Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Our trip to El Rosario 7/22-24
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-31-2005 at 10:41 PM
Our trip to El Rosario 7/22-24

Michelle and I, along with the kids - save for one that escaped to Orange County for the weekend to visit a family friend - enjoyed our first multi-night getaway in some time - and what more perfect reason than the El Rosario celebration put on by Antonio of Baja Cactus.

Friday: Wanted to leave San Diego earlier in the day, but it takes time to get an army moving. I'd say we crossed just before 5pm (I do not remember the exact time). Then in Tijuana, my habit is to take the free road from Tijuana to Rosarito, then drive down the cuota to Ensenada. I've just liked going through the Zona Rio in Tijuana more so than the trip down towards the Playas bull ring over the course of time.

Anyway... stuck in construction on the free road to Rosarito... the lanes were squeezed down to single lanes both ways... delayed us about an hour and a half I'd say. By the time we reached Ensenada it was fish taco time at a stand I've been going to for some time off Juarez (?) just east of the river bed. On the way there, we saw David K, David's son, and Baja Angel - so we paused briefly to say hello. They said they were heading out of town at that point. This was just before dark. I do not recall the time.

Ended up arriving in El Rosario LATE. Between 10:30pm and 11:00pm Friday night. I really try not to drive at night, but made this one of the exceptions. My advice to people that insist on doing so is to follow a truck or bus from a safe distance behind - as they may be more familiar with the road than you, and their vehicles can act as a cow catcher of sorts.

We were greeted by a very friendly staff at the Baja Cactus Motel and Antonio had reserved for us room 208 - from the courtyard it's currently on top to the right looking at the building (this is a poor description, but it'll have to do). This room - and I can only guess the adjoining room - had two king beds AND a loft. Climb the ladder and there are two twin beds above. The king beds were TOP OF THE LINE plush. Dang. Certainly wasn't expecting that. There were lots of nice touches there that you'd fine in nicer resorts. Lots of thought and effort has been made with many of the small details here. The bathrooms were great, including having glass-doored showers. There were some quirks (but I expect that - and actually enjoy it), and a very nice electronically controlled ceiling fan - but no a/c (not that we needed it for the weekend - we didn't).

Anyway, suffice it to say the rooms were a great value - at least at this time while construction continues on their expansion. My understanding is they will remove the older rooms in the courtyard after expansion of the new rooms is complete. The extended courtyard will be necessary for vehicles to park.

After we arrived - about 10 minutes after David, et al - we sat in the courtyard and caught up on things. A little while later Antonio arrived and informed us that the elders were still talking down at La Bocana, and that it was being covered live by a radio station from San Quintin. He told us that event had gone over very well - more so than maybe anticipated (my guess).

Let me tell you, after seeing him this weekend - I kid you not - Antonio could double as a magician! I COULD NOT BELIEVE how he was EVERYWHERE in town at seemingly the same time ALL WEEKEND LONG. Amazing. It really was. Maybe there's a twin brother I don't know about (just kidding). He gets things DONE - and in style. I can't say enough on this subject.

After relaxing in the courtyard and getting to chat with a few folks, we retired for the night.

Saturday: Anticipating a convoy of vehicles for an off-road jaunt, we got ready early, had breakfast, and actually had the troops ready for the stated time of departure (9am). This ended up being more of an estimate than a firm time. I think we finally rolled out at 9:45 and met up with everyone on the south side of the El Rosario bridge(s), where we left the pavement.

The two older kids accepted offers to ride with others - Squarecircle and Surfer Jim - for the drive, and off we went. Enjoyed the desert scenery greatly. David K's pictures don't really do this trip justice in my opinion. It was great to be back in the desert! Our 4 year-old was a trooper, and actually took a 20-30 minute nap in the Tacoma during one of the rougher portions of the trip. He was OUT.

The ride went longer than expected, and some folks were caught without cold refreshment for some time. Glad we brought extras to share.

Certainly a worthwhile trip, and we enjoyed the company of everyone along.

Upon returning, we relaxed a bit back at the motel for a few minutes, then headed out for a restaurant run - and to have a look at the industry fair.

