Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: "I've been coming here since"
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 02:59 PM

I find that when someone uses "I've been comming here since..." It means that I am supposed to be impressed. If they have been coming for a long time, then I am impressed... that their liver and kidneys still work. The only time I find that line appropriate is when someone is trying to describe what someplace like San Felipe looked like way back when.
The other variation on that line is " I have "x number" of SCORE finishing pins. Like running an off-road race is somehow the most challenging and intellectual thing you can do in Baja.
I don't care if someone has been here for a million years or it is their first time down here. If they have done something or been somewhere that I haven't then I can learn something. I use my own experiences and knowledge to filter out what is important and what is male bovine excreation.
burro bob
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by burro bob
If they have been coming for a long time, then I am impressed... that their liver and kidneys still work.

:lol::lol:

Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 03:19 PM
I can't go back because..........

How about you?
I've met a number of ex-pats that for some reason or another are afraid to return to the U.S.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 03:34 PM
Yep, plenty of them too.

They just generally aren't as willing to talk about it:lol: And Bob, that is funny!:lol::lol::lol:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 05:28 PM

Well! I been coming down here since (fill in the blank) and have been guilty of stating that when a newby starts attempting to impress me with the fact that he went surfing way back in the 1990's--this makes me so insecure that I just have to put the twerp in his place.

One guy really peeed me off when he always started counting his time in Baja from the moment he was conceived on the beach in Punta Bandera.

He is also the same guy who would go on and on about the only Gringos who lived down here were drunks who were just waiting to die. Well, he used to be one--but he quit or so he says.

Don Alley,
Please note my status title on this board

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 08:11 PM
Why, I remember Back When....................

Yada, Yada, Yada. I'm not sure why someone would get so worked up about an awfully common social trait. Perhaps a Bamboo splinter got stuck in a tender spot and festered.

I hear people everyday say that they've lived somewhere in the U.S. or elsewhere for or since [insert date] and I've never given it any thought, negative or positive. As I said, it's a normal Human thing. I've got membership cards, including my Auto Club card that say MEMBER SINCE ......... My Bank statement says VALUED CUSTOMER SINCE ........... AND ON AND ON AND ON. I see people sport Bumper Stickers that say "Californian since [year]. I've always thought those kind of amusing since myself, both of my parents and two of my grandparents were born in Southern California, but So What ! It seems that there should be something more significant to whine about even in the Bamboo Jungle.

Speaking of Whining. I've noticed that there are a few posters who think that SOME PEOPLE are just SO mean and negative and it causes SO many HURT feelings and a deterioration in the level of social discourse. I'm surprised that anyone that tender could have survived for so many years. I surmise that most of those who feel so hurt are likely Left of Center. There seems to be something about the Lefties that just can't handle criticism. Get a grip. It reminds me of a bumper sticker and t-shirt I see now and then which says "Mean People Suck". The wearer or driver always looks like a refugee from San Francisco in the 60s. "All we are asking is give peace a chance" and other such drivel.

I'm proposing that Doug create a new category. "The Vintage Baja Whinery" so that there is a SPECIAL place for the tears in the beer crowd.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:13 PM
Who's worked up?

I just posted that to make people think. And according to your reply, it even worked on you!:lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:27 PM
Even Me ??

We may and do often disagree, but do you really believe that I don't THINK out what we discuss ?

Now I'm beginning to feel like the "Yanqui Mick". I'm Sooo disheartened by negative thoughts.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:29 PM
And I thought that was pretty funny.

Still do in fact. But, time for a root beer float. Hasta ma?ana.:lol:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:42 PM
Haven't heard this phrase much

but I think I can understand a little bit where it comes from.

Most Americans are xenophobic. The culture does not encourage them to venture forth from their neighborhood.

Going across town is horrific, venturing to another country (especially a third world one with iffy plumbing) is something that can bring on cold sweats and nightmares.

So, this is a fertile breeding ground for the pontificater; the self-anointed Baja experts who sense and zero in on a newbie and swarm in for the kill, overwhelming and overstimulating the subject with their "expertise".

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 10:49 PM

I've been going to bahaa since........well, I know all about the place anyway.

