Author: Subject: Forum societal and cultural ramifications
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 02:53 PM
ol' Vik

Quote:
Originally posted by Cincodemayo
Yankee...
That's a hat for up here in my corner of the PNW...Poulsbo's main focus is Vikingfest during May! The main theme is do like the Vikings...rape and pillage for 3 full days:o:o:mad::mad::moon::moon:

what happened to "plunder" ?:lol:

yes, the thread is dead... dumdedum...

[Edited on 6-27-2005 by Sharksbaja]
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 03:06 PM

What about Poulsbo Bakery?
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 03:26 PM

I kind envision this forum like a cyber camp fire, all kinds of views get passed around, be it about baking, or trails, fishing, the weathe, how things used to be, how they are goin, views of life. Anyway, works good for me, even when it goes kind of lala., ect.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 05:22 PM
Sharksbaja

The point I was trying to make is that if you accept Movinguys definition of a Nomad as "moving from place to place" then all of the people who live in or own homes or even trailers in Baja cannot be labeled Nomads because they have fixed abodes and they do not always wander about.

I am rather sure that Movinguy did intend to banish all of those people who fell outside his definition--I was just pointing what could happen if you took what he said, I think in anger, at face value that sterile environment could be the result.

Movinguy.

I appreciate the fact that you bought my second book--you should try my first and I'm sure that you will/have found that my heart resides, as I am sure yours does, with the Mexican people and with all of the gringos who share this love. I do not have to agree with these gringos, JR is one by my definition, all of the time and I don't about many things BUT this is no reason for us to start taking sides and in the process destroying the best board I have found for all people who have a love for this crazy placed called Baja by many and Paradise by a few.

I am not offended when I am named a gringo because almost all of my Mexican friend use that convenient handle to describe most non-Mexicans

When anyone gets on a rant I just try to ignore them. Sometimes I fail in my mission but I do try.

AND I am so glad I missed the skiff on both tries because I am no fisherman and I get sick everytime I get on a boat of any kind.

Yankee

Thanks for the offer of the armor but I am not fighting with anyone and in fact I was explicit in saying I was not taking sides.

Hey! If anyone walts to see a really good movie the wife and relaxed my brain and watched "Mad Hot Ballroom" this afternoon--Very Good.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 05:31 PM

Bernie, I like your second book best!:yes::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Me No
Yankee, were you wearing that when you peeed of Antonio at Alfonsinas. That would explain alot.:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I can?t get a good table at a restaurant either!

Bernie....I was just joshing ya...you still want the hat anyhow? :lol:

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Bajaddict
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
I have been noticing that some of the newbies now want to get involved and do the name calling, accusations and even threaten physical violence if they don't agree with what is being said.
These are more than likely the same kind that I discuss on here and try and educate all as to how they are really looked at.
Got anybody in particular in mind?

When I was coming up I learned that insults and words have consequences... and that punk comments could result in quick injury.

Obviously you didn't grow up in my neighborhood, or you would save your yellow words for a face to face.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 06:07 PM
David K

I wonder why?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaddict
Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
I have been noticing that some of the newbies now want to get involved and do the name calling, accusations and even threaten physical violence if they don't agree with what is being said.
These are more than likely the same kind that I discuss on here and try and educate all as to how they are really looked at.
Got anybody in particular in mind?

".....When I was coming up I learned that insults and words have consequences... and that punk comments could result in quick injury.

Obviously you didn't grow up in my neighborhood, or you would save your yellow words for a face to face.

".........even threaten physical violence" Have I missed something here? I have never seen threats here of this nature.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 06:34 PM
I believe that addict was referring to

his threats of knocking teeth out, etc. to Pascuale and me on the spearfishing thread but they have been deleted.
But, in spite of sr.addicts "self esteem", it was directed more at some who are having the same bs nonsense on another board and anyone who takes this stuff so seriously.
Fircrissakes, is there any better medium to convey ones thoughts, ideas, observations about Baja than on a board called Baja Nomads? But, it seems barely worth it at times and this is coming from me.
I see a serious comprehension problem here or, the things I talk about experiencing down here are being practiced by the guilty.
I hope this isn't the case and there really aren't that many who get offended by what I say as it probably doesn't apply to them.:light:
But, when some want to deny freedom of thought, and speech, seems to ring a bell somewhere from the past! And, it is very unBajalike.
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 06:43 PM

Hey Baja Addict. What else you Jones'n for.:lol::lol::lol:
Bajaddict
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 06:48 PM

Actually, Pasquale made a comment that he had a case of empty bottle at the ready for me.... I just asked you, in no uncertain terms, to make the same comments to my face that you so freely wrote. Where is the problem?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 07:02 PM

Can we get someone to sell tickets if there is a brawl ?
Maybe a bambooza-benefit for the locals ?

Or maybe a drinking contest would be more appropriate ?
Or Baja snow skiing maybe ?

