Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Toy
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 10:28 AM
New Toy

I was thrilled to play around with maps.google. Today I downloaded earth.google .... a whole new world! I wont consider this to be a tool, but an incredible new toy!

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 10:36 AM

Tell us about it Tucker, what does it do?
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 10:41 AM
To much for me to explain

Go to the website: http://earth.google.com

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 10:46 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out.....I love new "toys"
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 11:35 AM

Maybe someone can tell me what I see at 26 Degrees 05' N and 111 Degrees 44' W ????????
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 04:05 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Tucker. When I tried to get it a while back they had the download closed. Can zoom in to some pretty good detail from the little test I gave it. A "Must have" for my computer "Toy box"

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 08:28 PM

Spent a little more time with it and can tell you some of the stuff is pretty up-to-date. My place shows a trailer that I moved in Jan in it's new spot.

Some is pretty ole also. Where I am in the US right now the buildings must be 10-29 years old and google shows nothing here.

But all in all, I like it.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 03:05 PM

Hey Tucker,thanks !! Fun site,but European ones are ,let's say, misty.:(:(:(:(
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 10:27 PM

That is super cool!!! The parts of CA I looked at where hazy. But some places in OH were very detailed. Great views of the coast also, which is great for boaters.

You have to play with the tilt also. That's coolest when looking at a mountainoues coast line.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 07:42 AM
I had a hard time reducing this,

but it's a good example of what can be done (Grand Canyon, Yavapai Point)

[Edited on 7-10-2005 by Tucker]

mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 07:50 AM
thanks tucker

thanks for the heads up on the map site, pretty amazing, i guess big brother is watching ?

Want what you have
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 12:12 PM
Best damn toy find, I agree

Not sure why I even have to drive anywhere, anymore. This mapping device is awesome! I followed some of my old past travels to the backwoods?and sure enough?I was able to ?see? everything.

So now I just did a route that I have never been to (upper Bridgeport, ?loop trail?) and seen exactly what I am up against. Whoa! Thanks for this great link you entered here!

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 03:11 PM

Someone else originally posted the link here a few weeks ago, but at that time no downloads were available. I just re-posted when they became available.

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-12-2005 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tucker
Someone else originally posted the link here a few weeks ago, but at that time no downloads were available. I just re-posted when they became available.

That was me, but I found it via another forum I visit, TTORA.com (aka tacomaterritory.com). If you dirive a Toyota Tacoma, check it out

I will have to try it out on my home computer...no downloads allowed at work :(.
Thanks for letting us know it up and running again.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 03:41 PM
Another new toy

Microsoft launches its own version.....

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Microsoft+launches+'Virtual+Earth'+beta/2100-1038_3-5803211.html?part=msn-cnet&tag=msn_home&subj=ns_5803211

Quote:
Last modified: July 25, 2005, 9:07 AM PDT
By Dinesh C. Sharma
Special to CNET News.com

Microsoft has unveiled a test version of a new location-based search tool, the software giant said Monday.

Virtual Earth--which offers a combination of aerial imagery, maps and yellow-pages data--is designed to let users search for and share information about specific U.S. locations, the company said.

For example, a searcher can enter an address and see a map, an aerial photograph or an aerial photo overlaid with highway labels. A search field on the upper left lets the user retrieve information on businesses and other sites, which the tool displays in a collapsible pane. Virtual Earth relies on licensed yellow-pages directories for this information, Microsoft said.
Additionally, a "scratch pad" features lets people save addresses that they've searched for.

The service, which Microsoft announced in May, is free. It's designed to interact with other Microsoft tools, including MapPoint, the local features of MSN Search, and aerial imagery from TerraServer-USA, the software giant said.

Virtual Earth also includes a feature called "Locate Me" that determines the user's location using Wi-Fi access points or Internet Protocol address geocoding. The information is then presented in the form of a map with the user's location highlighted.

The tool also offers features for e-mailing search results, bookmarking them or posting them on a blog. People can zoom in or pan the aerial pictures via a virtual compass.

"When you're in an unfamiliar city and need to find a nearby Chinese restaurant or ATM within walking distance of your hotel, a traditional Internet search experience won't give you the visual location-specific information you need," Stephen Lawler, general manager of Virtual Earth, said in a statement. "MSN Virtual Earth provides a deeply immersive search experience that lets people see what it's like to be in a location and easily explore what they can do there."

In the next beta version of the tool, slated for release later this year, the company plans to add bird's-eye-view imagery depicting cities, landmarks and other sites at a 45-degree angle. The feature will rely on technology from Pictometry International.

Mapping services based on satellite imagery have been catching the attention of search companies lately.

A service announced by Google recently already incorporates a feature that allows people to see buildings and terrains in three-dimension.

[Edited on 7-26-2005 by Taco de Baja]
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 04:47 PM

Try this!

http://virtualearth.msn.com/

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 05:14 PM

Not too bad. Has some later photos that the Google one but I suppose it's only some of the areas. Will play with it some more when I have a faster connect.

But thanks for the link

No Bad Days

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.