BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Try to make sense out of this ....
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 08:59 PM
Try to make sense out of this ....

In my previous post (Baja Bummer) I outlined the sad saga of the first time lady visitor who got her van window tapped out and the kids' stuff stolen.

Lots of interesting responses, every single one saying the same thing, "Yep, happened to me in Ensenada, everyone that parks on the street in Ensenada eventually gets the car broken into."

O.K...... let's analyze this just a bit.

Mexico spends millions of dollars per year, advertising tourism. Baja California spends mega-dollars per year, advertising for tourism. Ensenada spends big bucks every year, advertising for tourism.

Tourism, arguably, is the largest industry of Baja and of Ensenada.

Guess what..... my lady friend will go home, tell everyone she meets, "well, we were having a pretty good time, but then we got our van vandalized, broken, stolen, etc."

Her report will permeate more folks, in a negative sense, than a week's worth of positive advertising.

My question.... Would it not make some economic sense for the City of Ensenada to detail a few honest cops (well, that may cook the whole deal right there) to put these creeps out of business???

Maybe I have been in business too long, and look at things with a logical and analytical perspective.... seems to me that as long as this ca-ca continues on the streets (and all Nomads say it does) then the city, state and nation may as well save the advertising bucks.

Like I said, I know a lady that on Monday would have told the whole Bay Area what a neat place Baja is, and today she will simply recount, in remarkable detail, the evil that occurred, because no one seems to care.

Sigh.....

ps.... years ago I got a side window tapped out of my pickup, right in front of my favorite Second Street carbonera cafe....
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 09:29 PM

Im sure they will get right on that, as soon as they hire some new honest police. This may take awhile, they are really busy right now with the new radar guns, its a really big money maker. Everyone I spoke with had a great experience with it. Im sure after they run everyone of the tourists off things will change. {Sorry Im still venting}

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 02:56 PM

where are you going to find honest cops? and how are you going to keep them alive after you find and hire them?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

pokey
Nomad

Mood: sun burned

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 03:17 PM

Taking responsibility for ones safety is necessary here. The police are NOT a 911 call away. Thats why the windows are barred, yards fenced, guard dog(s) placed outside, a gun is kept in the closet and valuables are kept out of sight.

:o

Keep Mexico weird
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 03:56 PM
Sounds like

Long Beach!:O
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 04:28 PM

Up in Ca where I live most pepole don't even take there keys out of the car let alone lock there house unless they a going away for a week. We get a charge out of someone locking their car to pump gas
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 05:03 PM
It's aTourist Thing

Renting cars down in the U.S. Virgin Islands, I noticed that virtually every vehicle had scratch marks around the door and trunk locks. The lady on the desk in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas cautioned us not to leave anything of value in the car because they were broken into so often. Another couple there at the office had just come from Antigua and they said the rental agencies there asked them to always leave the cars unlocked so they wouldn't be broken into. Rich tourists, poor residents. Bad combination. It hasn't slowed down the tourism, though.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 05:08 PM
It won't here either

Believe it or not, not everyone that comes down here reads Baja Nomads message boards.:lol:
pokey
Nomad

Mood: sun burned

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
It won't here either

thats for sure. Tequila chugging gringos have taken over the town for the weekend.

Keep Mexico weird
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 06:07 PM
sounds just like...

Quote:
Originally posted by roundtuit
Up in Ca where I live most pepole don't even take there keys out of the car let alone lock there house unless they a going away for a week. We get a charge out of someone locking their car to pump gas
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
where i live...my wife likes to leave the keys in the car at night with all the windows down:lol::lol:so far,so good... but i still knock on wood
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 10:56 PM

I live in the biggest home on our block here in Ensenada. Its a great home but I have alot of security measures that I installed and if someone does make the mistake of breaking in, he will experience alot of pain....I have bars on all the windows and have the steel doors as well but really if someone wants to get in Im sure they will find a way.

I travel alot to Venezuela and in downtown Caracas even the high rise apartments have their patios completly enclosed by bars. Apparently theives scale by rope to different patios and enter the home. It is really strange to see this.

In Ensenada the drug problem is very bad and because of this there are more and more home break- ins. Years ago I was broke into several times and all that was taken was food. Whoever entered my home did'nt have to bust the door. I would have gladly fed his family and made damn sure his kids did'nt go hungry again, but times have changed and Im very concerned with my family's security. You have to take extra precautions where ever you are not just here in Mexico.

The murders I have investigated were all mostly money related (robberies). Alot of the victims resisted and that was the problem. If you are ever approched by someone who threatens you ALWAYS GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT. These people will kill you or harm one of your family. Im sorry if I scared you but you dont want to become a stat. Have fun but take extra measures not to become a victim..........

roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 12:06 AM

God I couldn't live like that Guess I am one of the fornate ones
Starting to spell like Bruce . Sorry:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 12:36 PM

When I lived in col. Loma Azul I had no trouble, no breakins and my Suzi has no windows.
I moved across the river to an house in a RV Park and now we lock and worry and wonder where things disappear too.

PGs

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.