Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Here Comes Memin Pinguin
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 03:39 PM
Here Comes Memin Pinguin

There is an article in yesterday's SD Union-Trib about the Mexican government issuing a set of 5 postage stamps honoring "Memin Pinquin" a Black hapless comic book cartoon character with exagerrated Afroid features, Big Lips, Big hair, Big eyes. In the comic book, the white characters are constantly making fun of him.

Coming on the heels of Vicente Fox's inopportune remarks about blacks, some feel that this is letting Mexico in for more ridicule. What a HOOT ! I love it. Can't wait to buy some of those stamps, although it may be difficult in San Felipe since they always seem to be short of stamps. I mailed some postcards awhile back and they were covered so much with miscellaneous denominations that there was little room left over for the address.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 04:15 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10582&pag...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Coming on the heels of Vicente Fox's inopportune remarks about blacks, some feel that this is letting Mexico in for more ridicule. What a HOOT ! I love it. Can't wait to buy some of those stamps

MrBill, I gather you have never experienced discrimination based solely on your ethnicity. Otherwise, you wouldn't find any humor in this.

Now, I could be wrong about the caricatures being demeaning toward Blacks but I doubt it.

Anyway, here's a challenge:

You find one Black person, (sighted and of sane mind) who doesn't object and I'll remove this post.

beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 06:39 PM
Dave, read this. it seems to be Ok with this young man.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10582

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by beercan]
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 09:11 PM

Beercan, I wasn't speaking of reaction to Fox's previous comments. I was specific in describing the caricatures.

Please read the post from the same "young man" in this thread:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10582&pag...

beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 03:19 AM
OK, I will accept his words.

As long as he doesn't support all the black comedians whose volcabulary consists of two words !!!!! Mother f---er or Nig-er.
I don't believe in those who want it both ways!!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 09:45 AM
Dave

I don't care whether you remove the post and I also don't care how anyone else feels about Memin. I'm just enjoying the tumult. I love seeing the PC crowd in agony.

Thursday's SD Union-Tribune has a followup article showing (3) of the Memin stamps. Also, it was reported on the TV news last night that U.S. comments regarding the stamps have caused a run on their purchase with people standing in line for hours to buy sheets of the stamps at Mexico City's main post office. Part of the reason is probably the desire of Mexicans to do something that ticks off the Gringos. It was also reported that Internet Auction sites are offering the stamps for hundreds of dollars. This is just too much fun.

I've probably known more black people intimately in my life than most of you have met and I know some today who would probably shrug this whole thing off. Of course, some of them don't care for hispanics so it would probably just reinforce their own prejudices.

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by MrBillM]

[Edited on 7-3-2005 by MrBillM]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 09:57 AM
Dave

After living in Long Beach and running the only all black crew in OC for some years, I have found that the type you are looking for (sighted and of sane mind) call me ****** (I was the boss) work harder than the honkey fux, make better lunches, and could give a rats arse about names and jokes. That's because they are human and caring individuals. They just don't have the time to waste with gringo bullchit like this.
I guess you could say, they know when to call a spade a spade. Like when they are gardening for instance!

Yall cracks me up:lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 01:15 AM
It never fails....

it's like unleashing the pitbull. I am offended that anyone is offended. This is ancient crapola. The argument should be over ones own failure to get over something none of us had anything to do with. Nor will it affect our "real" lives. Don't get oneself caught up in this stupidity. If you buy these stamps for reasons other than postage or collecting, then I would say you may have a problem.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.