Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Wake up Doug Means
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 11:50 PM
Wake up Doug Means

"I've simply tried to use the Internet for benefit of Baja travelers since 1994/95."
Doug Means aka BajaNomad?

Doug?.
I hope that you keep this in the GENERAL topics so that all will read. I thought about u2u this to you, but I think all should now speak up, about the immense problems here.
The benefit is no longer for travelers here...it has become the Roman Coliseum for the warriors and beasts.

I wish to say thank you for running a forum here. That?s right off the top. I made a few friends here, gather lots of great data?. but it?s gotten to be a joke here. Flaming, trolls, threats, power playing, and plain outright chaotic behavior by some of the better-known Nomads are now the norm of the day here! It spills into all the topics?not just the off topics. I wont say names here?I don?t care anymore. And many others don?t care anymore either. I don?t see the usual gang here anymore. Rarely do I see them posting. If you ask me?I think a lot are moving to new grounds. As I am bout to.

This forum has cancer. It is dying. The postings have become null and cold. Baja Questions & Answers and General Baja Discussion does not display solid inquires or stories as it once did. Newcomers that drop in are surely in dire straights when they read here. No substance. It?s really bad!

I have been an outspoken poster at the Nomads, having no fears of debate and express my views as I see it. Yankeeirishman (me) was guilty indeed for a while?playing Viking tactics. The garbage that?s going on with the popular nomads here surpasses my coldness! They will not stop. They can?t even respect my posting, asking for peace!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=11457
Is it pride? Is it sabotage from your competitors? Or do these people just disrespect your domain here?don?t give a damn about YOUR future forum? Some of these folks are your friends? Wake up Doug.

Time to make choices, tough choices on new rules. Save your forum.

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 12:33 AM
Hang in there Yankeeirishman

You share a lot in common with me. Children, similar interests in Baja, verbally endowed. AS you have said yourself, the temperment of the forum has a negative effect on you and your posts. Thats' a drag. You must also realize that you have inadvertantly given the lions fodder. Not your intention, why would it be? You have taken a position between these guys and held up a big bullseye. That's why you feel personally hurt and insulted. DON'T! These vollies are about worn-thru. THeir messages sent LOUD & CLEAR for all of us to hear. ok. Lets get on with life Yank, not their's. Iam sure if a newbie really cared to read all this useless info he may be hindered. They will all be there tomorrow tho. Many folks are vacationong or taking a break I believe. My instinct says let it go....take a break.... you make a good addition to the Nomads. It does have good soul I believe, the Nomads Forum. Don't ply the seas with the Nomads during the recently frequent Chubascos. Stay on the dock or board at a later time:D Whatever, but how could a Irish Yank jump ship anyhoo!!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 07:09 AM

People come and go for a number of reasons. Some tire of the sometimes silly banter or the arguments that pop up. I must admit I sometimes enjoy the JR/DK go around. The list could be endless. I think some of the slowing may be that it's summer time and with kids out of school there's more to do outside of the Nomad Forum. It's not an election year so to speak so the Off Topic area is getting a little dull. If people want to move on so be it.

I say go off into Baja somewhere and find something unusual or normal even and report back here so we can discuss it.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 07:19 AM

yankeeirishman Unfortunately I think you are fighting a losing Battle here. as much as I can appreciate what you are trying to do your only poring gasoline on the fire. the best thing to do if you want these guys to stop or slowdown is to ignore there posts. just don't open or read anything they post or start new threads about there disagreement. I think if every one would leave them alone the problem would go away.

But If you check the number of reads and posters on those threads you will see that most people on the forum really like to keep tabs on this soap opera. the few good posts so far this week, yours about the GPS unit and Osprays nice post got very few reads and replies and that is a shame but I think this shoes that a lot of people enjoy the news and info here but also enjoy the drama and excitement of a conflict. I think it all has value some is entertaining and some is informative. The English speaking people of Baja ca. are a very diverse grope and so are there views and interests. and no one not you not me can change that. nor would I want to.

allot of people think the forum is going down the tubes just because a couple of people are having a disagreement and that is not true this has been going on since forever and it always will. so relax and enjoy the parts you like and don't get all stressed out or take any of this to seriously.

thanks Yankee keep up the good posts. I enjoy your writing.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 07:58 AM

Yah, you might think this was all staged 'to up the ratings'...