Bahaa is a cool place but did you know.....
They speak a different kind of mexican over there than on the mainland ?
There is no potable water in the whole place ?
All the people are short ?
There is no electric power anywhere ?
Bandits roam everywhere looking for gringos to rob ?
They don't have toilets down there ? (only oothouses for the Canadians)
The beer and tequila will kill you ? (that one is true !)
Real Tequila makes your skin darker ?
Cuban cigars are really made in Mexico ?
There are no fish in the sea ? (because it's too salty)
All the beds have bugs ?
Jalapeno peppers cause cancer ?
Corona uses urine for color in there beer ?
Panga is mexican for "sinking boat" ?

Ask me anything, I know all about Bahaa !!
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 10:20 AM
A thread that confirms what I've long suspected...

Baja needs new blood: young, unjaded "nomads" who can't pine for "the way it was" because they only know - and love - the way it is now.

As best I can tell, everywhere in the world used to be less crowded, less developed, less accesisble, less known, less fished & surfed and less noisy and if you want to, feel free to spend the balance of your life hiding in the next nook down hoping to go undiscovered by some offensively eager "newbie." May you and your buddies perfect the "Baja scowl."

"I've been coming here since..." Well, however long that is, congrats on still having both axles and have a wonderful rest of your trip.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 08:30 PM
just like i said before...

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin
Baja needs new blood: young, unjaded "nomads" who can't pine for "the way it was" because they only know - and love - the way it is now.

As best I can tell, everywhere in the world used to be less crowded, less developed, less accesisble, less known, less fished & surfed and less noisy and if you want to, feel free to spend the balance of your life hiding in the next nook down hoping to go undiscovered by some offensively eager "newbie." May you and your buddies perfect the "Baja scowl."

"I've been coming here since..." Well, however long that is, congrats on still having both axles and have a wonderful rest of your trip.
all those people who continually say that Baja is turning into Southern California obviously havent been in so. cal. in some time....every time i venture south of the border i am reminded of what a totally different world Baja is compared to the one i am surrounded by every day....just like the dude said there is probably no spot on earth that isnt more crowded than it used to be and there are still a ton of spots within the first few hundred miles of the peninsula that i've seen where you can feel about as far away as you want to:O
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 08:42 PM
all those people who continually say that Baja is turning into Southern California obviously havent been in so. cal. in some time....

Amen! Geez Louise. First they wanted 30 amp service for their RV's, now they don't want us to tell stories. P-nche gringos!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 11:06 AM
Amen

I hear people out here in the desert remark frequently that "It's getting as bad as L.A. out here". All it takes is a drive up to the city to know how WRONG that is.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 01:22 PM
Don Jorge

Come to think of it stories are what makes Baja--well Baja!
Didn't start with "The Journey of the Flame" by Fierro Blanco but what a wonderful place to start. Don Jimmy recommended it to me what seems like a long time ago. And then there was "Camp and Camino in Lower California: by Authur North. And...................................the list goes on with each new wave of Gringo's traveling to "The Forgotten Peninsula" by Joseph W. Krutch. I'm sure we will be reading stories by Osprey, Sparksbaja, and Mike Humpresville sooner rather than later.

Yep! It is the stories and the beers that hold it all together for us to enjoy.

Another wave--well try "The Baja Feeling" by Ben Hunter or Jimmy Smiths "The Grinning Garygole Spills the Beans"

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 09:00 PM

I don't tell anyone when I first came to Baja California unless they ask, but I think about it whenever someone mentions that everybody seems to want it to be just as it was when they first saw it.

There were two or three first-rate hotels at Cabo San Lucas when I first went there, but we were so grungy-looking they wouldn't have let us in. So we stopped at the only refreshment hut in sight and treated ourselves to some warm sodas. (They were out of warm beer.)

So color me deviant, but I like Cabo San Lucas better as it is today.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 09:54 PM
Deviants

As much as I like the solitude of remote Baja, we had a blast in Cabo San Lucas when we visited. Something different and great food! Lot's to look at too!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 10:24 PM
Longtimers vs newbies, jaded vs eyes wide

Why do people who have minimal experience try to influence others? Gee, I guess that they need the attention.

Baja was a very strange place to me (as a young American) when I first visited.

I decided to shut off my preconceptions and listen and learn and work on communicating with those who work and live in my neighborhood.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.