Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Favorite Camaron Recipe
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 07:10 PM
Santa Barbara Spot Prawns

Leave shell intact, split lengthwise, season with salt, pepper, olive oil, chopped garlic and red pepper flakes, grill a minute or two each side, garnish with parsley, and serve with a chilled dry riesling or torrentes. If you have little kids, make a big deal out of eating the eyes.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 07:14 PM
I'm afraid I'm a 'KISS' kinda guy when it comes to gnawing on shrimp...

...shrimp saut?ed in lots of tasty sauces are OK once in a while...but I prefer the simple treatment:

Toss some fresh shrimp in a large pot of boiling water (add some spices if you wish)...

when cooked (doesn't take long!) toss em' in a bowl of iced water to halt farther cooking, and to begin the cooling down process...

let em' stay till icy chilled clear through...

toss em' on a bed of cracked ice on a large plater...

peal and eat em' with some lime juice, your favorite hot sauce, AND most important - Icy cold Pacifico cerveza thats been soaking in and ice filled bucket!

Now that's the way to enjoy shrimp!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 07:22 PM
JR

Jr, hang in there i's raining like crazy and it sometimes goofs up the broadband out here in the country.
The virus software I use will not let me open the link to your Shrimp Shanghai pics and story. The message says "http cookie monser" and I imagine that whoever opens your story might get something downloaded to their computer possibly by way of installing a new cookie on the users computer. It says "medium" risk. I will have to find out more.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 07:38 PM

Shrimp......YUM! For those of you Washington State people that may remember the "Sea Galley" in Port Townsand.....and remember the great shrimp, I have the secret WHAT'S MY BID? :lol::lol::lol: Just kidding, I'm bringing the "recipe" to the Festival.....if I can find shrimp, I will share!

Now, may I suggest Doug, that this be moved to the recipe board so that none of these great ideas get lost? Thanks.....
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 07:45 PM
oops...

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
Shrimp......YUM!
Now, may I suggest Doug, that this be moved to the recipe board so that none of these great ideas get lost? Thanks.....

you are right, thanks Debra. I do have couple more I could share. My all time favorite shrimp are the large spot prawns that DanO mentioned. They have more the flavor of spiney lobsters only better.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 08:22 PM

I wonder if that is the same thing they call "rock shrimp" in Florida.
They are like huge crawdads or small clawless lobster. Very sweet meat !

They have enough flavor to enjoy with no seasoning or just a little hot sauce.

They are also awsome in a fra-diavolo sauce with clams and mussels and calamari and.....I think I'll sign off for a brief food orgasm now..
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 08:26 PM

BRING 'EM ON SHARKS!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 06:46 AM

Mexray
I am with you on the simple part but I use beer to steam mine in and a little bay seasoning. Dont worry, I dont waste a Pacifico on them...usually some off brand that has gotten left here after a gathering...i e modelo

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 10:17 AM

My favorite recipe to to boil jumbo shrimp for about 30-60 sec depending on size and amount. Then peel and take the vein out.

Melt butter in a pan and add shrimp. squeeze limes on them or lemons if limes not available. Sprinkle garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Add a little white wine and cover pan. Cook about 1 minute on low or a little hotter heat and turn over for another minute.

Remove and eat.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 12:23 PM
Peel & Eat Tiger Shrimp

Here at the restaurant we call em "peel & eat Tiger Prawns"

Boil one gallon of water with a large handful pickling spice, strain and return water to pot. Add an ample amount of deheaded(preferred) shrimp. Boil only 3 min. Drain, immediately place on bed of crushed ice. Serve with c-cktail sauce.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 12:56 PM

try this one boil headless shrimp in sea water with a hand full of caraway
seed chill fast in crushed ice
serve with real butter and a little lemon or lime
or a great c-cktail sause
i cup of catchup
2 tbs or so of horseradish
1tbs limon or lime
2 tbs wishteshire sause
garlic powder and hot sause to tast mix it well and chill for an hour

jerry and judi
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 01:45 PM
Is it just me?

The shrimp I get both in Baja and Sonora taste just fine boiled or barbecued whether farm raised or natural with nuthin! A little drawn butter and limon doesn't hurt but by no means mandatory.:?:

[Edited on 7/9/2005 by jrbaja]
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 08:56 PM
BajaJudy...

...all this cooking of shrimp reminds me of my first trip to New Orleans, many moons ago, in the mid-70's as I recall.

I was on a business trip and the customer I was calling on, treated me to a wonderful meal at a place on Rue Bourbon...I have to inject here that life can't be much better than when dining in a small bistro in New Orleans!!!...sorry, not even Baja!

