Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: More Storms???? Nora and Olaf
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 09:05 AM
More Storms???? Nora and Olaf

The predicitons of the storm tracks are taking these to Baja as well. Has anyone heard anything about what might be happening. Check out these track sites from NOAA
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/EP14/refresh/EP1403W5+G...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/EP15/refresh/EP1503W5+G...
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 09:16 AM

From everything I've read both storms are currently increasing in intensity but are expected to die out considerably before they hit shore.

Nora most certainly, it seems, will head across the Baja peninsula. Olaf is now predicted to track northeast up the Gulf.

We should all get a better idea of strength and direction by mid-week. We can only pray that the peninsula will be spared this time.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 09:34 AM

The most interesting aspect of this current duo is that
NHC is forecasting the centers of Nora and Olaf to be
within approx two-hundred miles of each other on Late
Thursday with the systems overlapping. Anyone remember
seeing that and what effect it had ?
I just returned from the San Felipe area last Monday.
Being that far North, our Marty damage was mainly from
a lot of rain and little wind. I had thought that our
cleanup was over until the Winter Storms. We're return-
tomorrow and had planned on staying through early
November. Guess I can plan on more cleanup and repairs.
I would expect that there will be a lot more rain,
if nothing else, from this mess.
Unfortunately, it looks like the folks down South are
going to get hit hard once again.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 09:57 AM
PERFECT STORM!

Looks like another tough week for the people of lower Baja.:no:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 10:30 AM
STORMS ???

LaTijereta, are you in Loreto? We plan on leaving the Keys in about two weeks.

How abnormal are all these hurricanes slamming Baja? Don't seem to remember Baja as being such a hurricane magnet?
Maybe it's me! Went to Belize 2001, Sittee and Placencia and they got whacked right after I left.....egads.

All the Amigos will be chipping in to keep me in Florida.........see you soon.

Capt. George
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 10:41 AM

Hola George!
I am here safe in Diamond Bar.. but want to drive down later thihs month if these storms (roads) stay open:yes:
This has been a "late" season for the Eastern Pacific, just as fishing has been late this year:O

Kristian
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 01:21 PM
LaTijereta

Kristian, if you get a chance E me at home before we leave for Baja...

4000 miles for us, hauling my Dusky..

dadgcp@msn.com

George
I hope our Baja brothers don't get hit again!!
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 02:34 PM

one of my neighbors is driving down tommorow. When I get a report back I will post the details.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 04:03 PM
Nora and Olaf

These two seem to be veering off to the right and should miss Loreto....unless something else happens. I doubt we need more rain in Loreto right now.:biggrin:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 04:16 PM
HURRICANES

Man, I hope they miss Baja! The Choyeros have had more then their share of grief this year!

Will help however we can.....

George & Deborah
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 08:31 PM
Storms

We're in Bahia de Los Angeles and no signs of problems but the folks are paying full attention as the two fronts approach. As for today, Sunday, high clouds and calm seas. Dry, warm weather, 91 degrees at peak. Warm water in the bay and 7 whale sharks reported at south end. For those who asked, we arrived here safe from Gonzaga Bay and San Felipe. We'll be here 'til ~ 10/11. YaaaaHHHoo!
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 09:07 PM

Latest, 8pm Sunday, predicted path has Nora coming right over La Paz. Hope it doesn't take that right turn they sure need a break!
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 09:58 PM

Weather Channel just said (11pm mdt Sunday) that Nora might weaken as it heads north into more stable conditions

(10-05) 20:36 PDT PUERTO VALLARTA, Mexico (AP) --

Hurricane Nora and Hurricane Olaf churned Monday toward the tip of the Baja California peninsula, a region still recovering from two hurricanes that hit in recent weeks.

The two, powerful storms were expected to collide by midweek, and would likely affect the other's path. Hurricane Nora was expected to hit the upscale Cabo San Lucas resort late Wednesday, while forecasters predicted Hurricane Olaf would move north up the Pacific coast, sideswiping Cabo San Lucas and turning inland near Culiacan, 640 miles northwest of Mexico City.

