Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: "I've been coming here since"
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-6-2005 at 03:25 PM
"I've been coming here since"

One of the cute things I notice from the gringos down here is that they seem to think they are cool because they have been coming here for longer than someone else.
Thus, most every conversation or new acquaintance they meet starts with "I've been coming here since" or "I've lived here since", yet they have no Mexican friends.:?:
And they are usually surprised when the tourists actually know more about the areas these "been coming here's" live in as the tourists aren't afraid to look around some. Then it's "oh yes, we keep meaning to do some exploring" "but you know, if we leave, nothing get's done around here".
Funny thing is that the people who actually have lived here for some time and have Mexican friends and travel Baja don't use this "cool" approach as they have their priorities based upon an entirely different lifestyle. Most tried to leave the "cool" approach back in the u.s. where they came from and adapt a more "real" lifestyle.
Priorities and being cool to these people is minding ones business, helping when needed, relaxing, fishing, and not seeing any need for "looking cool" to those with less time here or whatever. It just doesn't matter.
And then there are the tourists. And you can hear them in every enclave yelling about "I've been coming here since" thinking that this is what life is about. And then, they actually feel a sense of accomplishment if they have been coming here since before any of the current group has.:?:
I just hope it doesn't go to any of their heads!:light:
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 03:32 PM
fleas

"I've been coming here since" or "I've lived here since", yet they have no Mexican friends

I hope that you dont mean this...all of us? Not me. I got more freinds in Tulume that a dog got fleas!

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-6-2005 at 03:46 PM
Oh good grief

of course I don't mean everybody. Just the ones that go somewhere, think it's cool to talk about it (status) and have never REALLY even been there. :O

And try some PROGRAM or ADVANTAGE for that similar problem!:light::lol:

[Edited on 7/6/2005 by jrbaja]
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 07:20 PM

Jrbaja it is called the pecking order. hence chicken coopers.:P

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 07:59 PM
exactly...

yea,i've heard that phrase used a few times....it seems like some use it as a kind of status symbol,like they're trying to make sure you know that they were there before you....what i wonder is,how they cannot tell that i really dont care,i mean its pretty obvious aint it....the fact of the matter is none of us were the first ones to be where we are,even if youre in the most remote spot on earth chances are theres a guy waiting to tell you"i've been coming here since"....:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 08:09 PM

Jr, I think you would be using those phrases if you have been going down there since forever. I think the only time it is a real problem to brag about that is if the person is lying.

As for seeing the sights, there are people here stateside who have been here a long time, made a lot of local friends, and yet have never seen the big trees of Calaveras, Whiskeytown, Bolinas, The Sac Delta, and much more. Those people seem to make their lives rewarding in other pursuits. Which is better? It is not for me to say.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 09:14 PM

I don't have any real American friends in Mexico. If I wanted to learn something from them, I would not have to travel all the way down to Loreto. Besides, the Americans are always telling me how long they have been coming to Baja. Actually, the way most (not all) Americans act, I really don't want them for a friend.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:14 PM

Interesting topic, wonder what brought it up?
I would have to agree with Packoderm's point of view. Some people live closer or choose to live there so they get to live that lifestyle much more. Maybe you right, Jrbaja, people do say it for reason and the reason is probably just that they are envious and not as a better than thou statement?
With the exception of Bolinas(what or where is that?) All those places that Packoderm mentioned have a lot to offer.
Darn I wish I could travel more!!! Of course I always go to Whiskeytown and been living here for years soooo there! :lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:16 PM
Pac

It doesn't matter how long I've been here, what matters is that I hear it so often, generally under bragadoschious circumstances, that it gets just plain annoying. Seriously!
But, it's not just Baja. Seems to go along with many of the resort areas in the u.s. as well. Could be international, could be pride, could be very irritating when used by P-nche gringos:lol::lol::lol:
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 08:04 AM

I came to Mulege to see a friend and I'm still here.

Good people here, cheap to live.

It happens to be in Mexico.

I didn't come to be with or associate with any group or culture.

I came here to live in peace and have a good time.

If someone ask me a question, I try to answer it as best as I know.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:45 AM

you are a good man Richard I enjoy you posts.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 12:30 PM

I know some message boards that are kind of like that. "I've been posting here since..." Some even give you little titles like "newbie" or "elite."

:lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-7-2005 at 12:49 PM

:lol::lol::lol: Doug, could you change my eliteness to Non Nomad?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 12:53 PM
and change mihne to....

Gomad:lol:
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 01:00 PM

Sounds like you surround yourself w/some real dicks and or spend a tremendous amount of time anylizing them. I suggest you walk away so they don't get your goat.;D

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 01:06 PM
If that was directed at me,

I don't hang around them, just lived in a lot of resort areas including Baja. It is right in front of my face, every day. Especially in the gringo enclaves.
And I post about it with the hopes of opening some eyes. And perhaps make some think about what I say.
They do!
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 01:14 PM

Of course it was directed at you, oh ye of thin skin:biggrin: I say get thy face in a different place.:light:
How's this for open eyes!:O

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-7-2005 at 01:20 PM
Pretty unlikely.

In spite of the negative aspects brought by the P-nches, I still like it here.
After all, busses are being blown up in many neighborhoods in the modern world. Much scarier than a few shallow minded tourists.
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 01:47 PM

Well, it's like my mom told me;"if you can't say something nice about somebody, say something bad about them". :tumble:
Just yankin' your chain a bit.
Glad to hear there is something still positive there for you.

bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 02:05 PM
I'm not sure...

which is more bitter: actually using the, "I've been coming here since..." qualifier or calling out others for doing it. One resets the newcomers, the other resents that resentment: Both need a cold Tecate.

And to my way of thinking, both oppose the white-man-in-Baja aesthetic of "We're ENTITLED to nothing."
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.