Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sunday afternoon in Baja
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 06:02 PM
Sunday afternoon in Baja

This has been a great Sunday afternoon here in Baja Calif. And kind of typical for this time of year. Went out this morning and it was 90 on the patio. Cloudy to the west and a little humid. The temp and humidity rose till about 1230p then a breeze started blowing off the Sea. 4-5 mph maybe. Just enouth to be comfortable. Then about 3p the unusual happened, wind shifted to coming from the west at maybe 10 mph. Humidity dropped and life is good. Thunder rolling over the Valle Chico and Sierra San Felipe but no rain here. Thunderclouds over Diablo and the Sierra San Pedro Matir as they are most afternoons. 6p, still cloudy to the NW but no clouds over Diablo. Still have the breeze from the west. A very comfortable evening is coming up. 99 deg on the paito.

Don't you wish you were here??

:saint:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
This has been a great Sunday afternoon here in Baja Calif. And kind of typical for this time of year. Went out this morning and it was 90 on the patio. Cloudy to the west and a little humid. The temp and humidity rose till about 1230p then a breeze started blowing off the Sea. 4-5 mph maybe. Just enouth to be comfortable. Then about 3p the unusual happened, wind shifted to coming from the west at maybe 10 mph. Humidity dropped and life is good. Thunder rolling over the Valle Chico and Sierra San Felipe but no rain here. Thunderclouds over Diablo and the Sierra San Pedro Matir as they are most afternoons. 6p, still cloudy to the NW but no clouds over Diablo. Still have the breeze from the west. A very comfortable evening is coming up. 99 deg on the paito.

Don't you wish you were here??

:saint:

You dog! :lol:

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
The weather started out pleasant as I fired up the airless paint compressor at 6:00 AM. It felt warmer by our 9:30 break, but we had a pleasant breeze on the monorail platform over the main entrance that was absent anywhere else on the fairgrounds. By 12:00, I felt the heat as I lied on the black felt paper we were using as shields as I sprayed blue concrete stain on the recessed panels adjacent to the ground on the concrete tree planters in front of the main gate. From that point, it only got hotter and grittier as overspray dried on my neck and arms. The day before, I painted the stripes on the concrete, monolith walls of the front gate, and the edges turned out jagged. Today I tried a new technique that remedied the problem, but there is still much ugliness to correct on the parts that were earlier painted if I am given the time to do it. At 4:00, it is a dry heat but a hot dry heat. I retreat the air conditioned comfort of my home. There is no beach anywhere near here, and I have to start work again tomorrow at 6:00 AM. Life is good - but not that good.

There is no beach anywhere near here****where ya at Pack?

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 07:38 PM
Sunday afternoon working at Cal Expo

The weather started out pleasant as I fired up the airless paint compressor at 6:00 AM. It felt warmer by our 9:30 break, but we had a pleasant breeze on the monorail platform over the main entrance that was absent anywhere else on the fairgrounds. By 12:00, I felt the heat as I lied on the black felt paper we were using as shields as I sprayed blue concrete stain on the recessed panels adjacent to the ground on the concrete tree planters in front of the main gate. From that point, it only got hotter and grittier as overspray dried on my neck and arms. The day before, I painted the stripes on the concrete, monolith walls of the front gate, and the edges turned out jagged. Today I tried a new technique that remedied the problem, but there is still much ugliness to correct on the parts that were earlier painted if I am given the time to do it. At 4:00, it is a dry heat but a hot dry heat. I retreat the air conditioned comfort of my home. There is no beach anywhere near here, and I have to start work again tomorrow at 6:00 AM. Life is good - but not that good.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 07:40 PM

Irishman, you caught me trying to correct my post by deleting and reposting. I can not stand to have the "Edited on such and such date" under my posts. I had to edit in the "Sunday afternoon at Cal Expo" heading.

[Edited on 07/17/2004 by Packoderm]
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 07:43 PM

Sorry about that Pack - I don't have A/C so rely on the breezes to keep cool.

Oh,during the day, I took a 5th wheel hitch and it's support brackets off of one of my trucks - then changed the rear tires from one to the other. Goint to sell one (I hope). Tomorrow, more work on the truck, taking stuff off etc. I did drink 9 20 oz bottles of ice tea and 5 pint bottles of water - so far that is.

