BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja Rosario Festival 2005 activities!!!
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 10:20 PM
Baja Rosario Festival 2005 activities!!!

Hi everyone...

Finally sometime to sit down and post some info for the Festival...we have been really busy setting all this up and ready.

We are planning a series of activities so anyone coming may choose when and where to go...let me give you some details on them.

Scheduled events....

Friday 22nd

2:00 pm.....Opening ceremony at the first Mission site in town.
4:00 pm-7:00 pm.....Jaripeo (kind of a small rodeo show).
8:00 pm-10:00 pm.... Story telling by elders from town around a bon fire at La Bocana beach.
8:00 pm-2:00 am.....Opening dance and party in town with "norte?o" live music.

Saturday 23rd

4:00 pm-7:00 pm.....Jaripeo (kind of a small rodeo show).
8:00 pm- ?:?? am.....Beauty pageant dance and party, also live "norte?o" music.

Sunday 24th

2:00 pm-5:00 pm..... Horse races and maybe also some people racing.
5:00 pm-7:00 pm..... Jaripeo (kind of a small rodeo show).
8:00 pm-2:00 am..... Closing dance party.

Expos and sites to see around town

Art and History Expo

It will be open from 2:00 pm on friday until 8:00 pm.
Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm.

Besides other things, in here you will be able to see old antiques from very old local families as well as old photos along with descriptions.
Also we are having a fossil exhibition here, displays and explanations of all the Baja missions, and local artists making their fine art right in front of you.

Local Industry Expo

Also open from 2:00 pm on friday until 8:00 pm.
Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm.

Local industries exhibit what, where and how they produce diverse materials from local resources, you will be able to sample some of these products.

Sites in town

Two old mission ruin sites, the local cemetery, a small local museum and the local "tree fossil forest" will be available as sites to see...you can visit them on your own or take the bus tours we will have for you on the Festival.

Mechanical Fair

A small mechanical fair is also planned to be available in town.

Cattle Exposition

Some local ranches will exhibit some of their finest animals only for your enjoyment. Open all day.

La Lobera

Guided tours will be available for you to La Lobera and back in a couple of vans...yu can either ride with us or follow them in your own car.

Food

Food booths will be up and running from friday morning until sunday night.
Most will be open from 10:00 am until 2:00 am next morning.
In those you will be able to taste some food made by local families as well as some local restaurants...

These are some of the activities we are planning for you....

Also... if enough people get organized and would like an out of town off road trip, like for example El Cardonal... I can make that happen... as I am very busy with the other events details, I have asked DavidK, my "US liaison" to assist me...any questions about off road guided tours please e-mail him...

Well... I hope this gives you a better idea of what we have organized for this first time ever festival...AND YOU CAN BE A PART OF IT...JOIN US!!!

I am now finalizing the specifics for the rooms/rv/camping reservations... I just e-mailed everyone who I had on my list to confirm... If you wish to come along and I did not e-mail you, please send me a message to festival@bajacactus.com and I will secure a spot for you.

We still have room available...!!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

[Edited on 6-29-2005 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 11:09 PM

Thank you Antonio... my email is info*at*vivabaja.com (for those of you in Rio Linda, change *at* to @) I have already posted most of the details here on Nomad, but there will be more... maybe a special map?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 12:00 AM

Thanks Antonio,

This sounds like it is going to be a special event and I thank you for all the effort you are doing to make this happen for us! CAN'T WAIT!

PS: I get to hold the baby right???? :biggrin:

[Edited on 6-28-2005 by Debra]

[Edited on 6-28-2005 by Debra]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 08:48 AM
Good to see a schedule of events

Much to see and do.

Based on this, if there is going to be any type of organized off-road adventure, Saturday morning would seem the likely choice.

I guess I am leaning towards doing a boonie camp at La Bocana on Friday night and, if permitted, La Lobera on Saturday night. If not allowed, then it's probably La Bocana again.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 01:23 PM

David, is there an idea of where people will be able to park and leave their cars and then walk around, and/or use the buses to the various tours? I'm getting an idea that with the exhibits and food and other vendors the streets may be restricted to traffic somewhat.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 06:51 PM

Well, before Antonio heads back to Rosario (I notice he never says El Rosario, when speaking) I hope he gets back on the board to answer that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As stated before, camping at La Bocana (sandy beach) will have security, so you can come into town for the events or tours and not worry about your camp.

