Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Critters of Baja
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-25-2005 at 04:06 PM
Critters of Baja

There is a thread about the annoying noises heard in Loreto. Chickens, Roosters, Dogs, etc..
Most all communities in Baja have this strange phenomenon going on because, they use "free range"food. So all these critters are running around causing commotion but, getting fatter heh heh heh!
In the mountains, you can include cows and goats to this orchestral herd and they even come with a bell section. One of the coolest things I encounter is what I call "The sounds of the towns" and each one has it's own melody.
The ringing of cows and goats walking around and the crowing and barking of smaller critters has somewhat of a natural tone to it and I have grown to love it. Especially when combined with the usual singing going on by the other inhabitants of these villages.
San Bartolo is no different and in fact, the critters there seem more "vocal" than most places I have seen. Unfortunately, Big (one of my dogs) seems to like this music as well and He has discovered that he likes conducting. This is done by cruising by all the dogs who are locked behind fences at night just to make them "play".
They all seem to pay attention to him as I can tell when he is "conducting". He doesn't make noise himself as with any good conducter, he just makes sure everyone else is playing. And when the dogs start, the roosters start, and the cows get nervous and ring around, and nobody gets any sleep. Until I get up and find him.
I now have the neighbors assistance in putting a curfew
on this unique band. We now have a percussion section, the rocks being thrown at Mr. Conducter to chase him back home at night!
I still haven't ruled out the furniture idea either!
OLDFEZZYWIG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 04:33 PM

I guess it is true after a while dogs start to mimic their owners !
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 04:47 PM

You'r right JR. Everywhere in Baja you find a symphony of different noises from many different furry creatures with their own voice. I lived on the beach at Villarinos in Punta Banda for two years and was woke up by the same dog that I made the mistake of feeding some scrambled eggs to early one morning. For the next 2 years he would be at my front door scratching until I invited him in for a little breakfast accompanied by the Doors or Jethro Tull. The camp dogs would also provide security at night when an intruder came close. I knew all their names and when it came time for the 5 mile run in the morning to Baja Beach and Tennis club for coffee they would be at my side (for the first 1/10 of a mile) then they would return to there security position and patrol the grounds probably thinking "why is this P Gringo running for this early in the morning"?

The chickens, birds, and the smell of chorizo coming from the Mexican family's home next door was intoxicating and is etched in my memory forever and I truly miss it. I live in Ensenada now and can still hear some of it but more sirens now than before and car doors slamming.

I know what you are talking about and wish that when this time in my life was happening I would have appreciated it more..........

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 04:48 PM
Barnyard Chorus

I agree, JR, there is nothing like the sound of cow bells in the night and, if you have ever watched them saunter down the road, the sound of the bell makes you see this dance in your dreams.
We used to have stampedes when the horses at the nearby stable got out but the stable has closed its stalls. I would wake up thinking that I was in some old Western with Gene Autrey and Hopalong Cassidy.
I will truly miss these night time visitations when the new marina is a done deal and critters will be penned and silenced.
I guess that will be the time to leave to find another critter friendly environment.
We are all god's creatures.

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 05:00 PM
JR

Really enjoyed this thread and wish you would expand on it without your dog being the maestro. You have a great story starting so finish it.

When you write like this you are the JR I have come to know--slightly!

"There is a thread about the annoying noises heard in Loreto. Chickens, Roosters, Dogs, etc..
Most all communities in Baja have this strange phenomenon going on because, they use "free range"food. So all these critters are running around causing commotion but, getting fatter heh heh heh!
In the mountains, you can include cows and goats to this orchestral herd and they even come with a bell section. One of the coolest things I encounter is what I call "The sounds of the towns" and each one has it's own melody.
The ringing of cows and goats walking around and the crowing and barking of smaller critters has somewhat of a natural tone to it and I have grown to love it. Especially when combined with the usual singing going on by the other inhabitants of these villages.
San Bartolo is no different and in fact, the critters there seem more "vocal" than most places I have seen."