We caught up with a group having a meal at the Restaurant La Bocana (?) out front of the Sinai (sp?) RV Park. Enjoyed the company everyone. Thanks for letting us join you.

We made a few stops along the way back to the motel to see what was happening under the big tent, then returned to the motel, saw David, his son & Baja Angel again briefly, then relaxed for a little while before heading back for the beauty pageant later in the evening.

I was surprised to be asked to be one of the judges for the beauty pageant Saturday night (representing the Baja Nomads of course!) - and certainly didn't know what to expect... but wow, what a very well run event, and it wasn't until I was caught up in the middle of it (and surrounded by other judges there who were important members of the community [and media]) did it become obvious how prestigious this event was in El Rosario. The event started at 10pm and went until almost 2am. The ladies (8 of them, between 16 and 20 years old) had all put a lot of time and effort preparing for this event, and I congratulate them all. They were all winners last week. Antonio, it was truly an honor to participate in such a responsible position for this event of such importance in the El Rosario community. Thank you so much for including me this way in the festivities!

Sunday: Antonio had invited all of the Nomads in attendance for breakfast on Sunday morning around 10am. We got up early, grabbed Nomad Squarecircle, and headed out to La Lobera - the collapsed sea cave to partake of the coast in that area - as we'd heard so many good things about it. I found out from Antonio that this area is indeed private property, but for the weekend, they had opened it to the public. Antonio said that people had made the drive from other distant communities to view the area, as this is not usually available to the public to visit/view. There was a gentleman there collecting a parking fee of 20 pesos per vehicle. His information was that the construction of the restaurant (which sits over a large concrete pool structure - which he says is for lobsters) has taken place over the last three years.

And let me tell you...

...we went for the sea cave, and our jaws dropped when we saw the coast, cliffs, tide pools, etc. This will be a gold coast some day. No doubt. Unbelievable. I didn't want to leave so quickly - we stayed for about 45 minutes I believe - but wanted to get back for Antonio's breakfast.

After the breakfast we needed to say our goodbyes and head back home - as I had meetings to attend on Monday. We left sometime between 12-1pm I believe. We stopped for a while near the shipwreck just north of Camalu and enjoyed the coast for an hour or slightly more, then continued north.

We stopped again for fish tacos in Ensenada, and when we finally drove through Rosarito I remembered the construction along the free road and opted for the cuota back into Tijuana.

Apparently (and I think I read it in another post here on the board), the free road was closed (?). About 6 miles (km? - I don't remember), traffic along the toll road was at a near standstill. This was at about 8pm. All the toll booths were open, but there was so much traffic it was backed up this far. Lots of people making a lane along the shoulder. Took a little over 2 hours to go that last few miles on the toll road Sunday night.

Decided to take the "gringo trap" as well upon getting to the border (instead of coming in by Pueblo Amigo as I usually do when coming in over the free road into the Zona Rio). We took the diamond lane. Oh my. Backed up all the way to the diamond lane entrance, and another hour and forty-five minutes to cross the border.

I still had to make another stop in Rancho Pe?asquitos before heading home and getting in about 1:30am.

Didn't like the traffic, but all well and good for this memorable trip to El Rosario.

Again, much appreciation to Antonio (and really, his ENTIRE family) for coordinating this event and inviting the Nomads here to attend. We had a wonderful time, and received wonderful hospitality from the residents of El Rosario.

--
Doug Means

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2005 at 11:43 PM

We really tried to make the event. I hope Antonio and his supporters know how much we enjoy (even though only from our armchairs) reading about this event and look forward to making at the next one.

Thanks, Doug, for the detailed report.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 12:14 AM

Thanks Doug, nice report! I have photos to post taken by Diamante Del Mar's Rob, one of you as judge at the contest...!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 07:34 AM

Wonderful Report Doug, Thank You
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2005 at 07:58 AM

Doug, that was a great report. It was great meeting you and your family during the El Cardonal run and again at dinner that night. Fun was had by all! We can't wait to go back and see more of the area. La Lobera was breathtaking.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.