Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SQ trip report
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 01:10 PM
SQ trip report

September 24th we all arrived at our meeting place in El Cajon to park our cars and get the trip started. It was an easy drive to the Tijuana border on 125 south to 805 even at 5:30 pm. We crossed the border and continued to the toll road. The tolls were $2.15 each and there were three. Arriving in Ensenada we stopped at the fish market to look for some fresh dead squid to purchase (white sea bass bait) but didn?t find any.
Back into the car to find the sub agency for a couple cases of Pacificos. Continuing down HWY 1 we passed the military check point with a waive to the soldiers. Traffic was light going to San Quintin and the road was in good shape. We stopped for tacos at tacos poblanos taco stand on the west side of the road in SQ. The tacos were very ,very delicious. I had the tripas mixed with carne asada in a flour tortilla. Tacos were 9 pesos and it was open at 10:00 pm.
We arrived at the old mill around 10:30 pm and it was quiet nobody up. We found our room number on a note tapped to the office door. Rooms were nice and clean 4 single beds and a huge bathroom. Best part was they have rod holders in the room. Room rate was $60 a night for 4 people. However it was not bed time yet we still had to get our rods ready for the early departure fishing trip the following day. Finally, work done and a few beers later it was time to hit the sack.
6:00am Thursday September 25th we walked around the back of the hotel to Pedro?s pangas to meet up with Pete. We loaded our gear on the Romey a nice boat with a single diesel engine. The price was $285 plus $35 fuel surcharge if we wanted to chase tuna. We made bait very easy maybe 15 minutes max we had a tank full of mackerel.. We went out looking for yellowfin tuna that were all around just a week before our arrival. Unfortunately all we found outside was skipjack and lots of them. The seas were rough and it was windy. We all were pretty much cold and wet after only a half day of fishing. We decided to go fish the inside for some lings. We caught nice size ling cod from 8-12 lbs. They were eating the mackerel very good. We were back at the old mill around 3:30. After having a few cervezas on the nice wooden tables outside the room we showered for dinner. We were told of a nice restaurant 2 miles from the old mill named Jardinas. This restaurant was in the middle of a beautiful garden. The surroundings were very nice. They cooked our ling cod for $5 a plate 3 different ways veracruz ,empanizado and almojo de ajo. Also,included were vegetables , rice and a baked potato. I highly recommend this restaurant. Ask Jim at the old mill for your free margarita coupons.
6:00am Friday September 26th we were back on the Romey for day 2. The seas were much better today but we reversed our fishing today. First we went for the ling cod and then the tuna. The ling cod were biting good and we had a half dozen already so we decided to go after other fish. We trolled small cd 14 rapalas near San Martin island for multiple hook ups on big bonita.. After yanking on a dozen of these fine fighters we all agreed to go out side and look around. We put the trolling feathers( purple/black and Mexican flags) in after arriving on the tuna grounds and were almost instantly hooked up with more skip jack. Skip jack after skip jack were caught and released. We did manage to get 2 yellowfin tuna small ones about 15 lbs. Same routine as the day before. A few beers, a shower and time for dinner. Tonight we went to cielito lindo for clams and crab claws. Dinner was good and it was time to check out the wet buzzard we heard about. We saw the sign for $1 pacifico drafts and couldn?t resist. We tried to order the pacifico?s but they only had tecate draft beer. It was very good nice and cold and only $5 a pitcher. After closing the buzzard down it was back to the old mill for bed.
8:30am Saturday September 30th (it felt good to sleep in) we went to have breakfast at Viejo San Quintin. Breakfast was very good and inexpensive. Now it was time to head north back to the states. We were stopped at the military check point and they went through some of our things but the inspection only took about 10 minutes. Arriving in Ensenada we were detoured all around town because for the Rosarito Ensenada bicycle ride. We did manage to find our way back to the toll road and all was good.. We went through La Gloria to cross at the Otay Mesa border. The line was not long but the forward progress was very slow. 1 ? hours to cross. We had another good trip to Baja and more pictures and memories to share.
Paul Lopez Rudy Lopez
John Ryan Roy Erlandson

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 01:41 PM
FISH REPORT

tunaeater,

thanks for the fish report, really enjoyed it.
Will use the info on my way to Loreto this month........Gracias.....

George
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 01:47 PM

Great trip report. I love ling cod especially a mojo de ajo. Thanks for taking the time to go into such details. I will have to check out Jardins. It's always nice to mix it up and not always eat at the same places.

How big was that boat that you got 4 people on it? $285 is not bad if you can split it 4 ways.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 02:02 PM

Nice report

How hard was the last couple of hours driving in the dark?

We never go farther than Ensanada.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 02:14 PM
BOB & SUSAN

Hola! how you two doing? We're getting ready to head to Loreto, about mid month.
Be there through May, gonna be in Baja
during that time? Look us up, be staying at 24 Calle Davis, corner of Benito Juarez.
Hauling our 19 ft Dusky, come down and catch some fish..............

George & Deborah
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 04:24 PM
SQ

The boat was a 25ft center console and was roomy enough for 4 people. It was a little narrow on the port side because of the rod holders agaisnt the center console.
The last couple hours driving at night were fine. Traffic was light and we took it easy 45-50 mph....Paul
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 05:12 PM

25' is nice. thanks for the update.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 06:26 PM

Mike

We will be there the weekend of the 10th just for a couple of days...beer time?

George

In November we are down for a week to install some fence and will drive to Loreto. I'll keep in touch.

:spingrin::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 06:33 PM

That sounds like a really nice trip. It makes me jealous that I am not closer to the border.

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 08:53 PM

Paul,
I really like your narrative about the trip to San Quintin. The fishing sounds pretty good, and I like the idea of having that restaurant cook the fish up in three different dishes. Wow. It's in the middle of a beautiful garden, too. I have never been there, but, I have stayed at the Old Mill before with its lovely lagoon presenting a picturesque view from inside the courtyard. That is so true about those nice wooden benches and tables. Each room has a little sitting spot where you can relax out doors and gaze at the horizon. It's peaceful there. Glad you had a good time as usual in Baja.
Love,
Aunt Kris
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 03:35 AM
BOB & SUSAN

We'll be at 24 Calle Davis, keep the address handy. Make sure you visit when you're in Loreto.....

We'll have internet service as soon as we get there, will stay in touch...Heading out in about two weeks....

George & Deborah

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.