Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: TOILET PAPER
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2005 at 07:32 PM

I use the marine grade paper. Never a problem. Not real big on the paper in the basket.

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 08:32 AM

Bob and Susan---You are the King of Toilet Paper knowledge. Who was Thomas Crapper---and why didn't he get his name changed? Average person uses 8.6 per visit-----what happened to the .4 piece? Maybe they blow their nose on it. I don't believe that 8.6 as an average. Women use 8.6 rolls of paper before they even sit down. Lastly---only Clinton would have thought of a way to tax taking a crap. In fact---I would bet Clinton is a close relative of Tom Crapper.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 02:57 PM
Crappy Thread

I noticed this a.m. that there was a posting on the UCR (Fred Metcalf's) board saying that they could expect an increase in member postings since the Nomad's board had degenerated into a discussion of feces and urine.

I pointed out that this particular subject has a great deal of significance to those of us who live here since it is a subject that we have all had to deal with, usually at the worst possible time.

I found it interesting a few minutes ago, that the whole thread on that board had been removed by the moderator. Talk about delicate sensibilities. I guess even a pertinent subject discussed without profanity is too much for Freddie if it involves caca.
cranky

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 05:00 PM

Capt. Sharky who looks and anal comes to mind. I had to look that up. Cranky
Bajaddict
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 07:49 PM
Septic Systems

In my opinion, toilet paper is not flushed due to overtaxed, poorly maintained, improperly designed, or non-existent septic tanks and leach fields.... mostly due to economic restraints. Buildings with toilets that connect to a public sewer, where availible, are not prone to the problems associated with the flushing of toilet paper.... if the building's waste piping has been properly sized, installed, and vented - that is.

A properly sized tank, with two or more chambers, will allow the retention time necessary for the discharge to break down into effluent. This "broth" then passes into a leach field, composed of perforated pipe draining into sub-surface gravel-filled filter fabric encased trenches, and is absorbed into the surrounding soil.

A good practice, given the free space, is to provide two leach fields.... alternating leach fields, every six months or so, through a distribution/sample box located on the discharge outlet of the septic tank. This gives each half of the leach field a rest, in which small amounts of solids can break down, restoring the field's "percolation" capacity. This also allows you to view, or "sample", the tank's outfall to insure that there is no "sludge" passing into and fouling the leach fields. A tank must be pumped out, periodically, to avoid passing "semi-solids" into the leach field. Septic tanks usually do not fail.... leach fields do, and must be replaced when their percolating capacities are compromised.

Leach fields should not be installed in areas with high water tables or in close proximety to wells.

Installing a grey water system (for irrigation), monthly influxes of yeast (drink more beer!), and avoiding grease, garbage (from disposers) and chemicals will help insure a "healthier" septic tank environment and sustainable leach field.

The square footage of leach field required is based on the building discharge, and the "percolation" test (the timed rate of liquid absorbsion into the soil at the leach field location). The tanks are sized based on the building sewage discharge. These formulas are published and are based on the UPC's (Uniform Plumbing Code) requirements. I am in the process of (pending percolaton test results) designing a septic system for a new public library now. Not the most glamorous of professions but, what the hey, your sh*t is my bread and butter!

A public restroom, generating huge amounts of waste and paper, will quickly overtax even the most generously sized septic system. In urban areas with public sewers, I'd hazard to guess, the practice of not flushing the paper is an ingrained habit.

A couple of more fast tips (as I need to go take a crap now! :o). Provide a 3" minimum waste (three toilets maximum) and 2" vent at each water closet. 2" and 3" horizontal waste lines should be installed with 2% fall (approximately 1/4" per foot). A good idea is to surround all below grade waste piping, upsteam of the septic tank, with 6" of sand.

A trick is to intall the main trunk line in 4", as it only needs 1% fall (approximatley 1/8" per foot). The extra cost in material will be regained in less excavation and backfill for the septic tank and leaching field.

The total amount of square inches of the cross-sectional dimenson of the building sewer must be provided at the vents through the roof. In other words, if you have a 3" sewer (7.07 sq. inches) you need at least three 2" vents (3.14 sq. inches each) to provide adequate air flow for drainage.