:yes:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 08:45 PM

Just another day in Baja, eh Lou? You make it sound so routine. A good routine, mind you!
Thanks for taking us away, if only for a little while.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 11:54 PM
Sometimes it's necessary Pack ....

Lou, how much precip do you get?
Any at all in summer, ever??

Ok I admit it now. Never been to S. Filipe but never say never.

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
Irishman, you caught me trying to correct my post by deleting and reposting. I can not stand to have the "Edited on such and such date" under my posts. I had to edit in the "Sunday afternoon at Cal Expo" heading.

[Edited on 07/17/2004 by Packoderm]

but I know what ya mean about editing notations.
But when I add pics or resources it doesn't mean I've chickened out and changed the threads. That's pretty cheap. I've noticed many more from some lately tho :o
Other times, brain-farts are to blame and it's perfectly alright to go back right away and change it. Just don't wait till people read and reply.

Take me for instance, toast from the tourist biz. Make hay while you can. Or in my case, Boullibaise:lol:

Nice to know you earn it the good ol' way Packo!

Now if I could figure out what I am talkin' bout.:lol:

Something about earning much needed gas money for up-coming trips.:cool:

very old post:

[Edited on 200 BC by sharksbaja]

[Edited on 12/25/00 by sharksbaja]

[Edited on 09/14/909ad by sharksbaja]

[Edited on 07/4/1776 by sharksbaja]

[Edited on 03/17/1812 by sharksbaja]

[Edited on 10/1/1864 by sharksbaja]

[Edited on 02/29/1928 by sharksbaja]

[Edited on 05/12/1953 by sharksbaja]

[Edited on 07/12/2005 by sharksbaja]
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 07:56 AM
Followed by an uncommon night

Well, Sharks, they say a 2" per year average for this area. But the mountains to the west - Sierra San Pedro Matir get much more. This time of year there are thunderstorms there almost daily. Locally though, we had a storm drop about 1+ inch here a couple weeks ago.

Last evening nature's light show started about 7pm to the south. Then while checking Mars out at about 1am the light show got better. lightning to the NW and S both. Then 4am the wind woke me - blowing from the W probably 25mph with rain blowing in the windows. Get up ahd shut th west side windows and listen to the rain, sometimes heavy for about a hour. (Oh yes, a rush to roll up truck windows - prett late on that tho).

Just went and checked, looks like about another 1+ inch. So guess we have the years quota already and I can not wory about the Sept storms.

:biggrin:

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 09:39 AM

Lou
Where do you think that 2 inch average rainfall figure for San Feliupe comes from? You have been here in San Felipe as long as or a little longer than me and I only remember one year where we only got 2 inches. All the years have had more than 2 inches and several years have had a lot more than two inches. Do you think global warming is turning San Felipe into a rain forest or have all the palm trees planted in front of the new developments fooled mother nature?
Days like sunday are for exploring canyons (like Provedencia) not working on cars.
burro bob
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 09:51 AM

You're right about that Rob - The 24" in 97 took care of a lot of years averages. I think you've hit it on the head - all these plams. Ah yes, exploring the canyons. Sooo much better but I'm on short time with the truck work. I'll be gone Wed/Thurs and maybe Fri. but other than that, stop by.

Got any new pictures to post?

:coolup:

[Edited on 8-8-2005 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by burro bob
Lou
Where do you think that 2 inch average rainfall figure for San Feliupe comes from?

Days like sunday are for exploring canyons (like Provedencia) not working on cars.
burro bob

Rain Gauge:

I think the 'official' rain gauge must be indoors at the tourist bureau. Mine is in my back yard a 1/4 mile from bajalou and measures a lot more than two inches a year, that's for sure. Of course it is next to 3 palm trees, hummm?

Buggy Rides:

Yea, Lou and I chased a thunderstorm once from San Felipe all the way to the base of El Diablo, as far as the buggies could go. Wish I was there now to do it again, oh well, we'll be home in 2 months.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 11:57 AM

Don't think we'd have to run very far today - black clouds cofering the Sierra San Felipe - plenty of thunder - no rain yet but expect a bit more. For those that might not know, the Sierra San Felipe are th moutains just W of powerline road.

:rolleyes:

No Bad Days

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.