Anyway, I had a plate of some local crabs. I told of our wonderful Dungeness Crab and Sourdough Bread back in San Francisco, my home port. I asked my host how the local crabs were prepared, and in that great New Orleans dialect, he told me the secret was in the 'Crab Oil'...??? Now, not wanting to be shown as a 'rube' or the like, I nodded and said, "I see..." (yeah right - Who ever heard of Crab Oil?)I had this vision in my mind's eye, of squeezing a bunch of crabs the get the 'oil' for the flavoring!!!

Well, I promised to pick up some of that 'Crab Oil' before leaving town, in order to mix up a batch back home. I walked into a small grocery store and after an unsuccessful search, asked the clerk if they stocked 'Crab Oil'...'Right over there, sonny", she told me, and sure enough, in a bright yellow box, with a tin removable lid,, right on the middle shelf stood the CRAB BOIL....!!! It was a delightful mixture of leaves, spices, oak moss, or who knows what - but it sure spiced up the 'Boil' when you tossed your shell fish in the pot!

You got to have some CRAB BOIL when you get to New Orleans!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 03:00 PM
Broiled coconut prawns

Butterfly headless large prawns(cut length-wise up belly and splay open. Arrange on broiler sheet meat side up. Mix 1/2 stick melted butter with 6 cloves minced garlic and baste shrimp liberally. Lightly sprinkle shredded coconut over all. Broil for 5 mins 8" below heat or until shells are bright red.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 05:38 PM

I think I'm sensing a common thread here, ..........

and it's GARLIC! You can't cook without that magical bulb!!!

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by turtleandtoad
I think I'm sensing a common thread here, ..........

and it's GARLIC! You can't cook without that magical bulb!!!

Aside from salads, all my seafood recipes include garlic:o:biggrin:
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 03:34 PM
Let's talk......Taco!

Any one here have a good Fish (or Shrimp) Taco recipe?

And.......the $64.00 question......who came up with the idea of a fish taco?

Since we're all here in the kitchen talking..........

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 05:48 PM

How one cooks the fish for Tacos de Pescado is up to personal preference. It can be batter dipped or breaded and fried; or it can be grilled. But, for classic fish tacos I generally use the following method...

Rich's Classic Fish Taco

2 pounds - red snapper fillets
1 dozen - corn tortillas
beer batter as needed (recipe for Rich's beer batter follows)

Cut fish fillets into approx. 2 - 3 ounce portions. Dust lightly with flour and dip in beer batter. Deep fry the batter coated fish in hot oil (375 degrees F) until crisp and golden brown. Serve the fish wrapped in folded corn tortillas (warmed on a hot comal as needed) with shredded cabbage, white sauce, and aditional garnish of tomato, avocado, and shredded cheese as desired and top with a wedge of lime. Corn tortillas are traditional for fish tacos, but small "fajita" size flour tortillas can be substituted if desired...and, while a half 'n half yogurt and mayonnaise white sauce is traditionally served with fish tacos, other salsas such as salsa fresca or salsa verde can be offered as well for those who might prefer. I like my white sauce spiced and a little bit more like a tartar sauce...
Rich's Spiced Yogurt 'n Mayo White Sauce
Habanero chile will add a respectable level of heat to this white sauce. Other fresh chiles can be substituted if less heat is desired. The consistency of the sauce should be slightly runny so it can be spooned onto or stored in a squeeze bottle to be drizzled onto the fish tacos to individual discretion.

1.0 - habanero chile
0.5 cup - plain, unflavored yogurt
0.5 cup - mayonnaise
1.0 teaspoon - capers
0.5 teaspoon - crushed Mexican oregano
0.5 teaspoon - ground cumin
0.5 teaspoon - dried, crushed dill
0.25 teaspoon - ground cayenne chile
fresh lime juice as needed
ground white pepper to taste

Mix yogurt and mayonnaise in a bowl. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until a slightly runny consistency is acheived. Finely dice the habanero chile and capers and add to the yogurt/mayo mix. Blend in the spices, cayenne, fresh dill and then add white pepper to taste. If the sauce is too thick, add a little fresh lime juice until consistency is correct.

Rich's Better Beer Batter

(Makes about 2 cups)

1 - egg
1 cup - flour
1 cup - beer or ale
2 teaspoons - cornstarch
1 teaspoon - baking powder
1/2 teaspoon - salt

Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt together. Blend the egg and beer and quickly stir into the flour mixture. Don't worry about a few lumps. Use as a batter for making batter fried fish and onion rings. Or, use as a tempura batter for vegetables, shrimp, or other seafood.

This guy had his first one in San Felipe

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 06:59 PM
Funny you mention that...

I employ dos Mexicanos y una Guatamalan, none of which can stand a fish taco!:lol: Must be a mainland thing.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 07:37 PM
fish tacos product of Newport, OR?

Thanks for that tasty recipe. All is welcomed to my home tomorrow night for free tacos n beer.

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.