Fred's board has several moderators and a strict policy of what can be posted.. Thus, it is still on the Internet (it is the oldest Baja forum).

Amigos de Baja had no moderators outside the three of them (Eric, Trish, Earle) and the popularity of their site made managing it too much work, and they would rather fish...

Now Nomad is as big as Amigos was, or bigger... and Doug only had a couple of moderators to help him... Somebody whined about a negative thread being removed and now Doug is pretty much all alone trying to moderate along with supporting his big family... Unfortunately, Doug wants to please all of you and not moderate this site for fear of offending some of you. You can't please all the people all the time... This is the Internet, and what any of us post shouldn't be considered 'cast in stone'... It is electronic graffiti, that's all.

Tell Doug you want the old Nomad back, with moderators who will quickly remove personal name calling, fighting, and profanity and too bad if anyone doesn't like it!

[Edited on 7-7-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 08:21 AM

This is what appears to be the same thing that happened to The Amigo's board...I don't know what happened behind the scene there, but this is kinda like deja vu... A few rotten apples can spoil the whole basket...I say get along with each other or leave...Most of us are tired of the crap...Gary

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 08:30 AM

Almost like my Fortunate Strangers group. Interesting to see who fans the flames of discord and discontent, who keeps a distance from trouble, who holds high the flag of conciliation and/or raproachment.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-7-2005 at 08:36 AM
Hey Yankee

Maybe you should start a Poll!:lol:

Every once in a while, DK says something that rubs me the wrong way. There are also others and I'm sure not everyone enjoys what I have to say about what I see going on down here. Thus the battles.
They have been going on since long time ago. But, they are generally short lived and go away when everyone gets tired of argueing. And I'm pretty sure everyone is tired of argueing.
I also notice that when I am not posting, the arguements are still there so I guess I am not solely responsible for ruining your board.
As Bruce says, there are some strong personalities that are interested in Baja. And individuality is alive and well in these folks. Adventurers you might even say. So, conflict can be expected since there is also backbone involved.
Unlike entire groups posting anonymously so they can pretend to have some cajones!:lol:
Hang in there Dude. It'll all be over inaminit. Or, I'm sure there is a Baja "Noodle Nomad" board somewhere that everyone agrees and kisses arse to each other at every bend in the washboard.
There are even enclaves down here that specialize in that stuff. U2U for directions if you are interested:lol:
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaloco
This is what appears to be the same thing that happened to The Amigo's board...I don't know what happened behind the scene there, but this is kinda like deja vu... A few rotten apples can spoil the whole basket...I say get along with each other or leave...Most of us are tired of the crap...Gary

To really know what happened, you'd need to hear it from the Robitailles. IMO, they just never really made any money with it and got tired of all the time it was taking away from other pursuits. At the time, there was a lot of this same horsecrap going on, but there was also still a lot of valuable and enjoyable things too. I doubt that the bickering alone was enough to make the decision to pull the plug. Most websites seem to have mortal lifespans.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:32 AM

I tend to think a very few people credit themselves w/an inordinate amount of influence on the total people who view and occassionally post on this board. This is almost a tidal event and this crap ebbs and flows in volume.
Anyway, I digress, I tend to think only a very few give a crap about a few chubascos. This board is fine the way it is and these very few involved in this peeing match, speaking for myself, are largely ignored.
Maybe we should have a contest to the change labels, say from Elite or Ultra Nomad to something more appropriate like......... breeze, heavy wind, chubasco, hurricane. I'm sure many of you would be more original.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Almost like my Fortunate Strangers group. Interesting to see who fans the flames of discord and discontent, who keeps a distance from trouble, who holds high the flag of conciliation and/or raproachment.

I like to play in all the corners but I guess you have all figured that by now. If I ever put my real feelings out there Half of the people would hate me and half would like me. I want every one to like me I like everyone here on the Nomads except maybe Anon.:lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-7-2005 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:35 AM

I have been around Baja Amigos and Baja Nomad forums for just a few years. Certainly I am not a big time poster, nor do threads I start get big hits or much reply, that's o.k., evan as a minor player on this board I am grateful for the opportunity to express an opinion or tell a story when I feel the need to.

