BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: slide in truck campers......
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 04:06 PM

I bolted through the floor of my 4 wheel pop up on a 95 T-100 in four places (existing holes :() Did not line up with the frame, bad.. Ended up poping the welds of the bed away from the frame..It never popped off, but I ended up getting rid of the truck shortly after..

7 1/2 foot camper on a 6 foot bed = no bueno
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 09:49 PM
Slide-in considerations

I have a 93 Lance 9-4 slide in, as you know. It's the Squire version, which was not the top of the line at the time. Now, they are calling these the Lance Lites.

I went with the 9-4 version because I have a heavy boat that I tow; its about 8500 lbs. Anything longer than 9-6 would have forced me to use a hitch extension that would have been technically illegal and dangerous to tow for any real distance. The 9-4 version I have has no rear bumper and has the aluminum "facia" removed from the lower rear area. This allows the license plate to still be visible; no removing when you take the Lance off. This is easy to do and not uncommon for large capacity towers (hmm, there's a synonym I just discovered).

In talking to some of the Lance salesman, they admitted that once you go above the 9-6 (no more 9-4s anymore) versions of the Lance, you are at your legal GVWR limit for a 3/4 ton truck. They recommended a 1 ton. That's what I have, but it was mostly due to finding a good used deal.

Of course, a 1 ton truck means a very different ride when the cabover is NOT on, unless you have coil springs up front. On sections of fwy that have been laid in sections, you may want to issue your female ridealongs a sports bra.:lol: It is almost impossible to mitigate this unless you drop the air in your tires to a decidely non-optimized level.

We have downsized to this from a 24 foot class C. It was much more comfy but I saw the handwriting on the wall when gas hit 1.60 a gallon and sold it off. ANY CLASS C, EVEN THE NEW ONES, CAN LEGALLY ONLY TOW ABOUT 3500 LBS. so that was also a consideration. We now carry creature comforts that let us relax outside, instead of inside.

I have a good friend who owned a Northstar pop-up camper; an 8 footer. I had to admit it was versatile in where it would go but it did not have a john (big + for women) and indoor shower. But the main complaint he had was that in winds over 15 knots, the canvas sides would make quite a bit of noise that made sleeping problematic. In really bad winds, he felt that there was a danger of the canvas separating from its anchor points. He usually dropped it which mean he and the current girlfriend were relegated to the dinette area.

Here are my recommendations:

1-absolutely do NOT buy a new one. The traderonline publications are filled with late model units that people have deemed "too small" for their needs. New additions to the family have a way of doing that. These things work best for two people. Decide what you want and be patient. My was spotless; I got it for 2800.00 with a 2 year old A/C unit the previous owner had installed by the Lance dealer.

Of course I have backed into a tree limb and the neighborhood basketball hoop since. :rolleyes:

2-if you travel single mostly, look at the 8-foot models. They lose the most value as used ones and they are the most common ones found, used. You will find many of these being dumped for 1/2 their price new and with only 2-4 uses! BUT BE SURE YOU ARE HAPPY WITH THE LAYOUT. The 8 foot versions are also narrower than all the others, at least in the Lance line.

The longer you go, the less clearance your tail end has on severe, offroad dips. Unless you lift the whole truck, of course, which costs you mileage on the pavement.

3-absolutely get one with an outdoor shower. Mine has both an indoor and an outdoor. I prefer the outdoor one where temperature and privacy allow, but they are also convenient for rinsing rods/reels, dive gear, and the cabeza in really hot weather.

4-look for ones newer than 10-12 years old. After that, the fridge life may be a question mark. If older than that factor in the cost of a new fridge. Camping World is the place to get them.

5-buy one with (or install) a Fantastic Vent. This is a brand name for a vent with a 3 speed intake/exhaust fan built into the vent housing. By using it as an exhaust fan, you will clear the cabin of heat fast and you will draw cooler outer air through any open window. This can be really valuable on hot nights when you crack only the window next to the bed. Get one with a thermostatic control; you can set it to start when the temp hits a certain value. Everyone who owns one loves them! About 150.00 and easy to install.

6-if possible, find one with the electric jacks for raising the camper up and down. This is a big plus and, unfortunately, one that I dont have; mine are hydraulic manual pumps. But I also dont have a monthly payment.:bounce: And since I have a diesel, the Lance only costs me about 1 mpg difference. That's worth it to me to leave it on all the time. My commute is very short. Bob H can tell you the versatility of being able to drop the Lance off the back of the truck quickly with the remote control electric jacks.

7-A/C is nice to have, especially if you plan on camping in high heat/humidity. They will require a generator or an electrical hookup. I carry a Honda 2000 with me if I suspect it might get uncomfortable......but I almost never bring it. Newer Lances have generator options from the 9-6 model up.

In closing, I'd just say that diesels are no bed of roses to operate but their benefits in operating costs and towing capability are worth it. You really should give them 3-5 minutes warm-up each morning, so think about your neighbors and how they will react. They are cold-blooded beasts. And they are loud, especially the Cummins (Dodge). Plus the added weight (diesel and the camper) has you watching out for really deep sand (as you saw at La Bocana).

