gringos like me.:lol:

[Edited on 24-6-2005 by lizard lips]

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 07:35 PM

I guess I f%$#&d that up!:bounce:

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 09:27 PM

Oh ya, I forgot Nicaragua:lol:

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-23-2005 at 10:22 PM
Lizard lips, I agree with you

I am constantly bombarded on my email about low cost paradise real estate buys in Central America.

People, do the research and read the histories of the governments of these places.

All the Central American countries are governed by very powerful political families that can reposess your beach side (or wherever) retirement dream home in the blink of an eye.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 07:14 PM
Gyspy

Thanks to our Supreme Court the United States can do the same thing here--just think!-- we are finally catching up to Baja and those folks to the south in our distruction of property rights.
Everyone is safe who lives in a hovel along the road in Baja (kept it in the bounds of posting)
Doggies, I wish I had not made that promise to the Irishman or I could really let go with some wonderful blue words that would shake this board like an earthquake in San Fransisco.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 09:35 PM
Bernie

just pretend you are a politician. We want to hear what you have to say! Cmon Yankee, cut him loose.:light:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.