BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Carlos and beyond! 7-8/ 7-16 trip
jrbobin

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 07:20 AM
San Carlos and beyond! 7-8/ 7-16 trip

Anyone planning to be in the San Carlos area 7-8-05 thru 7-16-05? The wife and I are gonna see if we can drive from San Carlos to Punta Catarina and beyond! We have an 04' Rubicon, (mostly stock) and wouldn't mind having another Nomad with a good rig follow (or lead) along.

I don't see any roads or trails in the Baja Almanac that go much beyond San Carlos and was wondering if anyone has made the trek and perhaps can give me some info?

We'll probably have to "play it safe" and stay on marked trails if we go it alone. I do have a GPS and rented a satellite phone, (who would one call?) so if we do get stuck, at least someone will know...

Any and all info will be appreciated!

"No es cantina, pero salen pedos"

[Edited on 7-4-2005 by jrbobin]
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 08:22 AM

Not much advance notice for this jr ;)....I have planned to be in SAN CARLOS July 20,21,22.....never heard of any road that would go that way without returning to the highway.....certainly nothing near the beach....maybe if you get to the top of the mesa something may show up.....but you would really be on your own doing that....lot of people "busy" this weekend but maybe someone has more info on this before you leave....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 09:20 AM

I was down there a couple of years ago and there was no road between San Carlos and Catarina for 4 wheelers. I've since learned that a motorcycle only trail exist. Good luck and have fun.
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 09:28 AM
Cuidado...

there is no coast road between San Carlos and Catarina and TAKE CARE on long those bluffs...it's easy to drive yourself into trouble out there. Definitely bring a gas can, a good GPS, an extra spare, and some halibut rigs...the surf will probably be flat- small but those sand flats next to the points are HOLDING.

One "problem" with this stretch of coast (south of San Carlos anyway) is that, at many of the points, it's quite difficult to park somewhere where you can see your car from the beach/water which can be a little nerve wracking.

Beyond that, suerte! There is some seriously gorgeous and desolate land down there...enjoy and post a trip report on your return!
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 10:18 AM

a nice little seaside (for the most part seaside) drive is from catarina to san jose.a couple of spots require 4wd -nice, desolate area for sure.a pretty cool blowhole right before you pull into san jose....
jrbobin

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 08:12 PM
San Jose?

Do you think we should bypass San carlos?

Our plan was to check out San Carlos, then head south on the 1 to Guayaquil and then head towards Puerto Canoas and then take the coast to Guerrero Negro. We're looking for solitude, snorkling and fishing... and a place to hang a hammock. Know any sweet spots?
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 10:46 PM

San Carlos is a stunning place to see.....BUT be prepared for LOTS of wind....drive in is nothing special for the most part...if you haven't been there before go for it for the beach/camping experience....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 11:05 PM
San Carlos...

... from the point looking east to the fishing village at the foot of the mesa... (I took this photo, 7-00)

[Edited on 7-6-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 11:32 PM
did i hear.........

snorkling? :cool: Hey...whats the water temp in San Carlos...?

[Edited on 7-6-2005 by yankeeirishman]

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 08:22 AM

Yes, that's the view....and there is another facing the open ocean right on the other side of this view.....

water is VERY cold there unless it is EL NINO....55-60 not uncommon in the summer...heavy currents from surf also...may not be a snorkling friendly place......
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 11:19 AM

jr- if ya have an extra day check out san carlos.personally i would go with the canoas plan. you will find some sweet spots all along that route....between canoas and san jose virtually nobody-maybe a a fish shack around cerro colorado, which is a few miles south of canoas.nobody until san jose- nice folks there-stop and say hi....leave san jose via the road along the laguna....next place with local inhabitants will be blanca.between jose and blanca some pretty cool beaches and coves to camp.from blanca next stop could be cordon( i would look at cono, but don't hang there-) .san andreas is pretty cool too. the water will be cool, perhaps cold all along this region-think 60 degrees or so.late summer it might reach 68 degrees. have fun-it's a nice trip.when are you going? i might very well be in that zone during august.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 02:17 PM

i just saw the dates you posted- i won't be down there for another 3 weeks or so.enjoy the trip!:yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.