Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New at flyfishing in the Baja
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

puzzled.gif posted on 10-2-2003 at 05:57 PM
New at flyfishing in the Baja

My husb. is an experienced fly fisherman in B.C. waters and I would like to get him some books and perhaps Rod etc. so he could experiment with some "surf fishing":?:Any suggestions?
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 06:39 PM

well i don't know about books but I can tell you that from personal observation the local Mexicans in any particular area seem do do well with very little. My neighbor who is a big fisher person and is a sometime guest on lets talk hook up or some such show in SD once came down with about $400 worth of equip and went out with Jesus zumaya villarino (chewy) to the beach and skunked out while chewy kept reeling them in. He had a short section of 2" PVC that he kept the line wrapped around, a rusty spark plug tied into the line about 4 ft from a rather crude looking rusty hook which was at the end of the line. For bait he would crawl around on the rocks and stab crabs in crevices and use that. Jim tried the same bait but no luck. I tried my hand at it but it takes some getting used to. you grab the pipe in your hands so its perpendicular to the surf line and twirl the line about 2 ft from the spark plug and then let er go at the right time. when you do it right it goes flying out into the waves just past where they are breaking, they you start playing it in slowly and do it over. When you do it wrong you send it flying into the spectators and are greeted with many curses.

[Edited on 3-10-2003 by Bajabus]

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 06:43 PM

ok I have had two Cosmos so my spelling and grammer are a little off. Please forgive me

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 06:45 PM

That is not only true in the Baja...after one of our trips to San Jose our son tried the samethe same techniquesthe locals used, at home...ties a string to a stick...attached who knows what and was the only one to catch a fish!! I'm not too sure Fred would be too keen on that technique...we do have several months!!!:tumble:
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 06:47 PM

Just a bowl and stew and look at mine!!!
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 06:49 PM

...spelling and grammar that is!!;D
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 10-3-2003 at 04:32 PM
Here's a great one

"Fly fishing afoot in the Surf Zone" by Ken Hanley. I think its under $7.

Ken is a great fisherman and a very personable guy- and we share many of the same ideas...mainly keep it simple. Expensive gear and outrageously priced trips are plain not necessary. If he wants to fish in the Baja, there is a mountain of information on the internet and even more folks in the know who will be more than happy to give information. Also the ability to speak at least some Spanish will be very useful. Buenas suerte!!
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2003 at 09:01 PM

Thanks...I think I got it!...keep it simple.
I think the books will be under the tree and leave the rest to him.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 07:42 AM
Fishin' gear...

The fly can hold it's own with the bait and spark plug anyday once you get dialed in. No better way to beach fish in Baja in my opinion. I bet your husband has an 8 weight fly rod. The same gear he uses to fly fish salmon is a great starter outfit for Baja. Buy him a good Baja fly line. I recommend Rio Deep sea ( 300 grains ) fly line. The only way to go! A spool of 16 pound flourocarbon for leader material and he'll be set.
Check out Gary Graham's site www.bajafly.com, or either of his Baja fly fishing books.
FlyGirl

eureka.gif posted on 10-8-2003 at 12:29 PM
Good suggestions here... also

if you want to fly-fish out in deeper water, you can rent a panga, or to fly-fish for billfish, etc., you can go out with Baja Anglers (Cabo San Lucas).
I went out with them last year, and although it's pretty spendy, the guide (captain) and mate were OUTSTANDING. Even a lame-o caster like me (I am accustomed to fly-fishing the rivers) was able to land (boat) a 30-lb Toro (Jack Cravelle).
I can't recommend them highly enough (but they are expensive, like most charters there).
This December my husband and I are going back and want to try some surf fishing also. So all these suggestions are great.:spingrin:
Jim

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 02:04 PM

I'm assuming that by "B.C. waters" you are referring to British Columbia and not Baja California.
The current issue of Fly Fisherman magazine has a good article about fly-fishing in Baja California.
FlyGirl

wink.gif posted on 10-9-2003 at 03:01 PM
Hey Jim -

I'm going to check out the Fly Fisherman article!
I used to subscribe but I don't anymore.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 04:08 PM

Thanks to all for the ++ susgggestions. Yes Jim, I was referring to British Columbia re: husbands experience. Mostly stream fishing but some salmon fishing as well...off the Fraser river.
Any suggestions in particular around Tosdos Santos. Just rented a house there for 7 weeks. CAN'T WAIT!!
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 04:12 PM

That last message was mine...and that would be Todos Santos:( I'll get the hang of this yet!!)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.