BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: upgrades Ford Explorer sport trac?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-24-2005 at 05:34 AM
upgrades Ford Explorer sport trac?

i just bought one, 4X2, 4 litre V6 pretty much stock. any ideas on things i can do to it. it won't be an off road demon but i will take it places i can do in 2 wheel drive mode. i am interested in engine, gearing, wheels tires - hell, whatever might improve it.

nice to have some kind of truck again. since i sold my F 250 diesel.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-24-2005 at 06:09 AM

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/

Mike check this site. I use it a lot for my explorer and ford Ranger If they don't have the info you need just ask on the forum and you will git it.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

pokey
Nomad

Mood: sun burned

[*] posted on 7-24-2005 at 06:58 AM

I'll second the site bruce mentioned. It has a wealth of info on tweaks and customs a person can do to their Ford. A $2 thermometer change in my Ford Ranger got rid of the pinging that the v6 vulcan engine is known for.

Keep Mexico weird
SEATWILL
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-24-2005 at 08:22 AM

From a f250 diesel to an explorer v-6? thats like a tail wheel to a nose wheel,dirt strip to a paved one,all in good fun,i have one 4x4 its the wifes truck,my F250 power stroke is to macho for her:lol:

If you come to a "Y" in the road,take it....
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-24-2005 at 04:46 PM
thx guys. i'll try the link.

i am loving this truck already!! has a matching camper shell too. the gas mileage is great! getting 20 highway at 60 - 65 mph. needs tires though, some all TAs or something. and a DVD pop down like i put in my plane for the back seaters.

the engine seems fine, will check out the towing package soon. supposed to be for up to 5K lbs?

stereo is good for now, need to amp it up some time though and add a mega phone for errant cows. :lol::lol::coolup::biggrin:

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2005 at 05:10 PM

Mike - I have an Explorer that I use in Mexico - I guess it'd be similar.

I don't know about souping it up but I can practically guarantee that you'll have to have the transmission rebuilt at about 80k - if it's an automatic - like clockwork.

I've also gone through 3 fuel pumps - I carry an extra - cost about $60 at napa - and I can change one in about 3 hours now.

I don't think I'd be towing much with it - talk to some mechanics - U-Haul won't even attach a trailer to an Explorer - I guess it goes back to the transmission.

Again - maybe you have a manual trans.

There are a couple in Mexicali - real chick magnets.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-24-2005 at 07:06 PM

Mike
You can extend the life of the transmission by changeing the fluid to synthetic, also add on the largest transmission cooler you can find, and bypass the cooler in the radiator, also change the transmission filter every 30K. All of the above goes for most vehicles.(yes synthetic is expensive but so are transmissions)

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 7-25-2005 at 05:17 AM
ok!! more good feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. the spare fuel pump i get today.
2. the tranny mods to be scheduled asap.

i have the autotrans - hate mixing drinks on the fly with a stick.
i don't have much to tow right now but that will change some day. a bike trailer, jet skis, light stuff.

it came with a transferable warranty good to 72K or till 2009 that covers the tranny etc so i am good till then with no out of pocket unless i am way out of the country.

now Braulio...where exactly do i find those chicks??!!:coolup::coolup::lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Mike
You can extend the life of the transmission by changeing the fluid to synthetic, also add on the largest transmission cooler you can find, and bypass the cooler in the radiator, also change the transmission filter every 30K. All of the above goes for most vehicles.(yes synthetic is expensive but so are transmissions)

I will second this advice I pull a trailer with mine. but I change trans. fluid every 20,000 miles. I have 110,000 miles. and no problems.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 06:30 AM

Men are such IDIOTS!!!

Women are NOT attracted to vehicles (CARS and TRUCKS)....ONLY GUYS!!!!

If you want to attract the same sex...than get a cool car.
I guarentee you will get exposure!!!

On theother hand BOATS attract women...period!!!
Remember....you could ask a woman every day to strip down and get slapped every time but...on a boat....it only takes 1 minute....:lol:

bob

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
pokey
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 08:13 AM

Yep but a truck can take me to places that that I've only dreamed of.

Keep Mexico weird
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 06:06 PM

i am with you Bob!! lets get your dock finished and launch that boat!!

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 07:33 PM
Pokey...just had'a ask...

...what is A $2 thermometer change ...been wrenchin' on my wheels all my life, and have never heard of a 'thermometer' on a Ford, unless it's the one that hangs on the mirror and tells you the outside temp!

Could you mean the 'thermostat' ?? If so, what temp rating did you use??

Just wondering...thanks.

[Edited on 7-26-2005 by Mexray]

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
pokey
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 09:09 PM

Yeah i changed the themostat from a 190 to a 180. My apoligies for the lingo. This has made a big difference in the way our Ranger handles on the hills

Keep Mexico weird
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 09:11 PM

Mike,

For information about your Ford Explorer Sporttrac, go directly to: http://www.explorerforum.com There is a guy on that forum who has equipped is Ford Explorer especially for the rigors of Baja - he had the guys from Perry's Fab and Fiber in Tijuana, B.C. do all of the work, and his rig looks complete.

As for you, plan on adding an ARB locking differential to the rear diff if you plan on hitting the Baja dirt. Perhaps, chance the ring and pinion to a 4:56 ratio and upgrade to a set of 32" or 33" tires for additional traction/clearance for your I.F.S. suspension. Rear suspension clearance can be gained by doing a SOA (Spring over axle) - again Chris G. who had his Explorer outfitted by Perry's Fab and Fiber had this exact same work done on his Explorer and now has considerable rear suspension mobility over stock.