Have a cool one and chill, addict. :lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 07:03 PM
Threats of violence,

over words, by one of DK's wonderful, caring Nomads.:lol:
Bajaddict
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Me No
Hey Baja Addict. What else you Jones'n for.:lol::lol::lol:
A beer, a Beach, and a 'But would be my fix. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to feed that monkey until my next "P-nche gringo vacation" .... Labor Day.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 07:16 PM
retaliation may cease

People may use e-mail, postings to newsgroups and bulletin boards, chat rooms, web pages, or any combination of these to send threats to others. The Internet thus makes it easier for individuals or organizations to threaten individuals with whom they have personal, political, or other differences. Such threats are not only harmful to their victims, but are harmful to freedom of speech in cyberspace, as individuals fearing retaliation may cease to express their opinions or even enter the forum at all. What jerks there are!

Bajaddict
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeeirishman
People may use e-mail, postings to newsgroups and bulletin boards, chat rooms, web pages, or any combination of these to send threats to others. The Internet thus makes it easier for individuals or organizations to threaten individuals with whom they have personal, political, or other differences. Such threats are not only harmful to their victims, but are harmful to freedom of speech in cyberspace, as individuals fearing retaliation may cease to express their opinions or even enter the forum at all. What jerks there are!
You may un-bunch your panties YIM, you will read no further discourse on this subject from me.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaddict
Quote:
Originally posted by yankeeirishman
You may un-bunch your panties YIM, you will read no further discourse on this subject from me.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Thanks tough guy.

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Some think that by engaging others philosophically that it does not warrant the time to read it or believe it. Especially when the dialog is in cyber-space. A deep subject indeed. AS a stimulace for debate on current subjects we enable each other to espouse their/our wisdom. And then we play.
Does the dialog cross cultural borders and barriers? Are we unwittingly adding pious and prejudice or is it the other way around.
We can ask ourselves and others questions not easily approached or answered in everyday verbal America here on the forum.
Does this shorten the societal and cultural distances.
Do you feel more or less welcome in Mexico because of all we say.
Do you feel more or less inclusive.
Does this forum enlighten your attitude about Baja.
Are you more or less comfortable with authority figures in Mexico now that you've heard so much.
Can you or do you envision the people and their society any different now as an informed Nomad.

If you answered any of these, any way, than it has affected your attitude. Thanks to a common thread we all share, companionship, we do postulate and we do react.

The best part being every response is unique and has the posters personality behind it.

Have they changed your mind?

I just logged on so Ill start with this.....

First of all, sharks knows alot of big words. It took me a while of reading that thing over and over to see what he is saying.

This board has changed my way of thinking/being in baja. I used to think I was one of only a few idiots who would spend time waiting for the next trip to baja. It wasnt untill I got this computer that I even knew what a talk forum was.

I feel now less a part of the tourist crowd because as a result of this board (I think) I have had people asking questions about my business (in a bad way) and none of them where mexican. They where all people from the U.S. who wanted to know if I was trying to get away with something.

As far as if this board has changed how I look at the area now, it has. I have changed things on how I operate in baja because of this board. Even if it was something like someone getting a flat tire or a fishing report with a certain lure I have taken more info off of this board than I will ever give. I personaly like the different opinions of the board. I dont really care if people attack me or call me names. On this board none of that realy matters because I am only trying to get info, and share my experiences to other baja addicts that are just waiting to get their hands on a trip report with pics just to take a little stress away from their life.

As far as the authorities in baja, I was always kinda not sure about them untill through my business I met the mayors and local police officals and other business men with some pull. Now after knowing them I realize that they are not out to get people, but if you are gonna come down to baja just to be an ass then they will be waiting.

And if there where no JR to put the pinc#e gringos in check who would do it? I like that this board is about reality and not just one persons opinion of what baja is or is about.

One thing I know is that there are alot of people on this board who are smarter than me, so I might as well try an learn something.

My biggest problem with this board now? No one insults me any more and I have no use for all of my momma jokes.....

GTB
http://www.spearfishingvideos.com
http://www.gonetobaja.com
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 11:09 PM
thank you, thank you, thank you GTB

for legitimizing the entire Nomad Forum. You have just single-handedly expressed in so many words the message was trying to extract with this thread.. You see, as many do not take any heed or value about the ramifications gleened here. You do, and so does a core of others who have faith in the fact that most other posters give truthful accounts. So my friend, a tip of the sombrero to you. I am hopeful more and more visitors and inhabitants find value in our/your opinions like you have.

Bernie, I get what your saying but his focus was narrow and he overlooked an important part of the equation:

forum:

Etymology: Latin; akin to Latin foris outside, fores door
1 a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business b : a public meeting place for open discussion c : a medium (as a newspaper) of open discussion or expression of ideas
2 : a judicial body or assembly
3 a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion b : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.