Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New Forum?
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 07:03 PM
New Forum?

Doug thanks for your herculean(sp?) effort in accomodating all the folks who have drifted over from the old Amigos Board.

It seems to me that much of the communication is purely social in nature, not of general interest to many. Stuff that could even be handled by email, but is interspersed throughout many of the topic specific forums.

Would it be possible to open a forum called "Social BS" or whatever you would like to call it, I, for one, promise never to post in that area. Thanks!

[Edited on 10-6-2003 by Tucker]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 09:52 PM

Tucker, there already is the two boards (and a lot more) here...

Before Amigos went to the new style forum (like Nomad now has), Eric created a Q & A board for the hard core, info. only posts. The Baja story telling and 'general Baja discussion' that most people enjoy stayed on the main board.

When Amigos retired, Doug's 'main' board was called the Q & A board, even though it was used for 'amigo conversations'. Doug changed the name to 'General Baja Discussion' and then created a new 'Q & A' board, for just that. You couldn't have a more accomodating board host, could you?

As always, one may just click on to the board(s) of his/her choice OR click on 'Today's Posts' and see all the recent activity from all boards here. You still can then choose to read everything new or just what interests you.

Now, on a personal note, I sure hope you are prepared for a third and maybe fourth hurricane... One is headed right for you, again. Please let us know if you are okay, just as soon as you can. You are an Amigo and a Nomad who have people concerned up north! Take care of yourself, Sr. Tucker!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 10:39 PM

I think what Tucker is asking for is a board where people can say things like, "Hey man, did you hear about what who told whom about so-and-so; keep a lid on it; it's supposed to be a secret!" - and stuff like that.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 10:44 PM

Tucker,

Basically, I would've indicated something similar to what David K has pointed out.

I'm noticing that people are wandering off-topic even within the threads quite often. I'm hoping it's not THAT big of a deal, as rearranging all of that is another job in itself.

Do you think there's a better way to arrange the boards here to accomodate the point you've brought forward?

Hope Nora & Olaf ease off well enough for you.

Thanks,
--
Doug Means

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
I think what Tucker is asking for is a board where people can say things like, "Hey man, did you hear about what who told whom about so-and-so; keep a lid on it; it's supposed to be a secret!" - and stuff like that.

Which the "off-topic" forum would handle well.... and would break up the political overload there too.

How about some humor over there also?

:coolup:

Regards,
--
Doug Means

[Edited on 10-6-2003 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 03:03 AM
HUMOR

Doug, the board is fine. It's just that many of us tend to wander (Nomads?).

With so many different viewpoints someone is bound to get their nose out of joint occasionally...but I really believe most of us enjoy one anothers banter.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity.

Capt. George
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 06:33 AM
I like Tucker's idea.

It could be called "Baja Social Club" or "Amigos" and they could talk about girl's night out and BBBBBBBs and general matters of mutual love and affection toward each other and old times at the other board - which I truly have nothing against, but am not as drawn to as others might be.

That's why all these interest specific little niches are provided. Why not make full use of them?

It would also provide a venue for some of those who get royally peeved by my comments on political issues to get as far away from me as their feet can pitter patter them.

Yep, Tucker, I think it's a good idea....Hold onto your britches, your pooch and that nasty cat as the winds keep blowin'. - Stephanie
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 07:45 AM
David...............

I understand the structure of the board! I have no agenda here except to exchange information. I don't need the social intercourse and if I need an "Amigo" I'll get a dog.

Doug........... I hope this well thought out site does not become an aggregation of senseless chat rooms, it does seem to be moving in that direction. I hope folks will begin to police their posts to insure that they remain on track.

Thanks again!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 04:28 PM

Tucker (and Stephanie), I understand... Now, with information exchange the ONLY thing you are interested in, does the Question and Answer Board answer that need?

The main (most used) board remains General Baja Discussion (for 'general' Baja discussions or discussions generally about Baja). The Q & A board is just for information exchange and no discussions, chatting, yacking, friendship creating.

So, the Q & A board works just like Fred Metcalf's board... just info. exchange.

That's the way it was on Amigos. The folks who were 'anti BBBB' or Viva Baja or anything that resembled friends meeting friends, stayed on the Q & A Board.
PS, The reason I am discussing this is I feel partly responsible* for the influx to Doug's forums. It is my way to help Doug provide a greater discussion forum than before.

* When Amigos went off line, some panic erupted in the form of dozens of emails to my web site. Most of the Amigos that communicate with me wanted to stay together at one message board. Doug was willing to assume the task of providing a forum to handle the amount of traffic Amigos had. He is a very good person, and has proved to be beyond fair to all with no favortism (he has deleted several of my posts, lol)! So, I recommened to as many Amigos as had contact info. for, to regroup here. Other good Baja boards are listed on my web site, but my web host added the 'Hot' in front of Baja Nomad when he removed the link to Amigos.

[Edited on 10-6-2003 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 09:01 PM
David....how utterly insulting!

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 09:13 PM

You know what, Tucker? It just might be better if every conversation on Nomad?s was accessible to everybody who reads it. A bull-corn board might be impenetrably cliquish, and might discourage public discourse for us friendly types. It may be a little like two people whispering at a campfire surrounded by campers. In addition, it might be better if we Nomads and Junior Nomads channel our energies on establishing and enforcing The Oath.

Stay true - Packoderm
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 10:09 PM
To Tucker

Huh? Please email me how I was insulting. I am sorry, I am only trying to understand what you and Stephanie want. No insult was meant. Please reread my earlier posts to you. Thanks...

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tucker
Doug........... I hope this well thought out site does not become an aggregation of senseless chat rooms, it does seem to be moving in that direction. I hope folks will begin to police their posts to insure that they remain on track.