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 05:09 PM

My neighbors in Cantu have Peac-cks, those things scream like banshees every time the dogs start barking.:lol:

I love waking up in the middle of the night to their crys. My Mexican wife says she is going to hop the wall and strangle those suckers one day. I guess she didn't get the memo that she is supposed to be in tune with the animals.:lol::lol:

Here are a couple of more to add to your Mexican Melody. The gas truck that drives by every day honking his horn. The donut guy with his big loud speaker mounted on top of his little ford fiesta proclaiming how good his chocolates are. He stops or slows way down in front of our house because obviously my wife is one of his best customers, that is, when I am in the states. :lol: Or the broom salesman or..........:lol:

As far as my contribution to the orchestra. I have the first second and third chair Perros, Shadow, BJ, and the newest K-9, Dos Patos, and Perla the chicken.:lol::lol:
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 05:13 PM

The thing that amazes me is that all these sounds serenade me to sleep! Although it can be quite loud, I have the best sleeps! When I come home, I find half the sound level so annoying that I toss and turn and feel irritated and b-tchy!!:fire::fire::fire:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 06:07 PM

That would explain it Marie! The only crowing and clucking that I get to hear now are, well, you know!:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 6/26/2005 by jrbaja]
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 06:18 PM

Probably the place and not the noise Marie-Rose. I almost said Marie, but I remembered going out on a date once with a girl named Carole Anne. I made the mistake of calling her Carol. She pointed out that her name was Carole Anne, and If I was ever allowed to call her Carol, it was Carol with an E. She obviously had an identity problem.
There I go rambling again. Anyway, my favorite musical sound is the sound of the 16 wheelers coming down the hill when your staying in the motel at el Rosario. You just gotta love those air brakes.......
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 06:31 PM

Sounds of La Ribera,
I happen to love the sounds here! especially on weekends,
We have the plastics guy selling his wares, the guy that has a pickup full of oranges,{really good deal, almost freee he says over his recorded message played at high volume, as his truck crawls by!} Public service anouncements, Vota Por Me, Upcoming dances bands, Circus is in town! The hipmotist guy, Great Stuff! Most of the time, done on Sundays because in this village, most folks have the day off, and have been paid for their work week! All makes sense to me, kinda like having like having the classified adds delivered to your door by loud speaker, oh, I almost forgot Clavel the night singer,
before he became ill and bed ridden, usta come by at 3 am
or so two or three nights a week singing lost and abandoned love ballids next to my bed room windows, great voice, didn't slur the words much, I miss him!
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2005 at 06:34 PM

Mike Odell. Great post.:lol::lol::lol:

God luvem!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-25-2005 at 09:12 PM
Hahahahaha

Yes indeed, great post!:lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 12:55 AM
I concur

One of the senses least discribed in words. Hit a high note with me. My most memorable audio encounters come at midnight in the form of magical mariache music wafting down the rio Mulege and thru our palapa.
jim janet
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 08:40 AM

My wife and I spent one wonderful nite in a hotel in Constitution,talk about a mix of sounds fron kids ,cars,trucks and busses.All in all a great nite,the room even came with live entertainment
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 10:41 AM

It all goes back to one of my favorite sayings

The difference between an ordeal and an adventure is ATTITUDE!

burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 01:01 PM

For the most part it is my own critters making most of the racket so I have no one to complain to.
I here all the sounds listed in the other posts, just part of life in Baja.
I think however that my burro, Filimon, might just beat all for the amount of racket he can make. At least once a night around 3 am he starts braying. I'm not sure what he is braying at, but have been told that he can be heard about 10 blocks away. Sometime his girl friend, Diablita, adds background harmonies. On top of that he ocassionaly kicks his metal bath tub/feed station with his feet as he is braying. I guess he wants a drum section to go along with his singing. You don't sleep when a singing, drum playing burro is serenading you.
burro bob
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 03:19 PM
Good thing your not in San Bartolo Burro

the drum playing ones are turned into machaca:lol:
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 03:24 PM

JR, I though that that was what they called Birria.:lol::lol:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 03:29 PM

And I thought that is what they make burritos out of!

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-26-2005 at 03:32 PM
Burro birria

machaca burritos. Kinda has a ring to it.:lol:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.