Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Maximum capacity
latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 05:11 PM
Maximum capacity

The summer is off to an unpleasant start according to friends in San Juanico.

The campground became packed early for the recently swell that had been hyped way in advance which gave people lots of travel planning time.

Then coincidence, or the alignment of the planets brought together an unusually large number of unsavory individuals into the already large crowd resulting in

fights in the water
fights in the campground
fights in the restaruant.

Don't know why I thought it would be any different this season.

Oh well, we went off the deep end long ago anyway.

Nowadays we watch the weather charts before going down and hope it's going to be flat to reduce some of the stress and drama. Mr latitude just checked his charts and there are no swells on the horizon so we're looking good for our departure in a couple of days.

If you've been surfing all your life too, you can appreciate how absurd it feels to hope that it's going to be flat.

sigh...
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 05:23 PM

wow that sounds like a bad crowd. I cant remember the last time we had a fight in Mulege. but we don't have any serf ether. I wonder if there is a connection? I always thought surfers were really mellow people.:wow:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 06:14 PM

There are sooo many people in the water now and only a limited supply of waves.

Punta Pequena does not have waves consistently because of a few factors like the ocean bottom offshore, and direction that the points face. So when waves finally appear, there can be 100 "very enthusiastic" individuals who have been waiting for weeks in the hot desert sun after driving 800 rough miles, all looking to ride some waves.

If there are 40 people in the water and 4 waves come in every 10 minutes, each person would only get to ride 1.6 waves per hour if everyone shared. Ha!

I guess it would be like 40 people rushing to hit a golf ball off of the same tee at the same time.

Even the most mellow a person can tend to get a little testy under those conditions.

Curse this frustrating sport that governs our lives!

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 06:23 PM

sounds like a heck of a way to spend a vacation. glad I never took up surfing it was always high on my list of things to try. but always lost out to something else.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 07:49 PM

wanted to go there this summer....this gives me good reason to pass it up....sounds too much like Newport beach...
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
wanted to go there this summer....this gives me good reason to pass it up....sounds too much like Newport beach...

ditto, I am a slow learn. What road do these wave-warriors come into S. Juanico
dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 06:13 AM

with 1,000 miles of coastline to look for surf you would think people would not bunch up in one spot, about 1 hr. south of San Juanico there are several spots that are good with no people.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 07:23 AM

Where ?...Where?.....

I think they would come in from the road just below Conception...across to La Purisma....and the north.....at least that is what I would do...
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 07:34 AM
Another warning

Some friends of mine were surfing last year in front of Zippers when they were attacked by a local guy(well apparently he is actually from MexicoCity). He doesnt really surf. Is usually on a boogie board. After the incident, I asked around and found out that this nut has attacked many people....all gringos. I have no way of knowing if he is still around although I believe that his wife still is so assume that he is too...she is a gringa btw.
So if some nut tries to bait you into a fight walk away. He has hurt some people pretty badly. Oh he also attacked another friends car.
FYI the surf has calmed here. Looks like rain right now.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 09:39 AM
new surf report

scratch the calm surf.....nice southerly swell coming in from the rem nants of Calvin.
rain still possible but doesnt look as likely

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by bajajudy]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 01:02 PM

unfortunaltely s.b. is a joke (in season). there are still times when it is uncrowded. three weeks ago i got it shoulder high for 45 minutes alone. then there were 4 of us to share it. it is a dream spot, but mostly a bad dream at this time of year.

BTW i know of 5 families heading down starting today! have fun boys and girls...:O

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 01:28 PM

http://www.scorpionbay.net/

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 03:00 PM

Pedro on the beach with his horse in San Juanico
http://www.juanyjuan.com/
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 10:11 AM
Summer calendar of events

July= family time, caravaning groups, and swell forecast-watchers. The worst. So packed it's no fun passing time on the everyday 0-2ft stuff while waiting for a swell. You can however, walk on water across the entire 2nd point bay on the floating logs.

August= 1st time visitors (who leave saying "next time I'm coming back in ____ month"), lots of people in and out who can't wait thru the flat spells, town people, and swell- watchers. Hot.

Sept= annual returners who set up and stay longer(individuals and groups), town people, and swell-watchers. Can be "stormy"...

Sept/Oct= annuals, surf club caravans, lots of town people, and swell-watchers.

Bring lots of gas money if you plan to explore any alternative surf spots within driving distance as they tend to be fickle. But all that driving does get you away for awhile.

Waiting for those 45 minute "in-between" sessions that Woody described can be a full time job and catching them, even more elusive.

But it's that faint glimmer of hope that keeps you going...

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by oladulce]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 02:56 PM

Quote:

Catching those 45 minute "in-between" sessions that Woody described can be a full time job.

okay, it was only 3-4 waves. but with the waiting in between sets and the loooong walks up the point, well yeah, it was 45 minutes:P

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.