I must admit that I have never ever seen a time when someone isn't flaming, provoking or harrasing someone. I don't see it as any worse today than the first day I opened up the forum and started reading. People come and go, people complain about the personal bouts, some folks engage them, surly some feed them, lots of us ignore them. Always remembering when I enter in to the forum, that we all have the right to not open a tread or close it when we see it going no where but petty name calling. Sometimes I read the looneytoons, more often I only get thru a minumal of the a dialog that doesn't personally interest me, and put it away and go on to what does interest me; Ah them stories which are few and far between, but that's o.k. , I am grateful for them when they come along. I am also always grateful for word from home, how the weather is, learning stuff like about the Humbolt squid, great pictures, all bring me closer to what I consider my true home, B.C.S.

Again, I must reinstate that I humbly give thanks for the freedom of expression permitted on this board. Thanks Doug, for running a great board, I am happy with it just the way it is, that freedom of expression is a great gift that you give us, I would hate to see it monterated away............
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:40 AM

I have made countless Friends here and very few enemies, so there is the real value of this Forum. it is worth Gold to me.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:49 AM

That is very true Bruce, I have become truly fond of reading your posts over the last year, they bring me a smile more often than not, thanks for always putting the "good word" forward, Sara
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
That is very true Bruce, I have become truly fond of reading your posts over the last year, they bring me a smile more often than not, thanks for always putting the "good word" forward, Sara

that is what I'm talking about. you have made my day. friendship is truly priceless.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 11:13 AM
now we're gettin' soapy

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

that is what I'm talking about. you have made my day. friendship is truly priceless.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

It's the ying for the yang. thanx. CK
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 12:33 PM

It's just not reasonable to expect a diverse group of humans to act the same way or agree to a certain code of conduct, particularly when the form of their communications -- the internet -- insulates them from face to face interaction and any effective form of discipline. Hell, if this were a high school instead of an electronic forum, you still couldn't do it (even the Army can't completely squelch diversity and controversy -- ever read Stars & Stripes?).

People are different, express themselves differently, and, like it or not, vary widely in terms of what they view as acceptable behavior, language, and levels of aggression. It's part of what makes all of us, and this board, interesting. Baja is not a flat, featureless plain, and I don't expect a communications forum for those who enjoy it to be one either.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 12:49 PM
Good Post

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
It's just not reasonable to expect a diverse group of humans to act the same way or agree to a certain code of conduct, particularly when the form of their communications -- the internet -- insulates them from face to face interaction and any effective form of discipline. Hell, if this were a high school instead of an electronic forum, you still couldn't do it (even the Army can't completely squelch diversity and controversy -- ever read Stars & Stripes?).

People are different, express themselves differently, and, like it or not, vary widely in terms of what they view as acceptable behavior, language, and levels of aggression. It's part of what makes all of us, and this board, interesting. Baja is not a flat, featureless plain, and I don't expect a communications forum for those who enjoy it to be one either.

Pretty obvious for some of us, but alas, some haven't learned the finer art of cyber-communication.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PacO
I tend to think a very few people credit themselves w/an inordinate amount of influence on the total people who view and occassionally post on this board. This is almost a tidal event and this crap ebbs and flows in volume.
Anyway, I digress, I tend to think only a very few give a crap about a few chubascos. This board is fine the way it is and these very few involved in this peeing match, speaking for myself, are largely ignored.

PacO, Very well said and I agree!

The way Doug is dealing with the personalities on this board is a very mature and understanding approach to handling a diverse bunch of independent thinkers (?)

Quote by David K

"Tell Doug you want the old Nomad back, with moderators who will quickly remove personal name calling, fighting, and profanity and too bad if anyone doesn't like it!"

I do not believe that any of us should be telling Mr. Means how to run HIS board. I certainly do not feel that as adults we need a few chosen ones to censor our posts. If we can't realize what a fun playpen Doug has provided and act accordingly then Doug should just make the offender to 'go away'--but that should be his sole decision.
Hope the hell he does not decide to make me go away because I truly enjoy the learning that goes along with the give and take on this board AND as someone keeps saying I would just have to 'get a life.'

Let's 'all' make life a little easier for Doug and more fun for each other.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 05:09 PM

Shark, Dan O. and Bruce, Hear hear! Well said!

Now confess Bruce:......Do you? or do you not? have a "spelling ringer" come in for you on occasion? Not puting you down, REALLY, I like your posts just as they are, it just seems that some days you have 'ol Noah in you pocket and somedays you don't. As I fellow rotten speller I feel a need to find out your tricks! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.