Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: East Cape with questions
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 05:41 PM
East Cape with questions

The boat is strapped to the top of the truck, gear loaded, tank full of diesel, we were ready. So we headed out for Loreto, our ? way stop. Stop in TJ to get our tourist permits. The Immigracion Officer asked for the boys paperwork from their Mom{notarized permission}. I didn?t get one, never had before. He was a grouch {tone of voice} and told to go back and get one. I went ahead and got my permit and headed south. If we got turned around in GN then we would fish BOLA { you have to stay flexible}. Last year they didn?t even give me a Tourist permit for the boys, Mom was with us then, but no one even asked. Sure enough, GN said no problem, pase.
GN Diesel pumps are not all created equal. The northwest pump is friendlier to the owner of the station.
All of the check points were no problem, as usual. Roads were in pretty good shape, except for where they being worked on, Constitution, south of Loreto, Catavina area north and south are a few that stick out in my mind.
We stop @ Burro bay to eat a sandwich, the boys were wilting under the heat. They boys waded out into the bay, it wasn?t much help. I asked if they wanted to overnight here? we moved on.
There was a small accident on the road 5km outside of San Bruno. Federalie stops me and asks if I would take the Mom and her son to San Bruno, no problem. My sons were a little taken back. Why would a policeman put a mom and kid in a truck with strangers? I tell them , its Baja. Everyone stops to help everyone, we all depend on each other. Its clear to them now.
We arrive in Loreto by dinner. Gail @ Quinta San Francisco was waiting for us, as usual, great place to layover. This was our first real taste of warm tropical air. Taco by Ceasar was for chosen for dinner, the open grill in front did it for me, food was very good. We wake up to a great sunrise, fishermen with throw nets for bait Its warm, time to head out.
Stop by Tripui, we were there last year for the fire. Rebuild looks like its going fine. The rest of the way was smooth. Stop @ San Bartolo for fresh fruit and empanadas. We pull into Los Barriles and get our room @ Verdugos. Unloaded and went for a swim.
The gal in the red car across from the store was selling homemade tamales, you know what we had for dinner a few times. There is nothing like home cooking.
Fishing was slow. No offshore glamour species for us, 40-50 mile runs don?t happen in a 14? boat. Inshore usual suspects were slow also. Yellow snapper, leopard grouper, barred pargo, giant needlefish, bullseye puffers, and triggers all were examined and released alive and well.
We fished north, past Punta Pescadero. The next day we fished to Punta Arena, and were stroke trolling across Palmas bay as the Manta rays were jumping everywhere. Of course we had to stop in for breakfast, who can resist machaca con huevos @ Verdugos? My sons didn?t want anything else.. except for Chorizo con huevos.
After breakfast, we gassed up and headed back out. We went north to fish those reefs @ Pescadero. Saw a big bull Dorado inside, he didn?t want anything we had to offer him, still a great sight. The water was so clear we just looked over the side of the boat at all of the life. You can?t get that from Playstation, it?s the nature channel in living color.
I looked South, whitecaps. Now the wind is blowing. Wind them up, we have to get off the water boys. Pounded our way home. The beach landing was rough. We got womped. 3 big waves broke into the boat while we were dragging her up the beach. It was a tight swell. Bailed her out and got up the beach. Weather was building, later in the day the kids were body surfing in the surf. No more beach launching for the rest of the trip.
We headed home early in the morning. While passing through La Paz I see a Police truck flip a u turn after he sees me. I stop for diesel @ the Pemex station. He doesn?t pass by. I know he is waiting for me, its happened to me before. I pull out and wait at the light to make a left turn on the by pass road. Greenlight, its clear, I turn. ? mile down the road, a truck is flashing his beams at me, then his spot light.
Police: Senior, you turned on a green flashing light.
Me: No I did not. I want to go to the station, NOW
Police: Can I see your license?
Me: sure
Police: Well we saw you turn?
Me: I want to see your Jefe at the station NOW , lets go
Police: one moment {they go back for a conference}
Police: Senior, we are going to give you your first strike.
Me: Fine, give me my license so I can go.
Boys: Dad, why did they say we did something we didn?t? They were police, weren?t they?
Me: Yes they were police, and they were trying to get money from us, by accusing us of something we didn?t do.
Boys: The same police that had us take the Mom and kid home?
Me: yes guys, the same police.{they are a little confused by the Army}
Boys: Oh?..

Someone sold a bunch of radar guns to the police. Some speed traps I remembered on the way home.
GN-3
Loreto-1
Const.-1
SQ-1
Santo Tomas-1
They were pulling people over 3 at a time in GN, north and south. I spoke to a few of the people while pumping gas, they were not happy campers. Mordida 40-150 us. Some said that your license is taken and you get it back when you pay the fine. How do you get your license back? Do you get it from the officer? What location? What if he loses it? How would I drive home or anywhere in Mexico without it, if Im the only adult?
Who does 60KM {50mph} on a straight flat road that goes on for miles? The truckers will run you over. The speed limit on the toll road, with turns, is 110 KM.
I know its part of the deal, and if you cant deal then don?t go. This wont stop me from going, I just may not be driving. Everyone else I talked to felt the same way. I don?t want to be a Tourista that hops on a plane, gets picked up by the hotel van, then checks into the all-inclusive resort and never sets foot outside of that resort. How will the tourist dollars trickle out to my tamale lady? What about my favorite taco stand? Ive got just as many questions as my sons do. I don?t think there are any easy answers?..This was my 4th year driving down.

Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 06:23 PM

What a great post!! We had all the same questions ... and I still don't have any answers!! The only thing I know for sure is that I can't wait to go back and do it again!!! :biggrin:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 06:40 PM

what a grate thing to do for your children. nice post nice trip come back any time.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.