However, forecasters at the National Hurricane Center in Miami warned that the path of the two storms could change as they interacted south of Cabo San Lucas.

Resort cities up and down Mexico's popular Pacific coast braced for high winds and rain.

Hurricane Olaf's outer bands were expected to lash Puerto Vallarta on Monday as the storm moved north up the coast. Officials canceled classes and turned schools into makeshift shelters, urging residents to leave low-lying homes.

Hurricane Olaf churned Sunday 110 miles southwest of Manzanillo and had slowed to 7 mph. It packed winds of 75 mph.

Hurricane Nora was far off the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula, but forecasters expected the storm to head east toward Cabo San Lucas, a resort known for its golf courses and deep-sea fishing.

Tropical Storm Larry, meanwhile, hit land at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico early Sunday and faded to a tropical depression as it crept south over the low-lying state of Tabasco.

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 07:09 AM
Thanks for the report

Hi Larry ,We are still leaving this morning. Maybe we will see you down there. If Nora and Olaf hit to hard we make come back up to BOLA and San felipe, We are just taking it one day at a time. Have a good trip,k:spingrin::bounce::tumble:
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 09:02 AM

As of this morning Nora has been downgraded to a tropical storm and Olaf is closer to the mainland. Time will tell for us all. I'm leaving Sun Valley on Wed, spending a couple days in Vegas with my brother , family dinner Friday in Laguna Beach and Baja with mom on Saturday.
Still planning first night in Ensenada, next night BOLA, next Mulege and then La Ventana 14th-22nd, 2 nights in Cabo before mom flies home, then back to LV.
On the way out will be in San Ignacio on the 9th. Might do a few days at Camachos Camp along the way and a day in Loreto.
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 11:14 AM
Nora/Olaf 12pm mdt udate

Just saw nora/olaf report on weather channel and things are looking better. As of noon today Nora is 235 miles sw of Cabo and stationary with 65mph winds. The main concern I think was what Olaf was going to do. It is much closer to the main land and is downgrading. Now has 40 mph winds so should not be much of a factor to baja. But of course that may change.:cool:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 02:46 PM

Last forecast has Nora continuing to weaken. Sustained winds now look to be about 45 kt. I think we are going to dodge this particular bullet.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 03:32 PM
GOOD BYE STORMS ?

Looks like one will miss, and the other is down to 45 MPH.....get more wind from my A/C................

Baja has had it's share for this year, hope they see no more.....

Capt. Sharky, we gonna meet up for a whole lot of BS? I hope so, get all the old timers together for a yada-yada meet, I would enjoy nothing more...

See you in Loreto,

Capt. George

PS...Maybe we can intice Skeet & Virginia.
AcuDoc
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 10-6-2003 at 04:32 PM
Latest 6pm mdt 10/6

Yes it looks like Olaf will miss Baja and Nora may not be around much longer.
Here is the latest:
Nora weakens while Olaf threatens Mexico
10/6/2003 5:58 P.M.
Tom Moore, Senior Meteorologist, The Weather Channel
Tropical Storm Olaf has become a bit better organized on Monday afternoon. It is now believed Olaf will make landfall along the west-central Mexican coast early on Tuesday. Rough seas, above normal tides and locally heavy rain will occur close to where Olaf comes ashore. Tropical Storm Nora, located about 325 miles SW of Cabo San Lucas, has weakened to 45 mph and continues on a downward trend. Nora may dissipate on Tuesday. Meanwhile, forecasters are watching the remains of Larry (a former Gulf of Mexico storm) as they drift across southern Mexico from the Bay of Campeche into the Gulf of Tehuantepec. The system will either dissipate over land or emerge again on the Pacific side.
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 09:11 PM
Nora & Olaf

Nora looks dead to me. I wonder what those high clouds are doing over Baja? Olaf is not giving up. As I look at the satilite tonight I think tomorrow we will see he is once again a hurracane. It really started spinning in the afternoon.
Olaf please go away! Leave the good people of Mexico alone.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.