Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Favorite Camaron Recipe
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 12:05 AM
Favorite Camaron Recipe

A part of the Baja experience I always look forward to every time I visit is the wonderful shrimp. The day starts early in Mulege as the pangueros unload their early morning catch. I always look forward to the young Mexicano walking aside the river in Mulege dealing the days catch. Sometimes we get the big juicy scallops or the lobster if we are so lucky. But the real treasure are the large gulf prawns that he almost always has. This usually gives me all day to think of a groovy way to serve em up. So many ways, so few days. What's your favorite dish? Here's is great summer special I sometimes do at the restaurant.
---------------------------
Shrimp Scampi Ceasar Salad

for each plate:

6-8 oz peeled, deveined prawns (smaller the better)
2 oz white wine
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon butter
1 oz clam juice or water(optional)

small head of romaine chopped 1"pieces(green leaf will work)
handful good croutons
handful shredded parmesan
3 tbs ceasar dressing (or try your own)
--------------------------------------
In large bowl combine:

lettuce chopped 1" pieces
dressing
croutons
parmesan

blend easy, keep chilled
----------------------
meanwhile:

sautee prawns with garlic, wine and butter just till white.

----------------------
Mound salad and arrange prawns on top. Spoon hot remaining liquid over same, serve immediately.
Garnish with a tomato man and cracked pepper.
YUM!

[Edited on 7-8-2005 by Sharksbaja]
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 06:47 AM

Sounds fabulous!!
We have been limiting our consumption of these scrumptious morsels ... heard some horror stories about how the shrimping is destroying the ocean bottom. Can anyone enlighten or tell me it is lies!!!! Has anyone been on these shrimping boats??
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 07:39 AM
Tacos

Just give me a taco de camaron any day. Camarones empanizados, por favor. A good dollop of salsa fresca, a squirt of crema, a flour tortilla and I am in heaven.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 10:25 AM
Marie

The shrimpers are still out there but Mexico is also setting up commercial farms everywhere. Check out my Shrimp Shanghai story at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum for a little more info.

I have also heard of more farms being set up since being shanghaid to that one.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 10:44 AM
I think it would be hard....

....to NOT get a farmed shrimp in the US these days, if that's where you are. Mostly from the Far East.

My favorite recipe for eating them individually is a recipe I don't have anymore. But it involved marinading them in a kahlua/brown sugar concoction. Maybe some vodka, too, no me acuerdo. ........some form of camarones borrachos.

It was cooked on the barbie.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marie-Rose
Sounds fabulous!!
We have been limiting our consumption of these scrumptious morsels ... heard some horror stories about how the shrimping is destroying the ocean bottom. Can anyone enlighten or tell me it is lies!!!! Has anyone been on these shrimping boats??

Here's some information I have come up with...there is no question that shrimp trawling is extremely destructive.

Prawn trawlers catch 10-20 kg of marine species to obtain just 1 kg of prawns in the tropics. This non-target ?bycatch? is usually discarded, dead or dying, overboard.
-
Prawn fisheries alone are responsible for one third of the world?s discarded catch, despite producing less than 2 percent of global seafood.

Local fish stocks and fishing grounds are heavily impacted, and catches have declined sharply in areas where trawlers operate.

150,000 sea turtles are killed by prawn trawlers every year. Prawn trawling is also thought to be the greatest threat to seahorses.

Research has shown that up to 25 percent of seabed life can be removed by the pass of just one prawn trawl.

Farming is also destructive. Mangroves are replaced with the shrimp farms which ultimately destroys fisheries and coral reefs...fry need the mangrove to avoid predators, and mangroves stop siltation that destroys the coral reefs...

This is an oversimplification, of course, and fails to account for small shrimpers and the few farms that have are environmentally sound. Check the Monterey Bay Aquarium website for more information as a start.

That being said...my favorite foods in this world are dungeness or blue crab, shrimp, and scallops. I'm careful who I buy from, and question how the food has been harvested. I can get trap caught prawns or diver caught scallops. They cost more...but the overall environmental cost of not doing it is greater to me.

Recipes for camarones? I have hundreds! When sauteeing with garlic...here's a trick...finely chop garlic and slowly cook in a saucepan with oil. When the garlic is just golden, strain it out. Cook the shrimp in the oil and add the garlic at the end when serving...keeps it from getting too dark and bitter. When cooking the shrimp, I also toss in a fair amount of large salt crystals and slices of guajillo chile. Then at the end with the garlic, I squeeze in some lime juice. These are great when you cook the shrimp in the shells...but, it works unshelled as well.

More than you ever wanted to know!!!!!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 12:47 PM

In the US, turtle-safe nets have been required for many years.
They don't totally stop the problem, but they sure help.
I don't believe any such rule was ever enforced in Mexico.