Superlift out of Arkansas makes a 4" suspension lift for your Sport Trac - this will make travels out into the bush much more pleasant with the added clearance under your vehicle. A set of good tires will also provide you with more capability.

Mickey Thompson MTX Radials are a great compromise between All Terrain and Mud Terrain tires. BFGoodrich All Terrain tires provide some adequate traction, although you will need to go with a 31" or larger tire in order to reap those benefits. If you are working with a 16" wheel, that means you will need either an LT245 (31") or better yet, an LT265 (32") tire. Be sure to carry a set of automatic tire deflators with you, and air those tires down to 20# when you leave the pavement. No use in loosening those tooth fillings on that washboard...

If you cannot afford the Superlift 4" Suspension lift, you can just do a 1"-2" Torsion Bar Twist along with a 3" Body Lift. Chris G. did this to his Explorer and was able to fit the larger tires (33"). Again if you have 16" wheels, you will need LT285s or LT305s to equal a 33" tire.

Be sure to browse the Explorerforum.com page for more info. You can also email me at: ken@rubiconowners.com for more details on outfitting your Ford Explorer Sport Trac for Baja! Enjoy!

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

smile.gif posted on 7-26-2005 at 05:19 AM
thx Ken, i have copied your notes to my

regular tech but a question remains - does it make sense to do most of that since it is a 4X2 rig? no 4WD .
i like the suspension stuff. raising it too much could be a problem, no? because they are already a top heavy ride? in fact Ford has all kinds of caveats in the brochure warning against rollover depending on how you drive.

it may never get to baja and if it does it will be via the SRL ferry from guaymas to get a trailer full of bikes or jet skis/toys etc to mulege, and that will be all pavement.
how will the larget tires affect the gas mileage?

maybe better to do that stuff to my Nissan pathfinder 4X4 which is based already at mulege. i can trailer the tires and stuff there and have a local tech do it.

all fun stuff! thx everyone.
i'll post a picture of it.

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 09:06 AM
Sharks...not to pick on you, but...

as a point of Board procedure, why do you do a 'quote' of Ken's entire previous post? It seems like a big waste of Nomad's space on their server, especially when you are only making a short reply comment that really doesn't need the entire 'quote'...just wondering.

I think the 'Board' is much easier to read without all those 'quotes' that just repeat posts, and those 'quotes' of 'quotes' of 'quotes' we see from time-to-time are really a big waste of space, IMO...

Not picking on you, as several posters seem to use this procedure, which I think detracts from the 'flow' of a thread...

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
as a point of Board procedure, why ... 'quote' [an] entire previous post? It seems like a big waste of Nomad's space...just wondering.
... . Not picking on you [sharksbaja], as several posters seem to use this procedure, which I think detracts from the 'flow' of a thread...

I happen to agree with Mexray. I'll bet those with dial-up agree also. Just a guess.

It is possible to "edit" a "quote" and therefore post only the part of the post that's most applicable. I've done that here with Mexray's post to illustrate.

If you want to see what your post will look like before you click on "Post Reply" you can "Preview Post"--a good idea always.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 08:55 PM

Originally posted by capt. mike
regular tech but a question remains - does it make sense to do most of that since it is a 4X2 rig? no 4WD .

--Mike, if this was your only Baja vehicle, then I would modify it. But, since you have a 4WD Pathfinder with all of the bells and whistles, then I would leave the Sport Trac stock and utilize it as your "Family Taxi" that can get you here and there in relative comfort.

it may never get to baja and if it does it will be via the SRL ferry from guaymas to get a trailer full of bikes or jet skis/toys etc to mulege, and that will be all pavement.
how will the larget tires affect the gas mileage?

--You may lose 1-2 M.P.G. in and around town with a slightly larger tire (31"). Your torque numbers [242@3,000] won't suffer much from altering your vehicle slightly - depending on your stock ring and pinion, but once again, it would probably be better to keep the Sport Trac stock so you can show your friends around without them having too much stress getting in and out of it.

maybe better to do that stuff to my Nissan pathfinder 4X4 which is based already at mulege.

--If your adventures warrant any modifications, then, go for it. Otherwise, by keeping your Pathfinder as close to stock as possible, you are not creating any "weak links" that will need to be problem-solved. I modified my last vehicle (a Ford Ranger) so much that the thing was in constant need of maintenance. My new vehicle (a Wrangler Rubicon) is only slightly modified, with a majority of the upgrades having been performed by the factory - this way, I'll have a more reliable backcountry Baja rig and spend less on maintenance (knock on wood) in the long run...
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
as a point of Board procedure, why do you do a 'quote' of Ken's entire previous post? It seems like a big waste of Nomad's space on their server, especially when you are only making a short reply comment that really doesn't need the entire 'quote'...just wondering.

Because of the way Ken extrapolated the answer, I thought it was funny so I extrapolated with his extrapolation:lol:

Typically, I only post the relevant part of the post.

Don't worry tho I saved the server some precious Kbs by deleting it. (snif)

Ever notice how I SAVE YOU more space by posting almost all my pics on my own website. Not too many do that.

Can you imagine how much space some Nomads use.:smug:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.