Just in case it doesn't seem like it, I am listening.

What course of action would you suggest?

Thank you for your candid communication of dissatisfaction (sp?)... it helps keep it to a minimum across the, ahem, "board."

Regards,
--
Doug Means

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 10:32 PM

btw...

Somewhere around here previously, I noted that the ability exists to create forums only open to particular members.

These forums can be password protected, and everyone needs to know the password....

Or, they can be set to allow only particular members, which in this event, the forum listing doesn't even display for any other users (logged in or not).

If a large enough group requested this, I would consider putting it all together for you.

Again, something I thought worth mentioning in case anyone finds this appealing....

Regards,
--
Doug Means

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 12:48 PM
Doug

The course of action that I would suggest is the one I suggested in the first post of this thread. Will it work? I don't know. Figureing these things out is why you get the big bucks. Believe me, I don't envy you!

Thanks again!
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 08:42 PM
Skeet Move over, I'm about to Leave with you

I'm tired of all the Inuendo and Holier than thou and I was here first Yadda, Yadda, Whine, Whimper.

"It could be called "Baja Social Club" or "Amigos" and they could talk about girl's night out and BBBBBBBs and general matters of mutual love and affection toward each other and old times at the other board - which I truly have nothing against, but am not as drawn to as others might be. "

If you Don't like the subject matter DON"T Click on it!
Practice what you preach.

I have never made a derogitory statement to anyone on this or any other board, but I am sick and tired of the incessant diatribe.

Skeet , Move over. I'm thinking long and hard about leaving this board.

Bedman

Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 10:45 PM
OOOOHHHHH, TOUCHY

Dear Bedman, If you know your history, if anyone on this board has a right to be peaved, it might be me. Have YOU ever been ganged up on and thrown off a board by people who call themselves "amigos". Pues, yo, si.

I'm trying to make nice- nice and just not deal with the ones who made the petition drive to get me knocked off that board. Hmmm. .... Should that include you?...It's been a long time already. I only remember a few of the lowlights.

And frankly, I don't care a whole lot whether a new forum is created or not. I just thought I would support Tucker, who was one of the few people who stood up for me when I was ostracized. He didn't say a word about it, just quit posting on Amigos in protest of the whole fiasco. Some people show what they're made of with their actions and some people b.s. with their words. At least I know which kind a few people around here are.

But I still don't see any harm in starting another forum for those who want to talk more about each other than about Baja or politics or any of the other forums covered. If it didn't get used, it could die of atrophy. If it did, it would simply make it easier for those of us who were disinterested in that kind of thing to avoid it and, conversely, those who are interested, to find it more easily. So sue me for having an opinion.

I'm perfectly capable of sharing the board with others, even those who have attacked me in the past or at present, and clicking on only the things I'm interested in is not a problem with me at all.

But do forgive me if anytime there's talk of ganging up to get rid of someone from the board, I bristle. I won't pretend that I haven't seen the ugly side of a big group of people and just hope not to see it again from new ones or old.

If you just can't stand my sanctimonious attitude, it is incumbent on YOU to either not click on anything that has my name on it and save your sanity in that way or mount yet another "get rid of Stephanie campaign" or go elsewhere. Which you choose may well say more about you than much about me.

I refuse to take responsibility for whether you or Skeet or anyone else stays or leaves this board. At least you have a choice, which is more than I was given at Amigos. Good luck whatever you choose. - Stephanie
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 11:33 PM

Stephanie, Amigos de Baja may be gone but I knew the hosts personally. There was no gang up against you, no vote of insiders, no conspiracy. It was probably your disregard for the wishes of the hosts about your continued posting, of your favorite topic (that had nothing to do with Baja travel). Same thing on Fred's bbs...

These message boards are created and operated by usually one person. It is that person's property or 'home'. We all are invited in, and some are asked to leave. This is not public property that you, me or anyone has a 'right' to use. If any of us don't respect the rules or wishes of the host, then we can have our posts deleted or be banned. It has happened to me and that's fine... it's JUST a message board.

Let's all just enjoy the exchange of information and ideas we all have, that fit the format of this forum. If you don't like a post, don't cry about it to your peers, alert the moderator with the 'report' button provided, if it warrants. As much as I don't care for Nancy Drew (Nosey), I have twice suggested to him how to appeal to viewers. That's probably a lost cause. But, I never started a campaign to ban him or anyone, ever. I believe in free speech AND in private property rights.

[Edited on 10-8-2003 by David K]

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 11:37 PM

Stephanie, I can?t speak for everybody, but you are certainly not the reason anybody is leaving this board. If anything, you have helped raise the conversations to a higher plane. If you should be yelling at anybody, it should be me. I am doing what you are unhappy about. I don?t like doing it, but I must. On the old board, you were defending yourself so much that anything pragmatic said by you almost seemed token. However, here, you seem to be standing on solid ground. We know that you lived in La Paz and you have an understanding and an appreciation for Baja society, and we respect you for that. Your Spanish is awesome. I don?t feel the need to fan anymore sunshine. So, what I am trying to say is that your position here is secure. We know you feel the need to defend a certain person, and we (me anyway) respect that.

A yickity-yak board would be fine. Baja.com has one exactly as described by Tucker. Now, this doesn?t mean anything, but when I think of the name ?Tucker,? I think of, ?And Mr. Tucker ? he?s such a,,,,,,,, fine guy.? I didn?t make that one up. It is in a song lampooning Green Acres sung to the tune of Neil Young?s Heart of Gold.

Did you hear the one about,,,,,,,,,,, yep, a yak board couldn?t hurt.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2003 at 07:35 AM
Packoderm......

U2U that one to me, I don't think I've heard it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.