BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: So much Baja Plenty of time!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 10:55 AM
So much Baja Plenty of time!

About 3 years ago, Carol and I spent a month traveling as many roads into the back country of Baja looking for places with water (for bamboo) and no gringo realtors. We succeeded.
We hit almost every road in Baja Sur including the Naranjos when it was still open. We also spent about 9 days exploring the Agua Verde area because there weren't any tourists then:bounce:
After that month, I went back and explored areas in detail while meeting and teaching our new friends about growing and using bamboo. Also a success.
While doing this, I realized a need for items in the back country which began the donation program. I continue to distribute what many of you donate on a regular basis and have made many friends throughout the peninsula. Even some gringos!:lol:
Because of living here in a couple places and not seeing it through the eyes of a tourist, I have realized how small the peninsula really is. This I guess is becuse I haven't stayed in just one area.
And I also guess this is why I get so upset at the actions of many tourists who do spend their time in just one area while getting the rest of their not so accurate info. out of books.
It is a very small peninsula that can easily be seen in a month. And then, you can decide which areas are to your liking for return trips:light:
But, it is changing rapidly so I suggest you hurry if you have any interest in anything besides gringo enclaves and seeing the true heart of Baja.:light:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 11:04 AM

this is good advice but I think a month is not going to be enough time to see Baja Ca. Sur alone.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 11:17 AM
Just don't doddle!

"It is a very small peninsula that can easily be seen in a month. And then, you can decide which areas are to your liking for return trips"

Although, because of the scenery and hospitality encountered, it is very easy to doddle!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 12:00 PM

Ok Bruce
Is it time for deer tacos, or what?

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 12:06 PM
I know where to get

tacos de venado Judy. But, it's kind of a trek and their ain't no stores.:biggrin:
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 07:24 PM

Deer taco's, save some for me. I agree with your approach Jr. My problem is my wife Noel doesn't like to hurry, so it takes me more time to explore. But then, Im going to have the time.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 07:58 PM

"Just don't doddle"???? JR....that is what is most fun...DODDLING! Well, I call it meandering...:o

But then, perhaps you and I have more time to do that than others since neither one of us has to do the 9 to 5 job that some others might?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 09:13 PM
The difference being,

living here and having a goal rather than a 1 or 2 week vacation and pretending to be a Baja "guru".
For those who pretend to know the peninsula for fame, financial gain, or writing books, calenders, journals, I highly suggest getting to know the peninsula rather than just the speed trips to make some money.
And as far as doddling Debra, you have no idea! In fact, I guess you could say that I have spent the last 10 years "doddling" down here as well as accomplishing my goals in all parts of Baja.
Bamboo and education to assist the locals in not having to be maids and gardeners for the tourists who can afford to buy up their land.:light:
That oughtta go over like a lead balloon on this board!:lol:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 09:22 PM

I have been here for 16 years and there are still a lot of places I haven't been. but I do a lot of doodling:bounce:

I have had a lot of deer tacos and I like them allot it is one thing they like to have back on the ranches.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 10:26 PM

Doddle rhymes with toddle which sounds like todder.

Might the word you seek be dawdle??

Baja Arriba!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 11:24 PM

JR said:

"The difference being,

living here and having a goal rather than a 1 or 2 week vacation and pretending to be a Baja "guru".
For those who pretend to know the peninsula for fame, financial gain, or writing books, calenders, journals, I highly suggest getting to know the peninsula rather than just the speed trips to make some money."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JR, are you trying hard to be a jerk, ... or does it just come naturally?

Because Yankeeirishman decided to call me Baja guru, as I seem to be the one who answers his questions or impresses him, doesn't mean I am pretending to be a guru of all Baja knowledge. You have got to get over this jealousy you keep showing...

If anyone wants to know how to live in a trailer near Rosarito Beach and rent out another to gringos, for profit... I will send them to YOU, don't worry!

I have a FEW places I love in Baja I can give advice and details on... and I know them better than any resident of Baja who posts here. Since you are not willing (or able) to share all the cool places you know, so other Nomads can enjoy them... you probably won't earn the title of guru! Sorry!

See JR, it's all about what you give (without expecting reward)... You get your jollies from bragging how wonderful you are for providing welfair to the mountain people. Then you think you are so noble because you live there... in a Rosarito Beach suburb trailer park...

