BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does anyone have an update on how Jimmy is?
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 02:22 PM
Does anyone have an update on how Jimmy is?

Thanks for any update you might share. Debra
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 02:35 PM

I saw him again on Sunday. He is responding well to treatments and is actually gaining weight. They are talking about sending him home soon and he just may get a Screamin' Airline trip home.

His phone rings almost non-stop with well-wishers and one time he was handing out autographed copies of his book to his fellow roommates. When he leaves for treatments, he puts a sign on his bed (with his signature Grinning Gargoyle pic) JIMMY SMITH SLEPT HERE.

Gotta love him....

[Edited on 10-7-2003 by jeans]

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 02:56 PM
Thanks for the updade Mindy

I thought about giving him a call, but having been in a hospital myself I know it's, for rest and recovery and I didn't want to wear him out.

Bernie and the rest of you are deliverng our messages of love and hope, thank you! Debra
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 04:30 PM
i'm trading e mails with his daughter daily

and will go see him wed night. looks like this weekend's targetted return flight home to los barriles will move to next weekend. blame it on the weather for now - plus he needs to be up for it.

thx to a lot of generous people here and especially at the baja.net board, his transportation, air or ground, is covered.

we will probably fly him out next sat. 18th.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 09:35 PM

Jeanset al,
That sign is the one that he gave me when he stayed at my home in La Salina last May. I took up to the hospital when he first checked in--seems like a hundred years ago. I have been up there almost every day. spent some quality time with Sally this day because he was flat worn out and sleeping. I'll pick her up at Dave Deals house and take her back to her post at Don Jimmy's side in the morning. As others have said things are very much up in the air for a bunch of reasons and the most important, As Captain Mike says, is that he has to be up for the trip. He wants to get home to "My Lupe" but the logistics of the trip are daunting. Needs oxygen all the way and has to be greeted at the other end with an oxygen supply and an oxygen generator. Concern about the roads. Mike can fly him there BUT all the things he needs to survive need to go by road and they must arrive at the same time.
It IS wonderful to see all of the Baja people who come by the hospital and 'tip their hats to the Don of Baja' Seems like he has the entire staff wound around his fingers. If our thoughts will help him through this then he 'should' be home free BUT we all will have to wait and see. He is scheduled to come back up sometime in December for a re-evaluation but I wonder if he will want to make the trip back. AMIGOS!! People helping People--that's what it's all about.
Saludos to all of you helpers!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 09:47 PM

I hope to be there tomorrow/Wednesday afternoon or evening. My planned Sunday visit got postponed, sorry Jimmy! I wish you were up to breakfast (on me) at Sunrise Cafe in Vista, as before with Dave Deal! ?Viva Baja y Viva Jimmy Smith!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2003 at 02:52 AM
Don Jimmy

David, please give our love to Jimmy, we look forward to seeing him this fall....

George & Deborah
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2003 at 07:41 AM
Bernie - sounds like a tough call

if the 18th doesn't work out i'm game also for the 25th. or, if driving is best for him, we can contact Desert Bull and get his fund transfered to me or you so they'll have lots of cash for the ride.

I'll see him tonight early.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2003 at 08:55 AM
Don Jimmy

Mike,

Ditto above, please.....

Capt. George
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-8-2003 at 02:23 PM

I just read all your comments to the Ol Man himself. You know it raised a chuckle and a big smile from him. As Bernie sez, your well wishes do go a long way towards making him feel better.

The course of radation has left him pretty pooped out, I expect it will take a few days to re-coop his wind. But, you got to know, as soon as he catches his breath, he will be out of here, down the road to Dona Lupe and his home. Don't think we will be able to hold him here much longer than the 15th, max.

Today his greatest wish is for just one more road trip down his beloved camino real. We shall see, the big deal is making sure he will have enough oxygen to make the treak. To date the only place we know of where he can refill the tanks is La Paz, and nada in between, and we all know what a long streech that be.

Ah well, Hurricanes worries gone, and soon so shall I, tomorrow I fly home. But, with a peaceful heart knowing that "Baja's Living Treasure" is in the good and loving hands of his friends. So glad that I can go home knowing he will be watched out for and visited by You All.

We do Thank YOU ALL mucho, mucho for all your kind thoughts.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 10-8-2003 at 06:50 PM
Oxygen for Dopn Jimmy

Lu Ann and I were up to see the Don this day after I played Taxi for Sally from Dave Deal's --no tip at all! As I said a little before the logistic are a nightmare. CAN ANY AMIGO'S TELL US OF "Medical" oxygan supplies between here and home for Jimmy. If we can confirm this stuff then he may be able to amble down his road. If not then ther is no choise but to go by air!
PLEASE SEARCH YOUR MINDS AND LET ME AND SALLY KNOW!
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 10-8-2003 at 06:56 PM

Captain Mike, Very sorry I keep missing you--Guess I'll have to book the beast for a trip just to get to talk to your again!
David K
Honored Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 10-8-2003 at 11:58 PM
Wednesday Evening Visit

Earlier this evening, my daughter Sarah and I visited with Jimmy. It was good to see the 'Grinning Gargoyle' again... and he did provide a grin (and some great historical story telling, too)!

Also there, was Capt. Mike and Chuck Potter ('Baja Source' Jimmy's publisher and friend who brough Jimmy to San Diego's VA hospital)
I got to meet Sally, Jim's daughter (whose Nomad handle 'Eli', I learned, is short for Elizabeth, her middle name).

The first topic of discusion was transportation and oxygen tanks. Seems that Capt. Mike will be flying Jim back home in 10 days, so needing oxygen sources along the way is not a problem.

Jimmy has been going through some very difficult treatments that would tax the humor of most of us... not Jimmy! The subject of meeting Bernie's wife (Lou Ann) and her Californio Rancho family line, brought out a very detailed history of Pio Pico (the last Mexican governor of Alta California) and other personalities from Jim's vast memory. Then Jimmy gave such a detailed account of the battle of San Pasqual (Mexican-American War), you'ld swear he was there!!!

As Eli is flying home tomorrow, replies from Jimmy from his room may be few, but he reads this forum.

Thank you Don Jimmy for the time Sarah and I was there, the pleasure was OURS!!! tu amigo, David Kier :-)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 07:42 AM

David, You and Sarah were out the door before I realized it and I didin't even get the chance to tell you what a pleasure it was to meet you and give you both a proper hi-dios, so please let me extend it here and now.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 07:45 AM
see thread above (or below now that i added this??)

anyway, he's weak but will get home next week. Lots of fine folks contributed to this travel expense for 1st class treatment. He's very appreciative and even humbled by it all. I'll post a full report on his return next week.

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 04:51 PM
Thanks all...........

for the update..........

.Capt. Mike, The last I heard was that his Dr. thought it best that he not fly, I understand that he wants to ride.......If there is anything I can help with, PLEASE let me know, you have my email. Gods speed Jimmy!
David K
Honored Nomad

smile.gif posted on 10-9-2003 at 07:40 PM

Debra, I think the doctor made Capt. Mike promiss to fly low (just above the boojum trees), and then gave his blessing!

Eli, it was a pleasure to meet you, as well. I hope it isn't too long before I make a trip to Los Barriles, again. Then we can have a longer visit and a proper adios!

Hopefully, it will be to see 'Leo' get moved into a proper sized enclosure, thanks to all who helped up north and you folks down south and special thanks to 'jeans' and her http://landsendanimalfund.org

[Edited on 10-10-2003 by David K]

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 07:46 PM

See post on Jimmy Calling War Council.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.