Let's make a decision about the camping okay?

a) La Bocana: organized by BajaCactus, sandy beach, security, porta potty, trash cans, old timers story telling around the bon fire one night... group bon fire other night, perhaps?

b) La Lobera: cliffs, tide pools, scenic coast, out house, trash cans, maybe an open restaurant, maybe security... BajaCactus not responsible here.

c) El Cardonal or anywhere else in the desert: no facilities... peace and quiet perhaps (but you can get that on your other Baja trips).

Frankly, I am in favor of utilizing La Bocana since Antonio is going to the trouble to bring in those mentioned items... and it is closer to town, and no military checkpoint (it is on the mesa between town and the La Lobera road).

I am staying at Baja Cactus motel, but plan on going to La Bocana for the bon fire and socializing, story telling Sat. and Sun. nights... I don't think I will get into Rosario much before midnight Friday night/ Sat. am.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday morning may be a good time for a dirt road trip? Perhaps head up the Rosario river valley, see el cardonal, climb La Vibora grade, past the cactus gardens, cross Rio San Juan de Dios, Sauzalito copper ghost mine, then back to town on Mex. 1 (if the desire is there, the Camino Real is only 2 miles from Mex. 1, as well.) LOOK at: pictures starting with the third at http://vivabaja.com/1104/page3.html and going to the next page, taken along this road. The next page (5) has the El Camino Real section I found last November.

The two 'organized' caravan tours to the missions, museum, La Lobera, etc. (vans provided for those coming by moho or low car) can happen later on Sat. and Sun.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 07:34 PM
David,

How long would you estimate it would take to do the off-road trip you are describing EXCLUDING the side trip to the El Camino Real?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 09:32 PM

Maybe a 3 hour tour? Of course Gilligan's Island was supposed to be only a 3 hour tour!

The entire loop starting and ending in El Rosario is about 65 miles (31 dirt)...

Let's see:
Mile 0 El Rosario (at the curve/Mama Espinoza's) 9am?

Mile 5.1, turn left off highway, far side of bridge, head up valley... se El Castillo, across valley. Miles approx. from here... I was using GPS to record the trip mostly.

Mile 14, stop at trees near Cardonal, in side valley 9:30-10?

Mile 18, after climbing up the Vibora Grade, stop by mine, note spanish moss on boojum tree

Mile 23, driving along top of ridge, pass road going down left to Rancho Los Martires

Mile 31, join with main road to Los Martires (Baja 2000 race course). 11 am?

Mile 32, SPLASH! Cross the San Juan de Dios river

Mile 33, Sauzalito copper mine ruins 11:15-11:45

Mile 36, Hwy. 1

Mile 64, El Rosario 12:30?

OK, so a 3 1/2 hour tour? :)

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2005 at 10:44 AM
that sounds pretty interesting....

....and not too long. Thanks.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2005 at 01:19 PM

David, could I do that 3-hour loop in my F250 4x4 supercab long bed - or am I too large?

We plan on checking out those beach areas, but would enjoy electricity available at that motel RV park to run our A/C in the cabover (I have a hard time with the heat sometimes).

We leave early Friday morning and will just mosey on down.

What are the directions to the beachs of La Bocana and La Lobera?

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-29-2005 at 02:19 PM
Parking and tours...

Debra... it is our pleasure to have all this done for you guys... and yes... you can hold our baby girl all you want... she loves to be hold...:smug:

About parking... we are cleaning up a big space right in the middle of town for parking... from there you will be able to walk around all the exhibits and dances and shows...

About tours... we are planning to have our bus and van tours to visit all the motels in town before beggining a guided tour... so, you may leave right from your room and once the tour is done, be dropped there as well.

When you arrive into town, we are planning to give out detailed schedules for the tours as well as printed maps of the town with location of the sites to visit.

Any other questions I will be happy to answer them...

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 10:43 PM

Bob, yes... it is all graded dirt road except for the mile over to El Cardonal, but that is level road.

La Bocana: Just follow the river course to the ocean... Leave pavement at the sharp left curve (Mama Espinoza's corner), by turning right (west)... then you come to a split... go left (across river) for El Rosario Abajo, La Bocana 4WD route, & Punta Baja. Go right for the 2WD longer route to La Bocana.

La Lobera: See directions in the photo caption here: http://community-2.webtv.net/TheBaja/505/page4.html
Just a reminder that you take the left branch at the only fork, driving in (the nice graded road).