Well sir, it's about how many people can learn to love Baja for its natural, historic, and cultural wonders that will be the biggest bennifit to the peninsula... Not about how ONE ex-gringo can act like a super- Santa Claus and shame the rest of us... all while he is asking us to give (more)...

Lot's of people have been to Baja... a few have shared their experiences by writing books... and some now share online. None of us claim to know more... we just are the ones who take the time or enjoy sharing... That is me... I have NEVER said I know more... I just like to share my experiences of the past almost 40 years.

How about showing us your photos of exploring Baja in the 1960's, with your parents?

Here I am in 1966, south of El Rosario, on our way to the tip... What part of Baja were you, that year, JR?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 11:46 PM
Because I like sharing... another vintage photo:

We made it... by Jeep, all the way from Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas. My dad hired a panga to takes us out from San Lucas, and that is my first dorado... in 1966, at 8 1/2 years old.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 11:48 PM

I'm sure that must have been a wooden panga with a smaller motor than on the ones today. How did it do?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 11:55 PM
Because I like sharing... another vintage photo:

Here is my dad and I at the NEW ferry landing... Soon to be on our way to Mazatlan from La Paz...

We took 2 weeks to drive to the tip through Baja (more dirt than paved or graded), then. Using the mainland's paved roads allowed us to get back sooner and spend the most time in Baja... we all loved the place!

Pavement ended before COLONET and didn't begin again until well south of VILLA CONSTITUCION, and ended again 10 miles south of LA PAZ... in the summer of 1966.

Where did the pavement end the first time you went to La Paz, JR?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2005 at 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
I'm sure that must have been a wooden panga with a smaller motor than on the ones today. How did it do?

Here's my dad helping the fisherman move the panga...
Packo, I don't recall any problems... just that the ocean was 'big' once we got past the arch of the cape...

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 12:04 AM

Just tell me where the secret surf spots are at......
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 12:05 AM

Here is El Arco (the arch) of Cabo San Lucas as we motored by to catch some dolphinfish (what we used to call 'dorado' or 'mahi mahi'... until that dolphin part of the name made people think of Flipper... and nobody was going to eat Flipper!).

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 12:46 AM

So, what you are saying is JR is Rosarito Trailer Trash?:lol: Is that where contractors go to retire or regrouper? I thought he was in Los Barriles growing bamboo to help save the world. Is that not real? I saw some photos on a different forum showing his homestead progress(bamboo sink & all) Also saw fabulous trip photos of bones and shrimp harvests to name a few. Not to mention lots of documentary to go with it. Maybe JR is on this site for other reasons.
Oh my how he cuts at that "Achilles Heal" of yours . Do you think we envision you when JR espouses his diatribe? I don't, but then I have only been witness to your ongoing feud for a year. Don't pay heed David, you only exacerbate the situation. There are really only a handful of viewers that know about the ongoing saga betwixt you two. Will a time ever come when you guys can bury the hatchet? It was very entertaining there for awhile but it will be entering the "very boring and tired post response" department soon. I hope.
Your travel contributions go unmatched David. If that is your bag, go for it! Same with JR. You both look silly slinging caca, only JR gets the clever and crafty award.

Good lord what am I saying ??????????????

[Edited on 6-25-2005 by Sharksbaja]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 01:18 AM

Look at the title of this thread... and the guru talk, as if I called myself that.... all personal attacks. I am only defending myself here from an unjust war of words. Yes, I thought we were friends... But, this is rediculous... nothing but hate... I come here to share with friends and make friends.

You will not find a post where I started any personal hate... always in defence from another's nasty remark against me or my friends (he labled chicken coupers, or something dumb like that)...

My apologies... maybe if they (Me No, Roberto, JR) mind their own business or actually contribute something valuable to the readers of this forum... there would be no more ca-ca here.:light:

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 06:37 AM

Sharks
I have a pretty gory picture of these guys burying the hatchet. Dont you?
I also have been exploring this peninsula for a number of years. The past 3 intensively. And I agree with Bruce there are still so many places I have yet to see. As I have said before, I am happy here because I can still jump in the camper and find a place on the beach or in the mountains without any neighbors. And also as I have said....Nomads-get out there and do it. It is not long for this world and it is such a treasure.
Except for our foray up to Rosarito for the Pyramid book signing we have not even touched the northern state. Hope to spend alot of time on the Pacific coast this summer(cooler!) and will report anything interesting that we find.
Baja Siempre

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.