Slide-outs are really a plus in the TTs, 5th wheels and RVs I've been in. I have also been in the new Lances with a slide-out; very nice!

If you decide that diesel is for you, start a new thread and watch the Ford/Dodge debate rage. I get about 13.5 mpg with the Lance on and about 14.5-15.0 w/o it. I have the 3.73 rear axle on a Ford with the 7.3L PSD. I use a programmer and have a K&N filter and a flow-thru exhaust with a 3.5 inch drop from the turbo. 37 gallon tank, so plenty of range. But diesels are "specific purpose" vehicles. Either you want them for their range or you want them for their hauling capacity. If you can get by without needing one or both of those, then I would probably go with a used gasser.

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by Hook]

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by Hook]
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 06:13 PM

Excellent post Mr. Hook.

Corky :saint: :lol:

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 10:25 PM

Looked at the LANCE today....good units....liked the 9'6" size myself....think I saw the LITE model.....should work with the 3/4 ton OK......may need a 12" extension to tow for me.....priced around $18k.....
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 06:04 AM

Do the math...

$18,000 WOW!!!
If you got a nice hotel for $40 a nite...

and used the camper 15 days a year on vacation (two weeks)

you'd break EVEN in 30 YEARS!!!!!!:saint::saint:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 07:12 AM

If you look at it in terms of $$$ you are correct....but where I go there are NO hotels...remote beaches or desert..."in the middle of nowhere".....

and what happens when the hotel is "full"?.....
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 09:50 AM

i believe the camper is a tax write off-considered a second home kind of thing. jim, check outfittermfg.com.they make the best slide in pop-up campers(imho)aluminum frame= light,strong and no rot.the site has a clip from a four wheel drive magazine-a ford with one of their campers in baja,etc

i too love tent camping but sometimes the wind and rain get to be a bit much so it's nice to be able to hang out in relative comfort.i don't mind the set-up and tear down, but it is so much easier to have it all in camper and just pull up, set out the chairs and crack a cold one:D
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 11:12 AM
Surfer Jim

Step away from the Lance Dealers and put your hands behind your head. :yes:

Seriously, there is no reason to get a new one unless you are simply impatient. The big ticket items that CAN fail (AC/fridge) only total about 2000.00 INSTALLED. A carry along Honda 2000 generator is another 1k (much less than what the dealer wants for an installed model, much less versatile, much heavier and much louder than the Hondas).

However, the Honda will only work on the A/C units that have the lowest BTU rating by Duo-therm. Be sure and get one with that, IF A/C IS A BIG CONCERN OF YOURS. I get the feeling that you are a Pacific-side kind of guy, though, and you would really never need A/C over there.

All the other potential failures are easily fixed as the plumbing/electrical, etc. are very accessible. Maybe the biggest problem area to look for on a used one are signs of water intrusion from the roof. Check all storage compartments up high for signs of water damage. If you see it, steer clear.

On the tow extension, I have a 12" one, too, and that's fine for towing up to around 5000 lbs as I recall. I tow friends boats, too. It also provide a convenient place to mount a step for quick entry on the road. For in camp, get one of the accordion-like aluminum stairs.

[Edited on 8-9-2005 by Hook]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 02:43 PM

Hook thinks a lot like I do when it comes to slide-in's. The only different thing I would do would to have a 1-ton diesel super-cab instead of the V-10 (which is adequate engough but lacks the torch that the desiel provides). Automatic jacks are a must - we can slide ours off in less than 20 minutes without any hassle at all. We absolutely love taking it to places where there is no other place around. Tent camping got old for us many years ago, then we had an F150 with a carpet kit and topper for 10 years, camping in the back of that. So, now we just love our rig and have taken it places than no other motor home could make it to. We bought ours new, but I looked and looked and looked for a used one that would suit us and it just wasn't there. So, we stepped up to the plate and bought new and got exactly what we wanted. Plenty of storage (plus we put our tandum kayak on top on longer trips).

10-days in Mulege is an example.... YES! It was GREAT!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 03:06 PM

With over 20years chasing around the Baja and the Mainland with cabover camper Hook knows what he is talking about I couldn't add a thing for my part.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 03:26 PM

If you're going to be doing a lot of traveling in Baja, remember diesel here is about 20% less per liter than gasoline. I prefer the extended cab rather than the 4 door for the shorter wheelbase and I don't have to haul a lot of passengers.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 05:05 PM
Are the stars aligned?

Jim, when I was searching for my 9-4/9-6 model in the Traderonline, it took me a year to find the right one. I soon discovered that these two were the rarest ones to find used. This is because people that tow big loads know that this is the maximum size you can go.

I just did a search and there are no less that SIX used Lance's in the 9-4/6 category! The LS-4000 is a 9-4/6 model. There are ones in Ridgecrest, Littlerock, Stanton, Los Angeles, Vista and Hesperia. All in California.