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by David K]

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 06:40 AM

Sure looking forward to seeing all you Nomads down in the Baja for the Rosario Festival. Sounds like a lot of fun. Not sure if we'll come down late Thursday or early Friday, but we'll be there! The "three hour tour" sounds like fun too. Anybody else planning to bring something "especial" to drink around the campfire?

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Bob, yes... it is all graded dirt road except for the mile over to El Cardonal, but that is level road.

La Bocana: Just follow the river course to the ocean... Leave pavement at the sharp left curve (Mama Espinoza's corner), by turning right (west)... then you come to a split... go left (across river) for El Rosario Abajo, La Bocana 4WD route, & Punta Baja. Go right for the 2WD longer route to La Bocana.

La Lobera: See directions in the photo caption here: http://community-2.webtv.net/TheBaja/505/page4.html
Just a reminder that you take the left branch at the only fork, driving in (the nice graded road).

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by David K]

This is good stuff man! Thanks. I'm putting everything on one document and that will be my guide.
Gracias,
Bob H

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by Bob H]

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 03:57 PM

Anyone that believes David's "3 hr. tour" is going to end up like Gilligan and "the rest" ......everybody has that dang song in their head now right?!!! :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 07:06 PM

How about a sampling of Nomads who would like to caravan on this 3.5 hour?

Sat. AM or Sun. AM?

This is some pretty country seldom seen by 'gringos'... lots of cactus, mines, a rare desert river crossing (saw ducks here in July, 2000)...

The entire loop starting and ending in El Rosario is about 65 miles (31 dirt)...

Mile 0 El Rosario (at the curve/Mama Espinoza's) 9am?

Mile 5.1, turn left off highway, far side of bridge, head up valley... see El Castillo, across valley. Miles approx. from here... I was using GPS to record the trip mostly.

Mile 14, stop at trees near Cardonal (cardon cactus forest), in side valley 9:30-10?

Mile 18, after climbing up the Vibora Grade, stop by mine, note spanish moss on boojum tree

Mile 23, driving along top of ridge, pass road going down left to Rancho Los Martires

Mile 31, join with main road to Los Martires (Baja 2000 race course). 11 am?

Mile 32, SPLASH! Cross the San Juan de Dios river

Mile 33, Sauzalito copper mine ruins 11:15-11:45

Mile 36, Hwy. 1

Mile 64, El Rosario 12:30?

IF interested, the Camino Real can be seen just a couple miles from Mex. 1... on the way back to Rosario...

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2005 at 01:45 PM
I think we would be game for this

Either Sat or Sun would probably work for me.

I am in a heavy Ford diesel 4x4 with a Lance on the back. Not a dually. Is there really deep sand that might give me trouble? I have an airpump and can go as low as about 20 lbs. but not much lower as they are 10 plys.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 07:48 AM

Hook, no sand... all pretty firm road from what I recall last November when Antonio and I drove it.

Antonio may have something going on one of the days for us Nomads, and that will determin when we do the driving tour (SAT or SUN). I would suggest being at the Pemex station no later than 9 am to join the caravan. I will try and post which day before next Wednesday... Otherwise, be there Sat. at 9... If not the desert drive that day, then we will go somewhere like La Lobera or the museum or missions or ??? A rancher has invited us to visit his place, south of town as well.

As for the desert drive:
I put my truck into 4WD on two places (the steep climb up La Vibora) and crossing the San Juan de Dios river, but that may not have been needed. I will suggest that no 2WD passenger cars go, however.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 07:01 PM

EL CAMINO REAL near Mex. 1 (Km. 80-81)

On the way back to town, should anyone want to, I will pull off on the Punta San Carlos road (near Km. 81) and drive just 0.4/0.5 mi. on it, and then turn right (on the only side road) going 1.4 miles to see the Camino Real heading towards El Rosario. The old trail was obliterated by farm cultivating where it crossed the San Carlos road, so going the 1.4 miles on this side track will take you out of the tilled field and to the hills.

The GPS for the point where the mission trail can be seen heading straight for Rosario is: 30-01.167', 115-33.260' (NAD27). It is just a dirt path mind you, photos of it here at: http://vivabaja.com/1104/page5.html

Photos taken along the 3.5 hour tour route are at http://vivabaja.com/1104/page3.html and continue on the next page (4).

[Edited on 7-16-2005 by David K]

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 07:34 PM

Sat 9 am sounds good to me....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.