BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: JRBajas 4 way test for weeding out chicken coopers
budman

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 05:37 AM

I stand corrected, I will agree that a .50 cal round is larger in circumfrence, however I will have to see ballistics to see which is more powerful. It is hard to imagine an automatic round that produces as much muzzle velocity as the 454. It seems it would wreck an action, I may be wrong, and have been before.
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 05:59 AM
by the way

its heavy, awkward, expensive,and not very fun to shoot. the only thing i like about the gun is it is nice to look at.

Want what you have
budman

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 06:14 AM

Here are the fruits of google, "googleberries"

The 500 s&w is the most powerful standard handgun cartridge in the world by a VERY large margin. It fires up to a 350gr bullet at up to 2000 FPS, and up to a 750gr bullet at up to 1250 fps.

By comparison the .50ae fires a 300-350gr bullet at 1250-1750fps, and the .50gi fires a 300gr bullet at 900 fps.

The reason for such a small range for the to .50?s is that they are autopictol cartridges, and autos have far less tolerance for variations in length, or power.

A .500 S&W can be loaded to the point of being as powerful as some large rifle cartridges, or downloaded into .44 magnum territory.

In terms of comparison with other cartirdges, the .500 s&w is closest in power to the 45-70 gov?t, the .50ae is similar to a high end .44 magnum, and the .50gi is about the same as a .45 super if it were loaded with 300gr bullets (most load the super with very light bullets for the ultra high velocities pushgin it into .41 magnum range)
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 10:19 AM
Well...

I just wanna know which one's best for takin' out them queers! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 07:04 PM
ouch...

there is some serious "falling apart" going on in this thread:lol::lol::lol:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 07:29 PM

WOW! that's way more punch than anyone needs with their cake.

I think it's about time for another "Dirty Harry" sequel.

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 09:02 PM
for those interested in police work...

please take this task a little more seriously...
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 09:44 PM
The Oldest Still The Best

If the objective is to comfortably carry a firearm that will do the best job of bringing the Bad Guy down, I still think the .45 ACP is the best choice, although there is NO guarantee that even that will stop someone dead in their tracks with one or two hits unless something vital is hit. The July or August issue of Handgun Magazine has an article that makes that very point. The best way to insure likely success is the use of the proper ammunition.

Although I target practice with 185gr FMJ Ball ammo because it's the cheapest and cycles best in an M1911 or other, when the gun is loaded at home or in my vehicle I load it with Frangible self-defense ammo. Various manufacturers make it, but Cor-Bon is excellent to name one. I've got loads of this type ammo for all of the weapons I'm likely to be using, .38 spl,
.380, 9mm Parabellum and the .45. Although expensive, you're not going to use it unless it's a life-death situation. Looked at in that light, it's cheap.

The .45 that I carry usually is an AMT Backup, the smallest frame in that caliber. While true that the .45 ACP's ballistics suffer notably with that short a barrel, using the proper ammo still makes it superior to the 9mm.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 09:47 PM
Mr Bill-----I totally agree with you------

and it is so nice to actually "totally" agree with something----------:lol::lol::lol:
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 09:47 PM

Wow! wish I had the time to converse (or such) ! Are you people (mostly "men") fast typers and have the extra time to do this? Altho I love to read some of the stories here, it seems a bit over run by a handfull of posters. I like you guys, but it is really getting "clickie' here.What about the newbies that need some encouragement, response?

[Edited on 8-7-2005 by Sallysouth]
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 10:12 PM

And what does the "firearm'"thread have to do with Baja!???
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 10:19 PM
Morphing

It morphed from JR's talk of "Weeding" out people, but it's a great subject.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 10:26 PM

Okey Dokey, I still think you guys need to get a new "hobby" (just don't shoot me!) Like I said.....Baja?
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 10:35 PM
gee,it seems to me that about 80%...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
And what does the "firearm'"thread have to do with Baja!???
of what i read in the "general discussion" part of this forum has almost nothing to do with baja...but it makes for great entertainment:yes:
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2005 at 10:47 PM

Yeah, but where did all the "wimmen"go? I know Judy and Ruby are still here, and once in a while, Paulina, but I wanna know, is this a male only board now, guns and stuff? Kinda scary if you ask me(but no one did!:lol:) Ok you MEN, don't you miss the gals that used to be on this board? Just wondering ......
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 8-7-2005 at 12:33 AM
Not wusses I hope...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Yeah, but where did all the "wimmen"go? I know Judy and Ruby are still here, and once in a while, Paulina, but I wanna know, is this a male only board now, guns and stuff? Kinda scary if you ask me(but no one did!:lol:) Ok you MEN, don't you miss the gals that used to be on this board? Just wondering ......

Seems like the gals hereabouts have a tad thicker skin than most! Mucho gusto.:biggrin:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 11:59 AM
Guns-Not Just for Guys Anymore

I know plenty of Gals who like to plink around with guns, including my Wife, although she's not quite as enthused as I am.

Saw a Gal driving an old Toyota 4wd one day with a bumper sticker that said "Gals with guns are a lot more fun". My kind of woman.

I've always said that I don't dare play around on my wife. I've taught her to shoot too well. Not that I would, otherwise.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 08:16 PM

Wise man MR. Bill M!( the part about you wouldn't otherwise):saint:

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by Sallysouth]

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by Sallysouth]

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.