Hope this link works:

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/adsearch/rvsearchprocess.html

One tip in using the Trader search engine. Enter an amount between 1 dollar and the uppermost limit you want to spend. By indicating a dollar (instead of zero) you will weed out the dealers who prefer to advertise new units without listing a price. There's a lot of them.Choose California or only the area codes you want to drive to.

[Edited on 8-10-2005 by Hook]
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 07:07 PM
Bob & Susan...

Your point is well taken, and one I have used about the Diesel-vs-Gas power - takes forever to get your investment back, and with today's fuel prices, probably never. A diesel is great of hauling around one of those humongous 5th wheel 'whales', but for most of the rest of us a gas fueled rig would most likely fill the bill.

...again about those $40 motels...kinda hard to find out in the boonies - but you're right about the investment figures!

Today, my 'perfect' rig would be a 4WD Ford HD extra-cab (for better turning radius), with V-10 (gas hog) pulling power, and a utility body on the back replacing the pick-up bed - you can get them now with a shape that matches the cab's profile (not a square, boxy one) and has all those dirt-proof compartments for your 'extra' gear and the Honda quiet generator. Of course I'd go for lower gearing, electric locker in the rear end, maybe a winch up front, etc, etc. Then slide in a 4wheel type pop-up camper to finish off the 'package' - a perfect Baja, Outback, Rig!...Got $ 65K or so....?

Over the years we've pretty much done it all...when the kids were toddlers, we had a 23ft, van/MoHo with bunk beds in back...towed the glass bodied VW dune buggy or the sand rail behind for fun stuff in the desert and on the beach.

Later went to a FWD pickup and towed a small camp trailer that we could get through most back roads. Had lots of fun in that rig as the kids got older and more mobile.

The last few years, we're back to tent camping with a small trailer behind our Bronco to carry the extra stuff for camp (just two of us now). It's a better rig when you want to really get out back on some of the 'tighter' places - but you still have to unload your stuff, set up the tent, and then stow all the stuff when you move on...can be real pain for a short o'nite stop!

As above, I'd sure vote the HD pickup with a pop-up camper as the best over-all rig for Baja's outback - for two souls, that is!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 08:24 PM

Susan's family ALWAYS had those gas eating motorhomes....so we always did the math....when we saw them sitting at the house.
:lol::lol:

We took a motorhome ONCE!!! After Susan filled the tank and cleaned and cooked...we NEVER took it again:lol::lol:

The power of the diesel we have is outstanding...WOW!!!
The thing is just too high off the ground...i always need a ladder.
It does pull the boat...no problem.

My ole Suburban would have lost a tranny easily on the Santa Rosalia grade. I lost it going to Barstow.

PS Mexray, I need batteries..... :lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 09:23 PM
Bob & Susan...

I've got four new (in Feb) 6volt, golf cart batt's over on the beach if you need em...They have been hooked up to my small solar panels, and should be in top shape...let me know if you want em...Ray

[Edited on 8-10-2005 by Mexray]

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 09:54 PM
I need to check Kelly Blue Book...

.....for the resale value of those 40.00 hotel rooms, too.:lol:

But Bob and Susan's thinking is sound if you don't have the "adventurer" mentality. I think you do.

Mexray's points are well taken. He probably IS describing the ultimate Baja vehicle in terms of versatility and ability to conquer the most driving conditions. It's either that or one of those pricey 4x4 Sportmobile, E-350 Ford van chassis vehicles. But , then, you're storing your tools and extras inside your living space.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2005 at 10:36 PM
Ever see a truck tent

Pretty handy during the time I visit Mulege. Perfect for side trips. No critters or sand and a nice fit in the Hemi. Just have to unload the back is all.

[Edited on 8-16-2005 by Sharksbaja]
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2005 at 10:01 AM
SLIDE INS

Bought an F350 4x4 diesel (with ARBS fore and aft plus winch) in 1998 with an 8ft Lance to spend a year exploring Baja. Terrible camper choice - far too heavy even though it was the smallest Lance on a 1 ton truck.

Sold the Lance for my second go at Baja and bought a Northstar (RC Willett) pop-top. This is the perfect camper for Baja - airy (be sure to put in a Fantastc Vent over the bed for those 105 degree nights) and light. Solar panels on the roof and 2 golf cart batteries. We could go anywhere.

I added a service body to the truck - tons of room but heavy. Not sure if I's do that again, but do love it.
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2005 at 10:17 AM

I've been traveling Baja for several years in a full size, extended cab, diesel, 4x4 with a Four Wheel pop up camper. The pop up camper, while expensive, allowed us to be relatively comfortable even in remote areas. If you look at the cost, as others have mentioned, hotels are probably cheaper in the long run, but for those who like to access more remote areas, hotels aren't an option. It also allowed us to travel more comfortably with small children and we didn't have to rush to get to the next hotel/lodging. We made camp wherever we wanted. On a side note, I'm actually going to be selling mine because my family has gotten bigger and we are running out of room. Not quite sure what we are going to do at this point.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2005 at 02:51 PM

Got any details of your rig/camper?.....photo?...

What places have you been to?.....favorite area?.....
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.