Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: G.P.S. in Baja ca.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 07:12 AM
G.P.S. in Baja ca.

I was wondering how many Nomads have or use gps while in Baja Ca? also how do you use it most of the time?

I am looking to upgrade my gps. I have a small Garmen E trex that has been very good to me for many years. but now I an thinking that I would like to have more fetchers and possibility mapping capability. I need your suggestions on what model you think is best for use in Baja ca?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 07:32 AM

Bruce,
I too want a new GPS.
I would like to know if one exist that would serve double duty in boat(fish finding) and truck ?
Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your post:yes:
Albert

[Edited on 8-20-2005 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 07:42 AM

Bruce:

Me too.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Bruce,
I too want a new GPS.
I would like to know if one exist that would serve double duty in boat(fish finding) and truck ?
Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your post:yes:
Albert

[Edited on 8-20-2005 by Al G]

both Garmen and Magellan have models listed on the Internet for duel use. I know we have some Nomads that are experts on G.P.S. and we Will see which ons they like.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 08:26 AM

I have a Megellan GPS315, several years old, I bought at Walmart. Cheapest I could find at the time with the least battery drain. Two AA's last 12 hours according to them. Many other good ones out there I'm sure.

I use mine mostly to check where I'm at when exploring around Baja off road. I take a reading then compare to the almanac. I also use it when chasing in an off road race to find our broken down vehicle. Was very handy in the Baja 500 race up around Mike's Sky Ranch.

I got it at first thinking I would go hiking and would map my course but I haven't done so yet, maybe soon.
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 08:28 AM

Go with Garmin. I have used a Garmin 195 in my plane for years. Now have Garmin 430/MX20, but still use the 195 as back-up. The later models have better cartography that includes most roads and highways. Even on the Airplane models I get all major highways all the way to Cabo.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 08:36 AM

I use a Garmin 12XL - a outdated model by todays products - but for Baja it works well for me. I record tracks as well as waypoints in my back road travel, save them to my laptop and then can print maps using topo's for a base or satellite photos as a base with my track overlayed. I can also load the track back into the unit and have it to follow for an other trip. This model doesn't support enough trackpoints for things like the Baja 250 etc. to be loaded though sections could be loaded to follow while chasing etc. If I were to change brand (I like Garmin - quality service etc) probably go with a Lowrence for the almost unlimited track points etc.

My Fish Finder is Rubens.

:coolup:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 06:47 PM

Garmin has 90+% of the market and slighty better maps. Nearly all GPSs are OK for land & water use with different maps available.

I'm on my seventh GPS and teach an occasional GPS class for the Desert Explorers.

See http://gpsinformation.net/ for tons of info.

A good site for Garmin discount prices and excellent support is http://www.tvnav.com/

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 07:06 PM

Garmin GPS's are a good product--between work and play I have five. Just be aware that if you want Garmin maps or charts, buying the GPS is just the start. Each chart region (like Southern California to Baja) costs an additional $100-150. I wouldn't mind that price so much if there were no problems with the charts, but at least the charts arround Loreto are misprojected (the USA is okay). Your actual position will be approximately 1/4-1/2 mile northwest of the position indicated on the GPS chart. I have spoken with Garmin about the issue on numerous occasions and they 1) recognize the problem, 2) have no solution, and 3) refuse to proactively let purchasers or uses know.

I also recently bought Garmin compatible maps from lbmaps.com. The one I got is a fairly simple highway and offroad map. I have not field tested it yet, but the major roads look alright on the computer screen. There are lots of other roads digitized, but I have no idea of the source of the information nor the accuracy. I do know that when I project the locations that do not work on the native Garmin maps, they appear at the correct location on the lbmaps.com map. JK
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 07:38 PM

Jk thanks alotfor this http://www.gps4baja.com/

what is your favorite GPS unit for Baja hands down price is no object?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 08:13 PM

Hey guys, first post after a lot of lurking. I use a Magellan Meridian Gold, it has been a good unit but does not have a magnetic compass or a barometer, both things I would like to have. I am going to get one of the new Baja Laurance units, big screen and perm. Mount for the car or boat. PCI race radios has gone and vibration proofed the electronics inside, when you buy there race prepped units. They have color and B/W model. I will most likely get another smaller handheld with a compass that works when you are not moving.

Kenneth
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 08:25 PM

Those from PCI are very nice units - great set up.

:yes:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 08:28 PM

I use a Garmin Street Pilot 2620, very happy with it.
++Ken++
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2005 at 08:43 PM

Geronimo welcome glad you started posting.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 03:38 AM

sorry guys.....but the LOWRANCE 1000 beats garmin - a 5" dia map and it is tops for air,water/boat and car road use. check it out Bruce. it is the most flexible hand held and mounts any way with RAM accessories. it has unlimited maps capability too via flash and data import USB.
i love mine so much! always on my yoke backing up my panel Northstar and in my Explorer when the need arises. soon will do duty in a boat.

bigger is better.
IF i were to get a garmin it would be a 196.
but LOWRANCE is better value all models IMHO

and garmin does make fine products too. i really like LOWRANCE tho.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 04:26 AM

hey, try this one!

http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-maps/gps-mapping/maps-baja.h...

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 09:10 AM

The Garmin wins hands down in any serious comparison. If you want a Lawrence, be sure to get two and then you can tie a string between them and the kids can use them for phones.
Since these are really specialized tools, the first thing to do is to decide what you want to use them for. If you are a fisherman and plan on using the unit primarily on your boat your best choices are units like the 172C or a combination unit with sonar and GPS. (I personally prefer to have two different units and just installed a 172 on the new boat).
If you are going to be doing marine as well as backroads and possibly some hiking or other backcountry, hands down the best unit is the Garmin 60CS . Not only does this have color, downloadable maps like topographic, but has altitude and ascent plus descent rates.
So the best place to start is to decide what you want it to do and then get the best unit for your primary usage.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 11:12 AM

Whatever kind you might choose, if you are going to be using it in the "off road" and "back road" areas of Baja or anywhere, and also use topo maps, choose one that supports UTM grid coordinates. Much easier to locate points on a paper map than using lat/long. (I believe) Some of the ones designed for in auto use only, (Street Pilot series I think) don't support UTM.

:saint:

No Bad Days

jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 11:46 AM

I use a Garmin iQue in the vehicle and a Garmin 60C in the kayak. Cptn. Mike is right, bigger screens are better, but I have found that a small color screen beats a larger B/W screen hands down. Go for the largest color screen you can get, if you intend to use maps or charts. JK
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 8-21-2005 at 02:24 PM

Has anyone had any experience with the Lowrance Globalmap 480 or 480c? It looks like the large screen and high resolution would make it ideal for trail use. I have a Garmin 45 that has worked well for lots of years but it's impossible to read quickly on the trail due to the small screen and blocky type.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.