Then again, my relative's house (in an undisclosed location) drains into what is little more than a sophisticated "55 gallon drum" setup. There are no vents, and paper & tampons are flushed at will. It's been working great for years!! :lol::lol:
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 09:08 PM
TP and culture

Bajaaddict.
Thanks, good info, but as I understand the standard(?) in Baja is two sand boxes and you change the sand in them?? Something to do with the aquifer?? Anyone know about this?
As for tp, if your system can handle it do as you please at home, but it would be nice to respect others culture. life is for living even the "gross" parts.
Albert

[Edited on 7-26-2005 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 09:20 PM

"I'd hazard to guess, the practice of not flushing the paper is an ingrained habit."

Very true.

So, in my opinion as "Gringas", if we find ourselves in the U.S. and still contributing to the bin rather than the bowl, then we should be proud to consider ourselves baja ingrained.

That could be a good thing, and not be all that bad.

Sometimes my daughter and I find ourselves accidently throwing it in the "other" can when we really don't need to. It must be another example of the baja life ingrained...

Oh well, besides being TMI, life could be worse than discussing the politics of T.P.

We are just baja girls at heart y bano.

P.<*)))><

[Edited on 26-7-2005 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-25-2005 at 09:25 PM
Long as your not

sticking them to the wall Paulina, your still respected! :lol:
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 09:26 PM

Jr, you actually got a laugh out of me that time! Too funny!!!

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 10:04 PM

and while we are discussing the remnants of TP...I'll take this opportunity to remind you of your ex who had a problem with leaving some of the TP behind...ROTFLMAO...photos are available..OMG that was too funny for me and LN....

LOL..good stuff to keep a person young!:lol:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 10:22 PM

If you could post those photos I'd be ever so greatful. You'd be my K.I.S.A. Your post has given me the biggest smile yet!
:lol:lol::lol: LN and I had a laugh about that incident not too long ago... Way too funny. Find those photos!!! I'll even say the magic word...

P.<*)))><

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 08:01 PM
A Related Subject

While stumbling around on the Internet, I found the following website:

http://www.urinal.net

Advertised as the best place to pee (word changed by the moderator) away your time on the web.
They have photos of unusual urinals the world over. One such featured is the urinal at the Bar Mareno in Percebu.

http://www.urinal.net/moreno

That word change reminds me of something that occurred the other day. With the new movie release of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", my wife wanted to rent the original with Gene Wilder and burn it on to a DVD for the Grandkids. While watching it, I noted that the spoiled English tot referred to her father's female factory workers as "Twats"' Obviously, in years past that word's meaning has evolved, although it still refers to a female. I guess profanity is in the eye of the beholder.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 08:13 PM

I know a man on a ranch that saves the used T.P. and uses it for stuffing in his pillows. now that is recycling:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 09:39 PM
No you don't

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-28-2005 at 06:13 AM

Holy Cow MrBill...

that guy needs to find a DIFFERENT hobby....

it was educational though:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 7-28-2005 at 07:33 AM

Rest stops on I-8 between Yuma and Gila Bend have signs in English and Spanish instructing travelers to flush the paper. There are no wastebaskets in the stalls. Yet piles of paper will accumulate in the corners anyway. Habits can be hard to break.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2005 at 09:55 AM
An interesting coincidence

Last night on the History channel's "Modern Marvels" segment, the subject was Bathroom Tech and covered the evolution of bathtubs, toilets, toilet paper and dental hygiene. More than you ever wanted to know.

One interesting fact was that John Crapper did not have anything to do with the invention of the modern toilet, but was a businessman who put the toilet into mass production. American soldiers during WWI, seeing his name on all public toilets, coined the phrase "going to the crapper".
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2005 at 11:58 AM

Okay, okay....here is one for Bob and Susan. Why and who invented the scented toilet paper. I have never understood why they have scented toilet paper. I will scent it myself and it won't smell like flowers. Inquiring minds want to know.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 7-28-2005 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
One interesting fact was that John Crapper did not have anything to do with the invention of the modern toilet, but was a businessman who put the toilet into mass production. American soldiers during WWI, seeing his name on all public toilets, coined the phrase "going to the crapper".

This begs the question, were feces referred to as crap before Crapper came along? Chicken or the egg?
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 7-28-2005 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
Why and who invented the scented toilet paper. I have never understood why they have scented toilet paper. I will scent it myself and it won't smell like flowers. Inquiring minds want to know.

Toilet paper was invented by John W. Scent. He never received credit for his discovery until lately. Once the truth came out, someone decided to pour perfume on TP and thus you have scented paper. :lol:

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.