Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mexican Fireworks
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
They are legal in most parts of Baja Norte unless specifically posted in a specific enclave.

Well, not in Rosarito. There is actually a law that prohibits them without a permit. That's why most of it happens on the beach, which used to be out of the city's jurisdiction.

What irritates the hell out of me is that people are so damned rude. Twelve...one....later, they just don't give a s**t. And when you ask them it's, "Hey this is Mexico,I can do what I wan't."

I'll go for that. If I can catch a few of them I'll do what I want.:fire:

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
They are legal in most parts of Baja Norte unless specifically posted in a specific enclave.

Well, not in Rosarito. There is actually a law that prohibits them without a permit. That's why most of it happens on the beach, which used to be out of the city's jurisdiction.

What irritates the hell out of me is that people are so damned rude. Twelve...one....later, they just don't give a s**t. And when you ask them it's, "Hey this is Mexico,I can do what I wan't."

Sounds like this man needs my Viking Hat!
I agree....at Pete's Camp, down a beach or two...there were knuckleheads shooting them rockets off.....two in the a.m. :fire:

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 08:58 PM
Although I do know a few clowns

who have lit them in Rosarito Beach proper, even the P-ncheist of P-nches generally have enough sense to stumble their way to the beach before lighting themselves on fire!:lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 11:07 PM
from years of experience...

I can tell you that the Mexican varieties were half duds and half were unpredictable except for the regular firecrackers. I quit using Mexican works shortly after a bad experience(but not cause of works).
Be responsible and shoot them off away from people, houses and vegetation. It's too bad a few (ahem) idiots make it unpleasurable for some of you. It's a very big event here in the NW and we have VERY FEW accidents and problems on the 4th. It's all about maturity and respect and it's clear that idiots run rampant in Mexico.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

The law against fireworks cannot be enforced on the beach, it is federal land.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
greybaby
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 11:59 PM

Our son came to visit us several years ago right before New Year's. He decided he was going to take some of the "real" fireworks to Idaho with him to celebrate with his buddies. Since he was flying from San Diego, we told him we thought he was going to have problems getting them on the plane. So he decided to leave them behind - but for fun decided to light just one of the "bombs" in the street where we lived in Valle Dorado in Ensenada. I figured the whole police force of Ensenada would show up but it was like nothing had happened. For the first time when we crossed the border, the agent looked right at him and asked him if he had any fireworks. He smiled and told him, "I did, but decided it wasn't a good idea to bring with me so I left it in Ensenada." Smart boy!! We blew the rest off on New Year's Eve in Ensenada!!!
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 06:49 AM

See you on the 4th Marilyn! Ka booom.:lol:
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Boy is this topic relevent to my experiences in Baja. As a life-long pyro I must share a little bit of the past. I'm not quite sure at what age I started getting fireworks and "Horsechit" cigarettes but I was around 14. My dad would always drag us down to Tijuana to shop and pick up booze for himself. I started bringing cherry-bombs and cracker-balls back three or four times a year. I loved finding the stores that had them. I always had to ask to see them as they were typically out of sight. I loved some of the unique types like the triangle firechackers, the dangerous sky rockets and myriad others.
As a young enthusiastic idiot I borrowed my folks car while they were away and drove down and filled the car with a variety of 'works' including many "bricks" of firecrackers. While just crossing over the border the transmission burned up and we barely coasted off the highway. Now what do I do with a carload of "works"?

tomorrow, the other part

also, I meant to ask what is available these days?

[Edited on 6-27-2005 by Sharksbaja]

One time when I was a small boy of 7-8 in the early 1970, I wanted some mexican firecrackers, you know, the homemade ones made out of newspaper that are painted red. We stopped in San Quentin and tried to find some.
We were having poor luck so my dad asked the Pemex guy, in his spanglish, my dad asked for "Fuego-boom-booms" :lol: and pantomimed am explosion....the guy smiled and pointed us to a small shop down the street.
We went and asked and the guy said he did not have nada. We said the Pemex guy said he did. He brightened up, went to the back room of his shop, and came out with a box of sweating Dynomite! :o. We politely indicated we were interested in the "fuego-boom-booms" that were mas pequino. Which he did not have. We of course did not buy the Dynomite.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 09:31 AM
Timely

After reading and commenting on this yesterday, last night at 10pm, a group just down the beach started their bombardment. It lasted for about an hour with my dogs hiding inside the casa the whole time. Although it is dark just after 8 pm, apparently the marooons aren't yet juiced up enough at that time.

My best experience with Fireworks in Baja was about four years ago. We were down swimming in the lagoon and there was this family group with small children camping under a palapa adjacent to the water. One of the male adults (father ?) was setting off one bomb after another. The youngest child was in tears and screaming his/her head off. The adult bent down to light another and it IMMEDIATELY went off. He stumbled back screaming and holding his hand. They quickly threw all of their gear into their truck and went roaring off to town (I guess). When someone commented "Oh, that's too bad", I said "Too Bad ? I hope the SOB blew his hand off".
Sometimes (not often enough) there is justice.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 11:55 AM
I sure would not want to be your neighbor.

I find the last two sentences of your comment repulsive, disgusting and in poor taste MrBill. Just my opinion.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
The law against fireworks cannot be enforced on the beach, it is federal land.

The Congress recently passed a law that allows state and local agencies to enforce the law in the federal zone. Of course this means that now they will enforce them to their own advantage, not their constituents.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 12:02 PM
Beach Gestapo

and that sounds like South Bay beaches again.
greybaby
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 12:24 PM

Hi Tom. Unfortunately, I won't be home on the 4th, but Dave will!! I have to go back to Montana to be with my dad. Had surgery which had a worse outcome than we had hoped and my sister needs me back up there.

Used to have to buy the fireworks we really liked in Idaho out of dealers' trunks and then try to figure out where we could set them off and not burn down the neighborhood!!!

As soon as I get back, your doll of a wife and I need to go for a run on the beach!!!
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 12:34 PM

I know she is looking forward to it, especially since she blew up her motorcycle, AGAIN. Talk about fireworks.

All the best for you and your pop. Tom and Yho.
greybaby
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 12:46 PM

That is really too bad. She looked so forlorn one day when I stopped by - her motorcycle was laying on its side and she was trying to figure out what to do next.

Dave will be lonely - so stop by if you have time.

We need to have a barbecue when I get back and you're around again.
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 12:47 PM

My doll of a wife. Si como No!

http://www.baja.net/fud/index.php?t=msg&goto=23000&r...
greybaby
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 12:51 PM

And she will shoot you for sure if she sees it on here!!!!! But she IS a doll. You can't deny it.
greybaby
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 01:50 PM

LOL Gene. Good for you!!! Tom's going to owe her more than a motorcycle that runs!!

You and your lovely wife will need to come over when we get together too.
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 01:55 PM

In case you Nomads have not figured it out. Hose A, and greybaby, are friends and neighbors of ours. Very good people. I'm still trying to figure out what they are going to blackmail me out of though. Hmmmm? More shrimp ceveche? Or is it the filet?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-28-2005 at 02:10 PM
and you probably wouldn't want to be MY neighbor

eye candy to me...

[Edited on 6-28-2005 by Sharksbaja]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.