Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Rosario Festival 2005
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 03:40 PM
Baja Rosario Festival 2005

What a great time down in El Rosario this past weekend for the founding of the town festival. Antonio of Baja Cactus Motel did a wonderful job organizing the event and the townspeople were very excited and proud.

It was good to see so many Nomads and other visitors there.

Ted

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 06:57 PM

Just got back into town this afternoon (Monday) after spending the weekend at the Festival in El Rosario. I can't speak for everyone, but from the looks of it a great time was had by all. That's certainly the case for myself and my friends.

I especially want to thank Antonio M., his family, friends and the staff of the Baja Cactus Motel for their outstanding hospitality and all of the hard work put into organizing the events of the weekend. Gracias por tu armistad, Antonio!

This was the first time I had been to a town fiesta of this type, and although I am definetly a gringo who "stands out like a sore thumb", I felt imursed and drawn into the culture of the town of El Rosario. From touring the mission sites to visiting the town museum, from attending the rodeo to seeing the local points of interest, it all added up to be another exceptional extended weekend in Baja. (Oh yeah, and I even got to surf a fun little spot south of Punta Baja. Who could ask for more?)

I can't wait for the next one!

-Andy

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 07:59 PM

Just got home at 8 pm.....good weekend....but the BORDER ...out of control.....maybe Antonio can help us there?....:lol:...too tired to say more now.....
Nicholita
Special Correspondent

Mood: Great! :bounce:

thumbup.gif posted on 7-25-2005 at 10:22 PM

It was a great festival. Thanks to Anotnio it turned out to be a great experience! Can't wait for the next one.

Surfer Jim: Thanks for letting me ride with you. Hope you had a great nap at the beach!:yawn:

Mexico Ted: It was great seeing you again, hope you had a good time, and thanks for the small talk. Your friends were cool! :cool:

David K: I know you're probably not back in town yet, but thanks for the tour. Hope everything is well. ;D

Bajaandy: Love the hair! :yes:

Thanks to everyone, and hope you all had a good time!

PS: The beauty pageant was awesome!:biggrin:

-A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.

\"The secret of success, without hard work, is still a secret\" --Doug Means
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 10:28 PM

Great time in El Rosario, but missed the beauty contest.

Unidentified Nomads tied me up so I would not make all of the beauties WiWs. :lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 11:20 PM

Got a shower and dinner ....ah.....better......was surprised by the number of people who showed up...I expected maybe 5 would accually make it there.....still some people I didn't meet....but that is for next time

wonderful trip Saturday....I love dirt roads and got to places I would have never have seen....had BAD sinus headache all day until 8 PM but made best of it anyway....wanted the thunderstorms to throw a little more rain our way as the smell of fresh rain and the desert is refreshing....

Border was a mess today ...2 PM ....TJ is blocked off for the turnoff to border.....now what?....never been to OTAY but here we go...."some" signs to show direction....30 minutes later in 2 mile long line with another 2 hours wait...then another 30 minutes on 905 to return to the 805 N.....:fire:....

P.S. to nicholita:glad to have a rider for this trip....you (and your brother) are welcome to ride again on any future trip...
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 09:02 AM

We were lucky at the border as we crossed at Tecate at 8pm sunday and were the only car in line. That's never happened before! Of course, they needed to do a complete search on the car. Bored agents I'm sure. Luckily I'm not a smuggler!
Ted

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 09:43 AM

Just a GREAT weekend in El Rosario! Thank you very much Antonio! Met a lot of Nomads and ate a lot of good food! And, cerveza ofcourse. The offroad tour (nine trucks) through El Cardonal, led by David K, was outstanding to say the least. Hook drove his Lance cabover to places you would not believe! The smell of rain in the air, some lightening, and thunder in the desert made it a special day for sure. Can't wait till we can all do this again!
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Border was a mess today ...2 PM ....TJ is blocked off for the turnoff to border.....now what?....never been to OTAY but here we go...."some" signs to show direction....30 minutes later in 2 mile long line with another 2 hours wait...then another 30 minutes on 905 to return to the 805 N.....:fire:....

When they block off the ramp you don't need to drive to Otay. Simply continue on ( app one block) and then take the next right. This will put you back at the border lanes.

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 01:27 PM

Had no idea what to do.....or where to go other than OTAY.....this is second time in a row with 3+ hours to cross during "off" hours .....I have got to have a better plan......but what is it?.....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 01:44 PM
The next right after the cloverleaf

is often not a bed of roses, either. You are forced to a stop sign and must make a right turn into the border lanes that are always backed up. It's taken me over a half hour just to make this right turn.

At least that's been my experience.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 06:23 PM

A half hour?

You need a refresher course in Mexican gonzo offensive driving.

He who hesitates...waits.

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 08:04 PM
Dave

Tell them how to take the Libre and head to the border from the traffic circle--not a piece of cake--but a whole lot faster than going to Otay.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
A half hour?

You need a refresher course in Mexican gonzo offensive driving.

He who hesitates...waits.

It took a half hour JUST to get to the stop sign. So, if the drivers in front of you aren't gonzo (which I am), it won't matter much.

It is not a terribly secret alternative.
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 07:02 AM

Surfer Jim. I must have just missed it. I hit the border right at 12 noon, kept to the right all the way, and crossed at 12:15. HAHAHAHA I guess some guys just have all the luck.:biggrin:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2005 at 02:25 PM

Around 2:30 they were opening and closing it depending on how backed up the ramp got. They reopented it just as we were getting there - we stayed to the right and passed trough in 25 minutes! :smug:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2005 at 02:08 PM

If you don't mind driving the extra miles (maybe 10 to the border), then Hwy. 3 to Tecate is the preferred route. Sure, once you cross the border, you have to drive Hwy. 94 to Hwy. 125 and Hwy. 8, but you are driving and not sitting in traffic for an hour or more. Plus the drive is beautiful.

Like I said, not a car before us in line at Tecate at 8pm on Sunday.....

Ted

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2005 at 02:46 PM
Also need to factor in...

....the difference in driving time to the Tecate border from the turnoff on Hwy 1 from simply continuing to TJ.

The most recent Chubasco newsletter made it sound like the revamping of the Tecate checkpoint actually made it more difficult and more lengthy to deal with than it was before. At least, that was the case when there are cars waiting to cross. What is your assessment, Ted.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.