Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NExtel Cell Service in Cabo San Lucas
Tifosi
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja on my mind

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:28 AM
NExtel Cell Service in Cabo San Lucas

Is Nextel service available in Cabo? I am traveling there next week and want to get it setup before I go. I've searched the forums and can't find anything on Nextel in Cabo. Can anyone provide some info?

Thanks .... Tifosi
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 12:03 PM

it is Telcel in Cabo

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 02:40 PM

It dosen't work anywhere that I've been latlely. Both in Baja sur or norte.

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
Tifosi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 02:48 PM

I tried setting it up through Nextel but they told me they don't have any coverage in Cabo nor do they have a partnership with TelCel. I checked the TelCel website and they do not list Nextel as a partner. I guess I'm out of luck unless someone can see that I'm missing something.

Thanks .... Tifosi
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 02:53 PM

why not get Telcel service for the time you are here?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 03:04 PM
Like Bruce says

Get the Amigo plan through Telcel. $100.00 and it includes the phone and $30.00 worth of credit. Then buy cards for more credit. They work almost everywhere down here.
bajaloco
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 05:37 PM

Hey JR... how is the reception when your away from cities and in the boonies??

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 08:22 PM

Tifosi,
Telcel may still have a deal where you get 500 pasos for 300.
If your intent is to spend a lot of time on the phone to the states you should take big bucks (Pasos) with you.
You should consider it for emergency only!
For two years, Nextel has told me it would work there. Next time I think I should ask if they know where Baja is?
Forget the phone. Go Fishing.:lol:
Al G

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Tifosi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 10:10 AM

What about Celumex? The rental cell phone service in Cabo? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks .... Tifosi
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 08:19 AM

check this site out for more info

http://msn-cnet.com.com/4520-3504_7-6253284-1.html?part=msn-...

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Tifosi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 09:16 AM

Thanks Bruce!

I did some more research on the coverage area and it looks like I might be able to use my Nextel in CSL. I had to add international dialing and worldwide coverage ($2.99 per month, but I can cancel when not using) and according to a tech at Nextel and the link you posted I can use my phone.

I have looked into Celumex and will keep it as a backup if my Nextel doesn't work once I'm there. I know where the Celumex office is in CSL so it won't be hard for me to swing by and get a phone. I leave in the morning and will report back with my conclusions when I return.

As for my trip I look forward to walking the street of town (real town, not tourist town) and having lunch with the population. Every time I go I meet new and interesting people who are amazed that I would venture away from the tourist area. In the last 5 years (8 trips) I've paid for lunch once. Usually a local will strike up a conversation and spring for my lunch just because they liked the idea that I ventured into their part of town. One of my highlights was two years ago in November when I sat at a steet side taco shop. ate some of the best tacos I've ever had, meet two local construction workers and had a beer with them while we watched the 20 de Noviembre parade go by right in front of us. It was one of those magical afternoons that every traveler dreams about. For a little while I got to blend in with the locals and no one seemed to notice I was from El Norte.

Thanks .... Tifosi
bajaloco
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 11:30 AM

I did the same with my Nextel...No reception it anywhere in Baja....
:lol::lol::lol:

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-8-2005 at 12:02 PM
Sorry Loco, didn't see your question.

Now the smoke seems to have cleared:lol:

Where my phone doesn't work.
Between El Rosario and Catavi?a but, if you go up on a hill in Catavi?a it does.
Between Catavi?a and about 5 miles north of Guerrero Negro.
Between about 5 miles south of Guerrero Negro and about a mile north (or west) of La Cuesta de Infierno (Santa Rosalia).
About a mile south of Santa Rosalia to about a mile south of Mulege.
Probably Agua Verde but didn't try.
Between El Cajete and San Evaristo.
San Evaristo to La Purificacion.
Between San Pedro ad El Triunfo
Los Barriles, depends on where you are
Cabo Pulmo , no, but about 2 miles north yes

I have used my phone throughout most of the Sierra de la Gigantas and a good portion of the Lagunas. It's more about elevation and mountains. In San Bartolo it gets better reception than here in Rosarito where I bought it ???
The pacific coastline is hit and miss. There is probably reception within a few miles or on a hill. Good reception at Punta San Jose and San Carlos. As well as the Punta Conejo to Todos Santos area.

The Telcel special someone referred to is true. But, if you spend $50.00 you get about $90.00 worth of credit. 500 peso card, 936 pesos credit or whatever it happens to be that day. It changes but still a good deal.

Many of the Mexican people use these phones. They would get upset if they didn't work in the majority of places!

Oh yeah, one day in Tio Pablos I listened to a guy (and his girlfriend) confirming an order with Nordstroms for some shoes or something. Nordstroms called him! There are u.s. cell phones that work here. It's just a mystery as to which ones.

[Edited on 7/8/2005 by jrbaja]
bajaloco
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 01:58 PM

Thanks for the come-back JR, sounds to be as good as it's gonna get. It puts my wife at ease, to have a phone, in the back country...small price to pay to keep on having fun..:spingrin:

Tifosi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2005 at 10:37 AM

I'm back from 9 days in CSL and it was a blast. Nothing to do but lounge on the beach, eat tacos or seafood, watch silly teenage gringos make fools of themselves on booze (but man are they fun to watch :P ), make new friends and enjoy.

As for Nextel service in Cabo it is non-existent. It's so bad, my phone would burn through it's battery in one day searching for service. I ended up renting a phone from Celumex. It was a decent deal. $7 per day plus $.50 per minute for all incoming or outgoing calls regardless of call location. If you need a phone and don't have TelCel or Verizon, then Celumex is the way to go.

Tifosi

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.