Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Handheld Marine VHF
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 08:38 PM
Handheld Marine VHF

Awhile back, I bought a pair of FRS handhelds to use when I needed close communication with the spouse. Unhappy with the quality of trans/rcv and range, I considered buying a more expensive set, but then I decided to simply buy a couple of Marine VHF handhelds for the same purpose. Better Quality and Longer Range.

I received a flyer this month from West Marine including a Pair of Cobra two-watt handhelds complete for $79.99. Received the same ayer, charged the Batts and took them down to Home Depot to test out. Great volume, quality and reception. Beats Heck out of the FRS band units. They come complete with (2) AC chargers, NiCad AAA batt packs (can also use Alkaline), two plastic pouches (they aren't rated waterproof).

Super Deal. Cobra Model HH200.

www.westmarine.com

Odd. Gif didn't load. OK. There it is.

[Edited on 8-17-2005 by MrBillM]

[Edited on 8-17-2005 by MrBillM]
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 08:51 PM

It is against the law to use VHF's for off water purposes, and extremely poor conduct. Maybe you'll get away with in Mexico, but no way in the US. Yes, I realize many may do it in MX, but that still doesn't change the facts of proper usage.

Channel 16 is for emergency use.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 08:53 PM

cool deal thanks for the info MrBillM

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 08:58 PM

We bought 12 mile range FRS's. From our house near the south end of the Bay at Bahia de Los Angeles I can copy La Gringa, but it's not 100%. Price was $69.00 at Best Buy.
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 09:04 PM

Guess JZ must live in US and never been to the Sea Of Cortez
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 09:28 PM
There's always ONE in every crowd

Of course, they're illegal. I had enough respect for the people here to not bother mentioning that.
As far as "poor" conduct, Oh Well. Just like Rectums, everybody's got an opinion.

Getting Caught ? Anyone who did would have to be dumber than even I could imagine. Today, I was at Home Depot in Palm Desert using Canal 72 (ship to ship). The likelihood of being DF'ed by the FCC was just about Zero. The same would be true anywhere else. You're not going to hold long conversations. Back when my sailboat was in San Diego Bay, I had VHF radios in both of my trucks. Of course, we used phony boat names and ID's, just in case.

Back when I belonged to the Coast Guard Auxiliary, we all used our handhelds in that way, including the Coast Guard officers we worked with. We simply didn't abuse it.

Anyway, the purpose of this post was not to start a discussion on morality, but simply to pass on info on what I think is a great deal. At $40 each, they will outperform the high-end FRS units for less money.
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 09:39 PM

Thanks MrBillM Have an undien but need another, why not two. We all use but never abuse. Go to another channel please. 16 is only a monitor channel, better then cb for range and emergencies
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 09:53 PM

Try posting that on a real boating site and you'll see extreme anger from about 10K people. If you did use it more than passingly in the US they would find you.

[Edited on 8-17-2005 by JZ]
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-16-2005 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by roundtuit
Guess JZ must live in US and never been to the Sea Of Cortez

Have a house and boat on the SOC. 5 trips of over 500 miles each down the coast of Baja and mainland MX. And you...
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 05:05 AM

GMRSs work better than FRSs.

Everybody at the trailer parks in mulege uses VHF as their local chat net. nobody gripes and they stay off the emergency freqs as far as i can tell.
plus many monitor the boat freqs to see what the action is or if anyone needs help. glad the FCC is not patrolling the SOC.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 09:52 AM

I am glad the FCC or any other U.S. Gov't agency is monitoring the SOC. That is why we go there....to get freedom and away from U.S. Gov't intervention into our lives.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 10:06 AM
Added Advantage

The added advantage of using VHF handhelds in Baja over the FRS is that you are on the same network that the local residents are using in the event you need to communicate for emergency purposes.

Mike, that 12 mile range is impressive for an FRS. I have taken my Uniden Atlantis 5-watts into San Felipe and have been able to communicate with my base unit in Percebu, roughly 20 miles. Once past the South end of town (around the AM-PM) reception is still OK, but transmission is patchy. Since there is no longer a clear line of sight, I'm unsure whether they would work farther over open desert or ocean.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 10:07 AM

Just to be picky, I assume when you say "VHS" you are refering to the Marine channels using Very High Frequency rather than the many other commercial and ham frequencies in that catagory (VHS).

I personaly prefer a ham 2 meter set modified to transmit on these frequencies. You can monitor other than just Marine Bands - race teams etc. and in a emergency you have more watts of transmit power.

Yes, yes - not legal to transmit on frequenct not approved for that radio. In emergency - any transmission can save a life or limb.

:O

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 10:39 AM
Picky

You're Right. That is pretty picky. The entire thread has been a discussion of Marine VHF as opposed to FRS. My sincere and humble apologies for failing to include the word "Marine" in a subsequent post. I can only be thankful for your perception and swear to learn from the experience.

Two-Meter is fine and superior to "MARINE" VHF, but the problem there is that everybody you want to communicate with must have one. At one time in our area, it was the preferred mode for communications between Camp and town. Over a period of a couple of years I brought down four 2-meter mobiles purchased in the U.S. for the camp owner and his sons. At a sale price of $300 for the unit itself plus antenna, etc, they are a little steep.

Now that Cel Phones are so common and cheap in the San Felipe area, they no longer use their 2-meters.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 11:14 AM

I've been getting 2 meter sets for about the same price as marine. and modify them to work on the same marine channels Some of the older 2 meter can't be modified though. Even here a few miles north of San Felipe where most people have telephones, the marine channels are still used quite a bit among neighbors.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
... Even here a few miles north of San Felipe where most people have telephones, the marine channels are still used quite a bit among neighbors.

:biggrin:

Yes they are, everyday................

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 12:57 PM

MrBillM

Just went to west marine's web site and according to them ,they do not have any such item. Cobra model HH200, correct ??
Maybe you're a special customer:?::?:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 01:01 PM

In La Paz the VHF Marine radios are used everyday amoung the Yachties and the local homeowners. A few years back there was a crackdown on the use of portable radios especially in Cabo but not heard of anything lately.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 01:16 PM

When we first built down here, no one had phones. VHF's were our only means of communicating.
I still depend on ours when the sh*t hits the fan. If I stand on our second floor with my handheld(if we still have power our antena for our base also picks it up), I can get the Port Captain in San Lucas and when he closes the port I know to battan down the hatches. They give pretty good reports on hurricane locations too but all in Spanish, of course.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2005 at 01:55 PM

Van,

I just checked the web site and called; they do have them.
I bought two new 5w models instead for $99 each.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.