Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Bummer
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 05:56 PM
Baja Bummer

Just got back from a quick visit to Rancho Santa Marta, at San Vicente. Met up with our church kids who are working there this week.
We got a call from the Bay Area last week asking if we could meet a woman at the border and convoy her down to Santa Marta since she had never been to Mexico and her husband was reluctant to let her drive alone with a couple of young girls along.
"no problema," be at Dairy Mart Road and follow us, which she did. And was totally thrilled with the fast dash behind us.
Now comes the bummer part.... the next day (last Tuesday) most of the gang took off a half day and went to Ensenada for shopping, etc.
Don't you know that some despicable creatures chose her Honda Van to tap out all the side glass and pack off all the kids Game Boys, Ipods, etc.
Parked right near the monuments on the harbor frontage, on the street, mid-afternoon.
So, thanks to these low-lifes (nah, they are somewhere South of that description) she went from a true "Baja High" to a spoiled trip.

Baja Abajo!!
pokey
Nomad

Mood: sun burned

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 06:41 PM

That is a real bummer. The area where you say the theft took place is certainly not a hidden obscure place; suprised it happened there in broad daylight.

Were the items that were stolen, in plain sight? Or did the losers happen to get lucky?

Keep Mexico weird
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 06:45 PM

that spot is one of the worst in all of Baja ca..

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 07:13 PM
Bruce

You have to be kidding, right?
And that is truly sad Runner. I am guessing it was you Arlene emaild me about. Muchas gracias!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 07:23 PM

not kidding I have been hit three times there the last time the police told me it happens several times a day. sure looks like it would be ez to catch them rats.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 07:51 PM

One of my neighbors told me the story of being parked around there. Actually it was the movie theater lot, as discussed earlier. He came back to his car to find two guys making off with his Bumper, of all things. So I guess that is a bummer bumper estoria!:lol::lol:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
not kidding I have been hit three times there the last time the police told me it happens several times a day. sure looks like it would be ez to catch them rats.

The street behind the park has two full time security guards spaced less than a block apart. One at Baja Naval and the other at the theater. You would think it would easy rat hunting, right?:biggrin:

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 09:24 PM

JR>>>> yep, that was us, dropping in at Agua Viva orphanage in Maneadero.
Just where you told us it would be when we aborted our last search for it.
(Baja Vida was my co-pilot, he used his impeccable Spanish on a local who denied there was a kid's home in the area.... now I am wondering if I can trust BV or the farmer, or whomever??)
Anyway, the place was great!
Immaculately clean, and cheerful
Thanks for sending us there.
I will make a longer report later on.
(sorry we passed you by yesterday, it was 7 a.m. and we were hauling the mail.....we did stop at the original Pan store in Rosarito, they were all out of bollillos and churros.... man, just not my trip, after striking out on salsa verde in Ensenada)

Baja Arriba!!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 09:42 PM
Hose A, where is safe parking in Ensenada?

what is your advice? Is the parking lot above Sanbourns safe?

Is the garage parking next to Hussong's safe?

How about writing a safe parking essay for the tourist zone in Ensenada?

Gracias in advance!

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 09:55 PM

Jan. Like they say in Hawaii. Leave your doors unlocked and don't leave valuables in your car. Sad, but true in Ensenada.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 09:57 PM

There are only three places I park in the city.

If you are going to be near the three heads park next to Cas Mar (the restaurant) across the heads and go inside for a drink, then walk out and tour the city for a few hours. There is a guard in the parking lot who will watch your car, tip him a few dollars.

The other place is on second street, around the corner from Hussongs. It costs a few dollars. It is secure with guard.

The other place is the parking lot directly behind Hussongs. Park and go inside for a drink then go and do whatever. Never had a problem there.

I NEVER park on the street!

Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 10:05 PM

Thats it. In Mexico it is best to pay a couple pesos to have someone watch your stuff. I use both those pay lots also.

One of them is very close to me favorite Downtown hideaway. Suite on the hill with a view of the harbor for 40 bucks. Very secure parking. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 12:21 PM
Quick story...

regarding this exact locale...

7 or 8 years ago I parked my car here for a day trip out to Todos Santos. Knowing the break-in risks, I grabbed two kids from a nearby restaurant and offered them $10 apiece if they'd just keep an eye on my Baja-beaten '85 Subaru GL Wagon.

Six hours later (after scoring 4-6 foot Killers alone), we returned to find the kids standing sentinel beside the car but sporting suspect grins. Scratches at the base of the passenger side window looked equally dubious(Slim Jim). Sure enough, the amp was gone from under my seat as were all my tapes and a box of tools. When asked what happened, both kids shrugged in a "what do you mean?" kind of gesture and then, predictably, asked for their money.

It was classic Baja, absurd and inevitable.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 10:37 PM

It is possible Ensenada has all the tourism it needs. They are not doing anything to encourage tourists to spend their money in Ensenada. As for me, I shall cross the city off my list of places to stop and spend money. Once again, a few spoil it for everyone. Too bad I can't just bypass the city altogether.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 11:47 PM

Too bad the toll road just doesn't keep going THROUGH town.....like right over top of it overpass....I would pay another toll for that.....

[Edited on 7-4-2005 by surfer jim]
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 09:30 AM
I have dreamed...

of such a bypass road MANY MANY times. But alas, such a thing makes WAY too much sense for the Baja Highway Planners...anyways, they're too busy building new toll booths...50 yards from the old ones.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 09:32 AM

Yes, they need a bypass.
bajaruby
Banned

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 10:29 AM

You got that right. The only thing I stop in Ensenada for is the fish market and to tortillaria. My husband stays in the car while I run. Then we're outta there......SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY, not to miss a light or someone that might even look like they are going to step off the curb. Really nice cops there.

[Edited on 7-4-2005 by bajaruby]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 10:34 AM

This is strange, I've never had any problems in Ensenada - and we've gone down there hundreds of times over the last 20 years or so. We will keep going too!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 10:51 AM

saturday we were the only truck in the lot above sanborns. there were three people cleaning up the mess from the night before. after a quick scan around the parking area i told my son, "sorry kiddo, you're on guard dog duty" while i went to buy our fish at the market.

guess i made the right call...

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.