Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Speaking of Banda
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-18-2005 at 04:44 PM
Speaking of Banda

We went with some friends to Ensenada today. Thought we were going to La Bufadora but too much fun in Ensenada. Breakfast at El Cid, lobster, shrimp and scallop omelets. Very good.

Then checked out a couple window distributors and drove around looking for accidents to get in. Fortunately, we managed to dodge them all and made it back to the fish market.

After deciding that half the smell was coming from Anthonies, across the street, we ventured in to the mercado to look for something a little fresher.

Looked like about 25% of the shrimp was from yesterday but after sorting, we should have a pretty good dinner of camarones y lenguado. That was fresh!

We did see some BIG tuna but very beat up. Does anyone know if these are products of farm raising? Looked like they had been thrashed against something.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 04:49 PM
Hey you little shrimp....!

Looked like about 25% of the shrimp was from yesterday but after sorting.......jr...how does one pick out the fresh shrimp from the lot? seriously!

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 05:20 PM
Pink vs Grey

is a good place to start. Firmness in the meat. And seeing them stacked in multi color arrangement. Go for the pink ones.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 05:26 PM

Not products of the Bluefin tuna pens. Those Bluefin are treated like the cash cows they are. They selectively harvest the tuna as they get calls from Japan for AAA grade, at the highest price of course. Ive seen feeding time, snow shovels full of sardines are fed to the cows. The Tuna are just offshore {Ensenada} right now so I would imagine that the marks were from poor handling. They let them flop around on deck. We spike and bleed immediately to prevent brusied meat.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 05:30 PM
Thanks Frank

That would explain it. And for the fishermen, they were large!
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 05:36 PM

Y.I.M.
I find that one of the best ways to purchase fish is to smell them carefully.
You should only smell the sea. As fish "ripen" they begin to smell more like ammonia.
J.R.
The "beat up" tuna were probably dropped into a freezer at sea and frozen on the boat. Then they were delivered to the fish market where they were allowed to defrost.
As an aside, some of the better San Diego long range fishing boats now use a system where the fish is treated gently without flopping on the bare deck and slipped into VERY COLD brine. The results for freshness is fantastic!

Therianthropic
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
We did see some BIG tuna but very beat up. Does anyone know if these are products of farm raising? Looked like they had been thrashed against something.

What species?

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 05:51 PM
shrimp are very easy to test...

hold close to nose...if there is a pungent aroma theyre most likely rotten....after you smell enough fresh seafood(which basically has no odor) you know exactly what the" not so fresh" smell is:O
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 06:01 PM
Whiffing

I get some pretty funny looks when I ask to smell the shrimp but that is how I judge the freshness too.
The new Mega had mediums for 99p/kilo. After holding my hair back and sniffing the pile, I purchased some and they were pretty good. There was a lady standing beside me and she said shrimp always smell....I said "not the ones I buy"

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 06:29 PM

AS I get my fresh seafood locally through a wholesale distributer I am shocked at the poor care and representation that exists in many U.S. markets. Of coure not all are created equal but I really have trouble with most. Dealing with fresh seafood daily one comes to spot "off" seafood. And although we move a lot of product it is easy for me to tell the state or condition of such. Many folks ask me how can they tell if the seafood in the display is fresh when they go shopping. There are many indicators that you can see. One immediate clue: if the calimari is puple or the clams are wide open, my advise is to shop elsewhere. I use these items as weathervanes for ALL their seafood because the shelf-life and care of these is very important and critical.
Fishermen here in the NW are very careful, particularuly with salmon whose tissue damages easy. Super cold brine IS the method of choice for many I know.

In Mexico I REALLY look close, especially in the warmer months.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 09:32 PM
So if the shrimps are

wide open or purple, I shouldn't buy them. And if they smell fishy, even though they are pink and fresh, I shouldn't buy them, despite the fact they have been mixed in with yesterdays catch which does smell pretty fishy, I shouldn't buy them:o

Sharks, I know what you are saying.. EE, I hope you are very young!:lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
wide open or purple, I shouldn't buy them.
Sharks, I know what you are saying..

exactly..and
I don't buy pink shrimp.....ever.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 7-19-2005 at 12:43 PM

? What is it, buy pink or not?

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2005 at 12:48 PM
I'm confused on that one too.

It was actually the shells that were pink. And, on kabobs last night, they were delicious.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.