A buddy of mine owns part of a shrimp boat that fishes the east coast of Florida and the inner Gulf area. Get the really big ones and marinate as follows;

1 part Yoshida Gourmet Sauce
1/4 part brown sugar
1 part BBQ sauce
1 part Pacifico (must be Pacifico)
(Some like to add a shot of Jack or tequila)

Throw them on a hot barbie, baste once and turn once.
See if they all get to the table !!
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 01:35 PM

Diver, I have been on the hunt for Yoshida and can't seen to find it! Will you please give me your resource??!! Can't seem to cook a lot of things without it.It just has that special "thing".As soon as you tell me, I'm going to try your recipe,sounds great:tumble: Thanks, Sally
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 01:59 PM
Seems like Yoshida

is always at the Costcos I frequent.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 01:59 PM

What IS Yoshida Gourmet Sauce?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 02:51 PM

When I was young, like over 40 years ago, my parents had a place in Guaymas and I made friends with several of the shrimpers. Dad encouraged me to go out and trade anything for shrimp. Of course they were not allowed to sell shrimp and everything was tightly controlled but as we became friends, we always ended up with enough shrimp to take care of our needs. One day the captain indicated that they were going out for a 5-6 day run and asked if I would like to go along. It took me awhile to convince my parents that I would be ok and that they weren't going to shanghai me and sell me into white slavery.
What an experience. First of all, the nets (big purse seines) are put out at night and and drug until they are full of whatever. You can tell this because the diesel motor starts bellowing and smoking and sounding like the whole thing is going to blow up. So then they finally slow down and start hauling up these massive round nets with the winch. By this time everyone is clothed in fishermans boots, rubber coats, and rubber bib overalls. When the purse is opened the entire contents spill out on the deck. Now hopefully there is enough shrimp to make the haul worthwhile but guess what, everything else that got in the mouth of this large net with chains and weights on the bottom and floats on the top is there also. This includes fish that are both immature and juvenille, coral and bottom life, sea urchins by the millions, seahorses and clams, and just about anything else one could imagine. Oh yeah, even trash like old tires and other assorted junk. Now if it has a use, like the fish which have some market value or sea horses that can be dried and sold, it goes somewhere on the boat, but if it has no use, like the baby fish and other things of no value like porcupine fish then it gets shoveled back over the side. The birds who are always close by, love this shoveling over of by-product and go on a feeding frenzy for the things that are edible.
The shrimp and other edible things are cleaned and then put in the ice hold for market.
Now here is the interesting part. Since this was fourty years or maybe a little more, there should have been amazing amounts of shrimp, but to fill a large box which would probably hold 100 kilos, I estimate that we put at least 4 maybe 5 boxes of kill back over the side. I say kill because none of the fish survive and probably very little of the other life survives at all.
So this is the picture I have in my mind when I hear someone who has chosen to be a vegetarian because they can't stand to see animals suffer but they occasionaly indulge in a Shrimp stir fry or something that seems more honorable than those who choose to eat a rare beef steak.
So I guess it boils down to a marketing image. Lots of stuff died to make that one small plate of shrimp primavera but it sure is "cooler" to eat that instead of a piece of cow.
Now, having visited a couple of shrimp farms and watched the operation there, I find that it is not really much different than the chicken operation where they force feed genetically engineered birds to grow as cheaply and quickly as possible.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 02:59 PM

I too like 'em bbq'd. Will try your recipe Diver.

Many modern fishing fleets, especially in Europe, use Bycatch Exclusion Devices (BED's) which reduce the bycatch very significantly.

As more and more shrimp is farm raised a speciality market demand for "free range" shrimp caught "eco-friendly" will develop.
Fishing is like farming, nothing better than a niche in a niche.
Outfit a few Mexican boats with modern BED nets and co-op the catch to market in New York under a savvy, hip label and you have stepped outside the box.
One things for sure, the only shrimp I eat I know from whose trawl it came.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 04:08 PM

You mean that you wouldnt eat shrimp caught on something like this boat?

My favorite recipe:

Peal and devein the shrimp leaving the tails on(about 1lb)

Mix 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup softened butter(or equal amounts to make however much you need)

Add as much garlic as you want, coursely chopped, mix well.

Skewer the shrimp and marinade in the above in the refrigerator for as long as an hour, but nut much more than that, turning several times to be sure that each shrimp is coated.

Broil or BBQ them

Putting them in the refrigerator makes the marinade cling to the shrimp and gives them a wonderful garlic flavor.

Provecha

[Edited on 7-9-2005 by bajajudy]

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 04:13 PM
Best shrimp I ever had

was blue shrimp from Puerto Pe?asco. Probably around 12" long. Barbequed on the grill with fresh asparagus. Second best was part of my pay from the shrimp shanghai. Farm raised shrimp is just as sweet as any I have ever had.:bounce:
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 04:56 PM
shrimp shanghai

Great story JR. Is that shrimp operation still there??
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 05:20 PM
Don't know.

Haven't been there since. But, if yer planning on going, I would suggest some really good suspension!:light:
pokey
Nomad

Mood: sun burned

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
First of all, the nets (big purse seines) are put out at night and and drug until they are full of whatever.

In the interest of accuracy I'd like to mention that , today, most of the commercially harvested wild shrimp is trawl or drag caught.

The last thing the fishing industry needs is a bunch of well intentioned people complaining about the "by catch of shrimp purse seiners". lol

Keep Mexico weird
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 06:35 PM

I get my Yoshida's at Costco.
They have gourmet sauce and teriaki sauce.
Gourmet is sweeter, mmmmmmm.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 07:00 PM
JR , IMPORTANT!

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum for a little more info.

JR, I get an intruder alert on the link to Shrimp Shanghai. Be careful:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 07:06 PM
I don't get that when I go in.

What exactly does it mean? And where does this intruder come from?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.