Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bad Habits, Part 2
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 08:22 PM
Bad Habits, Part 2

After his friends had left he continued sitting on his balcony nightly after dark, drinking heavily and watching the dark sea, the small swells that reached the south end. Nightly the unlighted boat worked south, not always visible based on the configuration of the moon. It worked north two hours later. On a night with a partial moon he sat and listened for the sound of the outboard motor late into the evening but it was not there.

He poured a final rum, grabbed his book, went to bed to read. His mind listened for the motor on the boat but never heard it.

Somewhere in the night something woke him. He stood naked on the balcony and scanned the ocean below; could see nothing. He heard sounds from the north, a brief scraping, a boat pulled onto a sandy beach? Couldn?t be certain. Then he heard hushed voices and saw shadows of men moving formless packages from a small boat to a truck backed down to the shoreline. There were no lights on the boat or the truck and the moon was partial and the entire scene was almost invisible, but his mind was set and he knew what was happening.

The events were beyond his control and outside his ability to offer influence and what did he care anyway. He was going back to bed, hit the john before to check his urine, growing darker daily, and heard a second, larger outboard on the ocean.

Back on his balcony he spotted a second boat arriving. Its reflection was thrown by the partial moon. The offloading boat on the shoreline was oblivious of the new arrival, they were apparently focused and intense only on their own activities.

Suddenly he saw several flashes from the incoming boat, heard several seconds later the pop pop pop?s. Gunfire?
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 08:39 PM

Hey Mike! Don't leave us hanging like that! :( :(
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 08:50 PM
Mike

You are writing about things that I did not talk about when they occurred on the beach in La Salina. Just cover your head and think good thoughts and come out in the morning. The alternative just does not work.

And drink water!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 09:32 PM

Thats the Writing thats been missing here!! Waiting with "baited breath" so to speak!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 10:33 PM

Mike is in Baja with limited internet access....He should be home in a few days (or maybe they did get home?).......still, I think it's very unfair of him to leave us all hanging. :biggrin:
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 10:55 PM

I so agree with you Debra! Can't wait(guess we have to) for the next part! Hope all is well with you ....Sal
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-14-2005 at 06:58 AM

every one remember that when you are posting your stores. it is better to Wait to finish your story and then post all of it . that way your trusted readers get the full effect of your story and are not mad at you for leaving you hanging. :bounce:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 7-14-2005 at 07:10 AM

I think that Mike just left us with a "cliff hanger" I'm not mad about it. Why is anyone else? Just typical of a good writer. Brings 'em back, huh Miike???
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2005 at 08:17 AM

no one is mad at mike Phil we are only commenting that the cliff hanger or soap opera stile of writing may not be the best way to post on a forum where two thirds of the people only sign in once a month or less. according to Doug most posts are read from the archives and when you write a two three or even more part story it is difficult sometimes to locate all of it.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2005 at 09:55 AM

I?m not trying to keep anyone waiting. We?re in Ensenada and the keyboard I?m using is bad and I?m writing small parts of the story when I have the time. This is a very negative story and a difficult one to write.

Thanks for reading. ?We should be back to Ventura late tonight so I?ll hope to be on a roll within the next day or two.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2005 at 10:43 AM

be careful on the rode Mike. cant wait to here the end of the story.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2005 at 01:55 PM

I kinda like the suspence! It keeps me comin back for more!!Even if it is a tough one to write, you are giving us a story that no one else can deliver like you can Mike! Thanks, Sally
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 07:56 AM
Love it Mike.

Cant wait for the next installment :tumble:,k

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 08:10 AM

Write it however you want; just so you keep writing !

My only complaint is that you don't write more and faster.
Hey, how about a book ? I don't know if you've ever considered it for something to do in your retirement but you've got what it takes !

A thought; any chance you have kept your past tales and could compile them for publication in some form ? I for one, and I'm sure there are others, would love to be able to read all your past posts.
We got any internet publishers out there ?

Thanks Mike,
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 09:21 AM

Diver, Mike's stories are on Fred's board......

Look at the bottem of the index page "Baja with Mike"
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 09:31 AM

Thanks Mike,

Even as it is a heavy, it is a great begginging. Saludos, Sara
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 09:33 AM

Diver,

I've been considering Sunbelt Publications for some time. I don't have the time to send out hundreds of publication solicitations and Sunbelt seems like a good alternative. They are encouraging me to publish a book with two major stories I wrote some time back. Both are relatively extended pieces. The first is about my wife and I as newlyweds building a thatched hut and living for a summer where Camp Gecko is today (Bahia de Los Angeles 1974). The second I've already posted parts of and it's about our family living just outside La Gringa in another thatched hut in the sunner of 1985 when our two boys were 5 and 7.

Sunbelt seems to believe that the longer works where people can read about an in-depth life in Baja would go over better (for a first publication) than a collection of shorter stories.

So I just need to make a decision and get with the program.

Thanks for reading.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2005 at 09:43 AM

I've read some of the Camp Gecko stories and enjoyed them.
Your writing has matured and the style has improved, maybe because you have mellowed or maybe because you have more time to focus.
How about two books of short colections ?
One for baja stories - one for human nature ?
Whatever you decide, please let me know if/when I can buy your book(s).

And please, get with program ! Can't just sit around thinking about dark colored pee !

[Edited on 7-15-2005 by Diver]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.