BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: slide in truck campers......
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 07:24 AM

The rig is a Dodge Diesel, extra cab, 4x4, with KORE Suspension with 35 inch tires. It has big bumpers, winch, pul-pal, recovery equipment, etc. The camper is a Four Wheel Pop Up, Grandby with most options. 3 way Fridge, electric fan, heater, awning, extended bed, etc. It's comfortable, but still light weight and low profile. It's big enough to sleep four people, but small enough to make you want to spend more time outside. It has a fridge, stove, and porta-potti. We use a Sun Shower to keep things simple.

We've taken this set up to Gonzaga, Punta Santa Rosalillita, Punta Pequena (from the North), La Purisima to Loreto, East Cape, the Pacific coast up from Colonet, mountains around Tecate. It will go anywhere, it's just finding the time to get there. We have a comfortable range of 400-500 miles and can stay self contained (with kids and dogs) for about 5 days (water and ice start to limit us).

Camper is for sale, I'm keeping the truck.
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 07:30 AM

This is on the north road from Punta Pequena
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 07:31 AM

same spot different view
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 07:32 AM

side shot
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 07:33 AM

let's try this again..............I'm new to the forum
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 07:33 AM

interior.............There is a fold down bed on the right and then a queen size bed over the cab.
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 07:36 AM

As far as a favorite area, it's hard to say, we've been going to Baja for almost 20 years and it really depends on what kind of a trip it is. I think one of the prettiest places I've been is San Basilio/San Juanico. Usually though, I'm partial to the places with water and sand.
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 11:22 AM

Marek -

Who built your back bumper? It looks pretty stout with 4 cans and a tire on swing away pivots. I also have a 4 wheeler, but on a 4-door 4wd Tundra and am really loving it. There's nothing like an instant camp when you get to a campsite after dark and hungry.
TacoFeliz
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 11:27 AM

Marek -

Another dumb question... Do you unload your roof box every time you put your roof up? Mine came with a Yakima box and any weight in it seems to make raising the roof a superhuman task. I'd like to carry two kayaks somehow but also avoid having to unload them every time I pop the top. Any suggestions?
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 11:55 AM

The rear bumper was built by 4x4labs ( www.4x4labs.com ). They do great work and the bumper is stout. I can stand on the swing aways while they are fully loaded. The spindles they use are rated to 7500 pounds. They are fully Baja tested and proven.

Generally, we don't have to unload the roof, but we try to keep only the light weight stuff up top because it does get heavy pretty quickly.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 02:05 PM

Cool rig!
Who needs hotel rooms, right?

An afterthought...is it for a long bed?

[Edited on 8-15-2005 by bajajudy]

TacoFeliz
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 03:46 PM

Thanks for the info. After camping on the ground all my life this is like having a hotel room in the boonies.
marek
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2005 at 05:00 PM

BajaJudy,

It is for a long bed. They say it will fit on a shortbed, with the tailgate down, but you also limit your towing capability at that point because you need an hitch extender.

My rig suits us well. The truck is big, but can go pretty much any place I need to take it. It's got plenty of power and the diesel averages 15 mpg with camper in Baja, and much of that is on dirt roads. With the price of diesel in Baja, it's cheaper for me to be on vacation.

I've had smaller trucks in the past, but with a wife, kids, and two dogs, it gets pretty crowded.
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 04:15 PM

Great thread! I have a couple related questions to throw in for those experience Baja truck campers.

I'm restoring an older Toyota truck based pop-up camper (but not a slide-in). I kept looking at, and bumping into, that Suburban propane heater and guessed I'd never really need to use it with mostly Baja camping. With space at a premium, I decided to take it out and turned the space it took up into a cabinet for a tool box, jumper cables, tow straps and the like.

Does anyone with a heater like this find much use for it camping in Baja? The interior is so small it seems boiling water for a cup of coffee and issuing a hearty frijole pedo would be sufficient for warmth on a cold Baja winter morning. I just hope I don't regret taking out the heater...although maybe my wife will. :yes:

Also, the camper body is made of fiberglass. Anyone have any experience with the twisting effects from Baja back roads on a fiberglass body?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 04:19 PM

Think it was probably a good move removing the heater. I did the same in our trailer here. They use a lot of electricity for the fan - which if you're boondocking, you can't afford. Lots of other ways to provide the small amount of heat required (unless you're camping at the observatory in Jan.)

:rolleyes:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 04:21 PM

Camote
I am not a big heater user anyway but I have never felt like I needed one even in the winter.
I think that you made a wise move making the space for things you might actually use.

TacoFeliz
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 04:56 PM

Mine came with a heater and I've only turned it on once to test it. A couple of minutes heating something on the stove is enough for most times (I hate snow, so that's not a factor). The test run on the heater drove me out. The thermostat impresses guests.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 05:30 PM

was at a DODGE dealer today and saw picture and specs on their new POWER WAGON ....guess it is new for 2005....this thing looks like a great truck to start with and match it with a lighter weight camper.....anybody know anything about these?.....

If I have time I may stop in Riverside Saturday to look at the GRANDBY and I think 6 pac...both at the same location.....

Last year I bought a BLACK CAT heater for my camper shell.....felt good at Christmas down at the SISTERS .....
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 06:07 PM

OK you want to spend a lot of money:

Try thishttp://www.unicat.net/en/index2-Unicatour.html

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2005 at 06:55 PM

Awesome thread. I'll be in this market in 4-5 years for some serious family exploration.

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.