Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Devil Mountain
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 8-3-2005 at 09:39 AM
Devil Mountain

Thanks to whomever posted about the book " Coming home from Devil Mountain" by Eleanor Dart O'Bryon. I ordered it from Amazon. Yep still in stock. great story. for those of you that climb or anyone that knows and loves baja you would enjoy it. k:yes:

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2005 at 09:50 AM

When you're through, I'd like to read it. Could I get a library card?:biggrin:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-3-2005 at 01:35 PM
I got a copy a couple of weeks ago-----

on "half.com" for $1.75 + s&h= $4.50.

Your right, it is a good book, and a quick read. Those two are really lucky to have survived that ordeal, and also lucky that a fellow like "Bud" Bernhard was so dedicated to finding them. He hiked the mountain alone for over a week, finally finding them, one at a time. Amazing!!!
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2005 at 02:53 PM
Devil Mountain

I too got it from Amazon. $!.39 and autographed by the author. Seems to me they brought their trouble own their self'S. Everthing they did was wrong. I am bringing it to Baja to put in the Libary at KM 34 S of San felipe.

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-3-2005 at 07:07 PM

I got a cheap one too, good read. Thanks DR.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 8-3-2005 at 07:16 PM

There is another great book which discusses Del Diablo (and various other camping and climbing in Baja). It is titled quite simply "Camping and Climbing in Baja", by John W. Robinson. The book was published in 1967 by La Siesta Press. I have no idea if it is still available anywhere, but it contains a host of wonderful photos, maps, road logs along with some detailed descriptions of climbing in various areas. Another good one for the 'ol Baja library!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 02:09 AM
Baja Books

I found this old Baja book at an auction one day! it is "Baja California" by Ralph Handc-ck, a 1953 first edition of the fishing and exploring adventures of 3 guys from LA. Ray Haller, Mike McMahan and Frank Alvarado. It has lots of classic old pictures, no pavement any where!! I think I'll put it up on ebay and see what it's worth.

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
[Those two are really lucky to have survived that ordeal, and also lucky that a fellow like "Bud" Bernhard was so dedicated to finding them. He hiked the mountain alone for over a week, finally finding them, one at a time. Amazing!!!

Bud Bernhard is an animal and a local hiking legend and John Robinson is his peer.

As Dez Rat sez, ?it ain?t no walk in the park!" And DR, when you going to post a story about the Devil Mountain. Twice now? Third times a charm: April 2006!

Here is link to a trip report from 1951. Just getting to the trailhead must have been an awesome journey!
As Bob Bear notes, it is a very difficult hike.

http://angeleschapter.org/dps/archives/dps01696.htm

Now though its August, time to fish!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 02:47 PM
"Camping and Climbing in Baja"------

Desert Rat and bajaandy------I just ordered a copy of this book at "ABEbooks.com" for $9.95 total (including s & h). There are several more copies there, as well as more copies at Amazon, as well as ALIBRIS.

Don Jorge----Great article, that I had not seen before. Thanks.

McGyver------I have that book, "Baja California" by Handc-ck and you are right---it is great!!! (-:

Barry
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 03:23 PM

Let me know when you want the ride Des & Don.

;)

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 04:19 PM

OK, guys:
Here is my "secret":

http://www.addall.com/Used/

is where to find out of print books. They have 19 copies of C&C in Baja currently listed from $5 up. They search several places like ABE in seconds.

[Edited on 8-4-2005 by Neal Johns]

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 07:11 PM
Thanks, Neal------

I learn something almost every day-----that is a better site and all the ones that I am familiar with.

Thanks again.
Barry
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 09:31 PM

Barry, That's strange, I checked Albris today and they showed none in stock. (Although I already have a copy, just checking for DezRat.) But good news that you were able to find them.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 10:39 PM
Andy-----

I just checked Alibris and they have 8 copies of the book currently for sale. I can't understand why it did not come up for you and Des Rat.

Try again??

Barry

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.