Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto fish report
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2003 at 05:07 PM
Loreto fish report

Hola amigos,

Got back from Loreto Satuday evening, and with the exception of two days of non fishing due to the hurricane, the fishing and weather were great.

We fished with Baja Big Fish Co. as always, Pam and Francisco couldnt have been better hosts, friends and fishing guides.

We mainly fished in the San Bruno area with a nice mixed bag of yellows, dorado and some very nice cabrilla in the 20 pound range.

This was the first test for my Shimano bait runner, matched up with an ugly stick tiger rod. I spooled with 400 yards of 50# tuff line, no top cap, just 6 feet of florocarbon leader.

I couldnt have been more impressed, the reel was flawless, smooth drag, terrific control for the bait runner feature and strong enough to yank those big cabrilla out of the rocks.
A #20 plus bonita, (my biggest so far) was an excellent test of both rod and reel, it out fought the yellows by a bunch, with nary a glitch in the reel or rod.

Im not sure if I would want to try it with lunker yellows, or dorado much over #30 pounds, but it did everything I could have asked and more.

Thanks again to Pam and Cuervo for the great time, the two weeks went much to fast, and we are counting the days (366) til we make our move to Loreto.

Hope to see some of you then.

Dan/Oregon/Loreto
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2003 at 06:10 PM
TIGER RODS

Dan, thanks for fish report. Used to be on the Pro and Field staff of Shakespeare, did the sportsmens shows etc. Best mass produced rods on the market for the money......We'll be fishing together somewhere down the road!

George
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 10:31 AM
Only one shore year away!

...and you'll be here all the time. Looking forward to it. It was great seeing you here and fishing with ya. Thanks also for intruducing me to the Shimano Baitrunner, I'll be getting some for myself. We're pleased as punch with the TLD 25's too! Looking forward to seeing you down here FOR GOOD!
AcuDoc
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 10-1-2003 at 03:43 PM

All my reels are shimano and most of my rods. They have the best customer service that you can find. I had a insert come out of a rod that is close to 15 years old. I sent it in and they stated they don't make that rod anymore. So they send me a new rod at cost ($50) that retails for close to $150. They also replaced an entire drag set up on my speedmaster for no charge. That reel was also close to a dozen years old. This isn't the first time they have done things like this before for me and I've heard the same from others.
I have a 20 year old baitrunner 350 that is still working great! I spool it with 17# or 20# silver thread and have could more fish then I can remember on it.
Go Shimano!
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 04:34 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Acudoc, best reels on the market "for the money" Ugly Sticks. . .

Captain George
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 10:41 AM
Shimano products

After many years of dissapointment with Penn reels I have decided to make the switch to Shimano. so far I've been pleased with the change. Now we'll put them to the test of using them as rentals. In the past, folks who rented gear were complete novices, now that is changing with airline restrictions. We need the gear that will stand up to the abuse and power of the fish. Looking forward to being a gear tester and nice to hear the comments.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 11:17 AM
Ugly Sticks

AcuDoc, best reel "Ugly Sticks" Duh, I was only with Shakespeare for five years??

They also have a great return policy with Ugly Sticks....

Hope to see you in Baja....Heard from Jim lately???????

Capt. George

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.